Buick Regal Grand National purchase | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Buick Regal Grand National purchase

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Michael B, Jan 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Good luck Michael and I am sure, with patience, you will get it figured out.

2. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes thank you. I did get the puck out. The puck arm & guide had become one. I dont think it had been driven in some time.

I took the downpipe out of the car & pressed out the guide. It took a lot of pressure but then with a "pop" - it slid out.

I think I am going to do a dump pipe for straight no muffler action / now that I have it apart this far. Heck why not ~ right?

3. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    If your state does not have safety inspections, unless you know someone, you could do both. I removed the muffler from my '99 Miata and loved it and when it was inspection time the shop almost said no but since the cat and resonator were still in place I passed. Could also not be an issue considering the year.

My old '95 SC300 had a 2jzgte/T78 swap and I ran a straight pipe setup but I did have a single out back can setup like the Supras, God I loved that engine and the sound was incredible.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Constantly. The hose was junk. It was silicone, so slippery and very thin so the clamp could not compress the material. Under pressure it just slid the clamp off the end. One night after work one of my coworkers was changing hoses on his big block Ford truck. I looked at one of the old radiator hoses and sure enough it was the same diameter so I cut a straight section off his old one and it worked perfectly for as long as I had the car.

5. SBR1

SBR1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2015
    Great car, congrats! I remember in early 87 I had an 85 Z28 with the 305 TPI engine and I caught a red light and a GN pulled up next to me. I figured there was no way that a little V6 would beat me, well I proceeded to get my doors blown off. I went the next day to trade my Z 28 in and drove a GN right out of the showroom door! Two weeks later, I raced an 87 Vette and beat him so I knew that I made a good move. I later modified the car and it was a consistent 10 second car. I should have kept it.

6. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hey thank you.

I have it all back together & ran an initial test to see if all of the wastegate woes were remedied (seemed to check out) - but I have yet to drive it as the roads in my area are salt baths.

So today I am going to clean up a few things and look for dry roads.

7. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I found a dry one...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW2RnMyoFW4[/ame]

8. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
  9. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #84 Michael B, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Just crusing around in this time warp. Met up with a late model modded turbo import coupe today. He held me off by a car from 30-90. :(

New performance chip & injectors currently en-route! ;)

11. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Plus a set of Street Legal Drag Radials and possibly even a meth/water injection kit or a wet NOS 100 shot. ;)

12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Did he inform them that on the street torque is most relevant?

13. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #88 Michael B, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    News bulletin: MichaelB got another Grand National... In related news the market sees an upward spike in Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company today...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywuZbf83Lxg[/ame]

14. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Michael,
    I am going to checkout/test drive a '87 GN this coming week, might be driving it home the same day if all the details fall into place.

Wish me luck.

15. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Hope it works out for you. Cool car!

16. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Youre thinking about buying a 29 year old 75,000 mile performance car without having it inspected by a professional?? :eek:

17. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Nice catch David as I did fail to mention that I would certainly have a PPI done before signing on the dotted line. I am still undecided and may just wait for a better time or unmolested example as the one I was looking at does not have a stock hood or the stock wheels. The wheels are Weld Racing rims but maybe the stockers come with it.

Thanks for the reminder,
    Gregg

18. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I assume you're taking about the car over on W. Belfort. I'm sure you looked at the CarFax and realize that car is not all it is represented to be. According to the CarFax it has been driven 1,900 miles in the past 20 years and has been auctioned off multipl times in the past 18 months.

19. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Correct David and I did review the CarFax report and the history is very questionable. Frankly speaking I was not about to buy the first GN I found just because it is local, I have not made that mistake in 30+ years. I did join the turbo Buick forum and I have seen some very well maintained and cared for GN's in the $13K to $15K range but the price is not the deciding factor as we all know what's a few extra grand when the RIGHT vehicle comes along.

Once again my gratitude to you David and I know you do not want me buying a lemon.

20. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Not the impression you gave when you posted this Saturday:

Buying "toy" cars is fun, but frankly, you need a 4 door Honda Accord and a steady job before you start looking at old performance cars.

21. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
  22. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    You know what I cannot understand is why some of the members here are constantly berating another person/member, acting all 'high and mighty' as if they know it all.

Frankly speaking I feel sorry for you.

23. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    It's not berating when it's merely using your own words to point out the absurdity of your various dreamer posts.

Mark

24. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Still out messing around...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpuIi_uqFlQ[/ame]

25. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ