R.I.P. Luigi Della Grotta | Page 10 | FerrariChat

R.I.P. Luigi Della Grotta

Discussion in 'Canada' started by bernardo66, Feb 5, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I suppose it depends on the judge(s) and the show. Documentation would always help.

From what I understand, I don't think the car would qualify for Classiche because of those seats. It's not something the factory did, nor offer. You'd have to be a Gianni Agnelli or a Sultan of Brunei to get custom made stuff from the factory back then! A dealer - much like Mr. Luigi - would have to take it upon themselves to do it and I doubt the current group of Classiche researchers would grant it authenticity. Do they know or remember who he was? My impression is that Mr. Luigi's ties to the factory ended when Enzo passed away. They had a gentleman's handshake agreement, honoured to the last day.

I just hope the new owner doesn't decide to toss those seats out and put stock ones back in!

2. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Even at $140k Fab, they couldn't find someone local to buy it and keep the car Canadian? Heck, I think FOQ would have gave them that ... In the end , it's their business. I hope they are satisfied with the result .

3. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #228 godabitibi, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    Honnestly I don't think they are satisfied with the result. I know this is less than their expectation. And I personally spoke with persons that would have buy the car to keep it in Quebec at this price.

Very sad situation! This is a lesson of life. When trying to get too much you lose more.

4. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Guys, in life you have to take risks... TRs prices have been on a crazy upswing and the cdn dollar at a very low point so obviously the stars were aligned favorably for a positive result.

In the end they made 100k in 3 years on a car, how many people can say they did better?

I'm sure they were hoping for much more but this is life...they understand it and they accept it going into this auction. C'est la vie!

Also, the auction is not restricted to Americans, Canadians can bid and buy it if they wanted to. It's easy to say after-the-fact that they could have sold it for more right here. If someone here really wanted it that badly, all they had to do was bid.

5. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I suspect they thought the car would do more - I think we are all suprised it did this number. If I were to bet on this car, I would have thought it would have crossed the 200 mark.

Perhaps FoQ would of done better if they had the car, but we will never know. Congratulations to the seller and the buyer, looks like they both did very well in this trade which is always a good thing !

6. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Of course it's a good thing. I'm just expressing my views for the sake of discussion... In the end I'm sure everyone walked away with what they wanted. I and many others are just a little surprised at the outcome given the current market on TR's. And Fab is right, if anyone locally really wanted the car, all they had to do was bid. Such is life...

7. MannyGMT2

MannyGMT2 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2006
    Montreal, Canada
    so if there is one less testarossa in quebec, do the remaining TR's in quebec go up in value? lol

8. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I hope the new owner is at least a Fchatter.

9. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    It is too bad. Why didn't they bid?

10. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Spoke with the seller again yesterday...the auctioneer had warned him that the expectation was between 140-180 so they were not that shocked with the result.

Obviously there is always that hope in the back of your mind that it will hit big but realistically they are fine with the result considering they made over 100k of profit in about 3 years.

The results of that aution were all low in general and very few bidders were present and the amount of bidders online and on the phones were also low for some reason.

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Mr Stroll should have bought it.

12. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    You mentioned you were at the event? Did you notice any chandelier bidding going on? For the little bit of time I was logged on for internet bidding, it seemed to be fast-paced and very seldom did internet bidders pop up on the screen... Mostly floor bidders winning.

13. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    I was not there but Luigi's TR belonged to a close friend of mine and he said very few online/phone bidders and the place was not packed.

14. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    There are always chandelier bidders. Trust me :)

15. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Really? :D

16. isaydingdong

isaydingdong Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    Did Luigi own an f40?

17. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    No.

18. isaydingdong

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    I saw a new f40 in 1991 at his location in Montreal, must have been a customers car?

19. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Does anyone know where his TR actually ended up ?

Is the new buyer an fchatter? Nothing new has popped up in the Testarossa section yet.

Did the car go into a collection ?

20. isaydingdong

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    Someone may step up and claim ownership of that very special Ferrari. Luigi was life long Ferrari supporter and will be missed. I hope his cars will continue to be maintained to his high standards.

21. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    That car was purchased by Stroll as far as I know...

22. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    #247 bernardo66, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    #248 bernardo66, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I was talking a while ago with a local legend here in Vancouver, Gio Colletta, who sold Alfa Romeos, Lancias and the occasional Ferrari and Lamborghini back in the 70s and 80s. He told me, often times, he would get calls from various dealers in the U.S. asking him if he had cars in stock and vice-versa. He mentioned he once took five Ferraris from California and sold them on quite quickly to local buyers. Back then, the "Canadian-spec" cars had the 5 MPH bumpers, emissions equipment and speedos in "MPH" markings, so it would have been easy to shuffle these things across the border between dealers.

On a side note, Gio remembered calling Luigi on a few occasions for info.

25. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Nice :)