458 Coupe/Spider pricing | FerrariChat

458 Coupe/Spider pricing

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by m.roberts, Feb 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. m.roberts

m.roberts Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2009
    USA
    I think these dealers are NUTS. I don't even want to try to make an offer to them, as they are asking SUCH high prices for these cars.

I love the 458. I recently sold mine and now I think I want back in before I get my 488. I must say though that for the money, I am tempted by the Huracan, mostly for its upgraded looks, speed/performance, and updated interior user interfaces/technology.

Anyways, I am looking pretty hard at 458 spiders from 2012-2014. I really could care less about miles, but I am pretty picky on what options I want.

I see the average pricing from most dealers still sitting in the 260s. I also see more of these cars on the market than there are buyers, probably going to remain this way for a long time. I personally think that the market for a 2012 spider should be about 220 or lower. 240 for a 2014. When dealers are asking 260-320 for a spider, I don't see that it is even worth my time. A lot of these cars I'm looing at have been sitting for 6+ months. In addition, I am noticing a lot of others in their inventory that I remember, but am not interested in. Some sitting for 1 year+.

I have had 2 separate dealers call me in the past week. Both from locations I have NEVER bought from. They had me on their list because of old eBay offers and such. They wanted to try and sell me a car. Then I tell them where I think they market is and they immediately jump on me, telling me how wrong and far off I am. After a minute of me holding my position, then they admit that they are very slow on sales and high on inventory... but no willingness to admit that they want to deal and actually MOVE the inventory.

I don't blame these guys for trying to turn a profit, but at some point, they have to realize that they are out of the market and are scaring off customers by sticker shock. A 2012 458 is now 4-5 years old and not even the current model. I think its not long before every 458 (except speciale) should be sub 220k for retail pricing. If I can get my 488 totally loaded the way I want for 290k, why on earth would I pay anywhere near that for a 458?

Anyways, it is frustrating. I wanted to get opinions of you guys and see what everyone else sees or thinks.

TIA.

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Try to get a nice 458 direct from the owner ....is saves you a lot of $$$

Go networking and try to find them via Clubs or other groups ...

I did that and seller and buyer both benefit !

3. puckybadger

puckybadger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 12, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    This entire new thread is going to be deleted soon because we are not allowed to comment on market value vs asking price. (See rules) :)

4. 2fastforu

2fastforu Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2006
    You won't find 2014 Spider for $240K. I believe $260-270K is the range. I have 2013 with 5K miles listed at $272K OBO. Ultimately I would take somewhere in mid $260. Here's my car if you're interested...2013 Ferrari 458 Spider Base, $272,000 - Cars.com.

5. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Exactly, dealers are not going to loose money on a car. They have high overhead and like to make around $30$K on all cars new and used in the V8 series. Thus if duydle wants and the market is 265 (which is probably about right/slightly high for a 2013 spider) then a dealer would probably take is car in trade for about 235K and mark it up to 270. Maybe you get them down to 260. Your best bet is to buy from a private party like duydle IMO where depending on the situation he takes 255. Thus you've saved 5-10 grand from dealer pricing and he saves 20 grand on trade and gets the car out of his garage..... And no I don't know him or his car, Im just sayin'....

6. m.roberts

m.roberts Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2009
    USA
    I'll give you that on a 2014, but what about a 2012, den heavily optioned? 260 is crazy imo

7. 2fastforu

2fastforu Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2006
    #7 2fastforu, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    I was curious how much Ferrari of Seattle would take my car for. They asked for $235K and told me they would resell for $265K. So RCorsa, you're absolutely right about wanting $30K profit. BTW RCorsa, I should have you negotiate for me:) LOL...probably my car is valued more in low $260s. At this point my wife is telling me not to sell but I'm thinking ahead when we have to move to a better school district for my kids. I'm not paying private high school for 4 kids:) If I don't have any takers, I'll just keep driving and enjoy the car.

8. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    You may be able to find a 2012 or 2013 for very close to 2010 2011 prices. There seems to be bottom right now dealers aren't willing to cross unless high mileage or tainted title. I agree it's not logical. For example take a 340k 2013 spider sold for 270k that's 80% of MSRP. Every year should represent 5% decrease at least. But then you see 2011 coupe MSRP 250k asking 215k when they should be selling 70% of MSRP which is around 175k.

There's an obvious bottom that dealers are holding on to for now and it's 200k for low mileage no story cars.

9. 2fastforu

2fastforu Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2006
    Agree, 260 on 2012 is nuts. I wouldn't pay for that price. More like 240 range.

10. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Not sure about the spider prices but coupes are selling. Few people I know are searching and they keep getting out bid. 488s are coming out to be 295-305 average but some of those have a 12-18 month wait list and only available to certain buyers. 488 spider even longer and 30k more expensive . I do agree that 2012 spiders should be in 220-230 k under 10k miles and I have seen a few. Usually black and they wind up selling really quickly.

11. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Only thing I would add is the definition of a market price is when a buyer and seller agree on a price and a transaction takes place. So, buyer wants to pay $220k. Seller wants $270k. No one is buying at $220k. No one is selling at $270k. Seems obvious neither $220k nor $270k is the market price, no?

12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the rule is no commenting on market value in the classified section. They wont delete a thread in the regular forum.

WWofCars has a beautiful Pozzi spider - didn't ask about price

13. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

I think that's right about coupes. I know a dealer that just sold several in the course of a week's time.

14. Scuderia Verde

Scuderia Verde Karting

Apr 27, 2015
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Rob
    You may have already mentioned this, but what is the year, colors etc. Is it still under warranty? Do you have any pics?

15. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    We just paid 225 for a 2012 Italia. Really low mileage with ton of options. We had a deal on a maxed out 2011 for 215 but deal fell apart. Not our fault. I think we paid top dollar for this one but it was what we wanted when we wanted it. 5-8K wasn't going to stop me from getting the car we wanted.

The market makes its prices. We turned down a car in CA bc it was too expensive.

16. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Prices on 458 will continue to come down as 488 start to appear... And once 488 start to hit the used market that is when the 458 will bottom out.

17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Economically speaking: yes ! ...

But in Europe we don't really see that happening at this moment with good cars ......

18. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Is anyone else tired of this interminable obsession with the level of 458 prices, or is it just me? Fred

19. 458oz

458oz Guest

Aug 14, 2006
    +1

20. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    + 458

21. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I've seen it with every model since I've been on this site.

22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    yes, add me to the list!

23. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    + me !

24. GiveMeSomethingICanUse

Jan 26, 2016
    I think any person who worked hard for their money wants the best deal they can get. For the super rich who make north of $1M/month it hardly matters but to others it makes sense to be price oriented and pursue deals in line with the true market. The 458 is a desirable car because it drives so incredibly well and doesn't have many of the past Ferrari maintenance issues. The fact that it's also the last of its kind (NA) and the 488 hardly makes for a satisfactory upgrade to those who value exhaust note as a bigger part of the Ferrari experience means the 458 will hold its value better than some people might want to accept. I agree the spiders are overpriced right now, and need to come down but the problem is a lot of these dealers bought them at relatively high prices and they can't seem to move them. Every day that goes by they're losing money but a smart dealer will unload at a smaller profit rather than sit and wait for the customer who doesn't care about the price. 30K profit is pretty normal. When I went to trade in my gallardo in 2012 the lambo dealership offered me $65K for it. I sold it on consignment a few months later for $105K (yellow 2006 coupe).

25. boeckman2003

boeckman2003 Karting

Oct 7, 2015
    The problem with all of these pricing threads is they are mostly all opinion based. I'd like to see for once someone take a stats-based approach.

There are so many variables in price including the most variable of all things, emotions.

Location, type, condition, miles, color, dealer, desire-to-sell, desire-to-purchase, competitive opportunity (other cars).

If anyone on this thread can create a statistical model for the above variables, you should be working for Nasa, etc. Otherwise, it's all opinion.