Is the clutch on a 308QV adjustable? | FerrariChat

Is the clutch on a 308QV adjustable?

Discussion in '308/328' started by scudF1, Feb 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    The clutch on my QV engages kind of higher than I would wanted to? Likely it doesn't slip so I don't think its a sign of replacement. However, I would like to know if there is a way I can adjust it to engage lower. Any thoughts?

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It is adjustable.

3. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    There are actually two adjustments. One adjusts pedal height (the adjustment on the end of the clutch cable) and the other affects how the clutch engages.

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #4 Rifledriver, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    In reality both only adjust pedal height. It is a constant contact bearing so there is no freeplay to adjust, just the pedals relation to it. In the early cars there was an upstop on the pedal and not adjusting it took pressure off the clutch allowing it to slip. On the later version all it does is make the pedal position more convenient.

5. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Thanks for all the replies.

6. Sean308

Sean308 Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2011
    Victoria, Australia
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #6 Sean308, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Forgive me if I say the wrong number but I think it is 6 on the diagram. I cant see it clearly on my computer. I always adjusted that one to adjust the clutch. Basically in simple terms the more you spread the arms apart the lower the pedal will go. Loosen the two lock nuts and turn the center nut to adjust it. I always cleaned everything off with some parts cleaners before hand to make the nuts move easier. You would be surprised how much dirt, grease and oil get over those parts. The one that attatches to the cable I would only adjust if there was any slop in the cable which there shouldn't be. These cables are worth replacing if you see any fraying at all. I have had a few unravel on me a time or two.

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    What went wrong if after you "adjust" the clutch and the clutch pedal is suddenly sitting on a very different plane than the brake pedal? They are no longer even with one another.

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The only object of the exercise is to bring them level. It has no other real effect except in the carb era cars. Just adjust until pedals are even.

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That was my understanding. About 15 years ago I had an idiot work on it. Among other things he told me my clutch was WAY out of adjustment which I thought odd because it felt fine.

So he adjusted it and it was way off compared to the brake pedal level. He told me it had to be that way for the clutch adjustment to be correct and that I needed to replace my clutch but this would buy me some time.

I left and didn't go back. Eventually the pedal settled back to normal (how I have no earthly idea but it did without anyone touching it but me and my left foot)

I drove on that clutch for about 12 more years and a **** load of track time. When I replaced it, I did so because I had put nearly 60,000 miles on it and I was fairly convinced it was the original one (by then I was at about 112,000 miles). If it had been replaced before, it was prior to Apen's ownership and that takes us back to about 1993. I only did it because I was in for several other things and I just wanted to refresh it since I really felt I was on borrowed time by that point for no other reason other than its age, mileage. The disc still had a good bit of material on it. I bet I could have gone another 25,000 miles. It's hanging on my garage wall now.

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Our 328 in prior owners hands broke a belt and got a very poor engine overhaul as a result. I believe at that time (I have no idea when that was but a number of years and many miles ago) the clutch was replaced. I did a big rebuild/modification to the motor and reinstalled the old clutch. Just by eyeball I guess it was 50% worn. I can guarantee you it will still be the same clutch when I die or the motor is back out for another overhaul, which ever comes first.