'83 Straman Convertible for sale on ebay in New Jersey | FerrariChat

'83 Straman Convertible for sale on ebay in New Jersey

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by rustytractor, Jan 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    #1 rustytractor, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    #2 rustytractor, Jan 17, 2016
  3. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    #3 rustytractor, Jan 17, 2016
  4. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    #4 rustytractor, Jan 17, 2016
  5. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Was your link grabbed by a mobile device?
    Here's the main link:

Ferrari Other 400i | eBay

I'm sure Sam will chime in to document thread with pics :D

6. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    #6 rustytractor, Jan 17, 2016
    I did indeed copy the link on my iPhone.

It's very odd - I just clicked on the link I posted initially and get the item with bidding option (see attached picture). If I click on the link you posted I get no option to bid, just a Buy it Now/Make Offer screen.

What's the car worth in the US ?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Yeah, it's a mobile thing...& testing the market I think, we'll see :D

8. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    The car is about an hour an a half drive for me. I am home this weekend and I could have a look. My PPI would be less than professional but those on this forum know that I do know these cars and I would be looking mainly for electrical issues along with other things I have had issues. Send PM if interested.
    Ken

9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Bruce,

No problems... However, the Seller corrected the VIN and it is: ZFFEB06B000045359.

Here is a link to the original thread I started on 45359 is 2011:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/365-gt4-2-2-400-412/330410-1983-400i-auto-convertible-chassis-45359-ebay.html

Mileage is now 2813x ... so only driven about 370 miles since July 2011.

I will post the pics within the original thread to keep things consistent.

Cheers,

Sam

10. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Russell,

It looks like the Seller has two separate listings for the same car.. with different buy it now prices, etc.

Your link:
    ... eBay item number: 191784636299
    ... Ferrari Other 400i | eBay
    is still active and shows what you screen captured for the BIN price and ends in approximately 4 days 23 hours.

The other listing:
    ... eBay item number: 191769881230
    ... Ferrari Other 400i | eBay
    is also active and will end in 12 hours 42 Minutes.

Very odd...

Cheers,

Sam

11. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    posted twice on ebay, Doc

12. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    now

Jack

13. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    Hey Jack,

Are you the guy who was selling the 308GT4?

14. ulm210

ulm210 Rookie

Feb 16, 2016
    Hello All,

I am new to Ferrari and found this site because of the Ebay auction for this car...

Ferrari Other 400i | eBay

It has now been listed 4 times in the last three months. Todays relist is the first time he has not reduced his BIN so I think we may have finally reached bottom.

I am getting ready to call the seller to get more info and was wondering if any of you have any specific questions I should ask him. I already know the basic questions to ask regarding maintenance performed and by who and when, but do not know what questions might be specific to this car in particular or Ferrari in general.

There is a well regarded Ferrari mechanic within a decent driving distance to me but as I do not have a relationship with him yet (much less own a Ferrari) I am not sure whether he will give me the time of day.

I appreciate any advice you could share.

Regards,
    Dave

15. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Hi Dave, welcome. Aside from the maintenance history questions you've already alluded to, the most important thing to do is a PPI. I purchased my 412 last year from a dealer in NYC and was referred to Tom by others here to do the PPI. I can't recommend Tom highly enough – he was my biggest ally in understanding the condition of the car and was absolutely wonderful to work with. Tom is very knowledgeable about these cars and you'll be in good hands with him.

If you're interested in reaching out to Tom, you can contact him via his website: tomyang.net.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

Cheers!

Ruben

16. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Dave,

Are you looking at the car because it is a reasonably priced Ferrari or because you want a Ferrari 400 convertible conversion? The reason I ask is that there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Ferrari. Buy it only if it is the car you really want, not because it is a Ferrari you can afford.

I say this because it is your first post and you are looking at a relatively inexpensive Ferrari that is a niche market car and more complex and costly to maintain while being less sporty than the 3X8 cars. This car is a great grand tourer but there are now a number of cars that are in its class that will be cheaper for you to own. Even if the car is in great condition, the maintenance will make your eyes water.

If this is the car of your dreams, go for it! However, if you consider this as your entry into the Ferrari experience, I highly recommend you think long and hard as it may dampen your passion for the brand.

Regards,

Art S.

17. ulm210

ulm210 Rookie

Feb 16, 2016
    #17 ulm210, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    Ruben, Thanks, if I move forward I will call Tom. His site is impressive and it looks as if he is only a couple hours away from the car's location.

Art, Yes to all of the above. I currently drive a 560SL on weekends and it is the very first hobby car of mine that my wife actually enjoys. Many times she has said "lets go for a drive". I am itching for the sound only a Ferrari can make but I know she is only interested in a refined drop top experience; it seems that the Straman 400 conversion is the only Ferrari that fits that criteria that I can afford. Also, where I live in the flatlands there are few if any roads that are worthy of a true drivers car like the 308/328. I was looking at Porsche 911/912 as well but again the inherent value associated with the sportiness of the car is lost on nothing but flat, straight, suburban roads.

I first started paying attention to the 400's about 10 years ago when I was also looking at the Maserati Quattroporte's and LaGonda's. I do love the mid- 70's modern four seater sedans that were coming out of Italy at the time. I know they are boxy but they remind me of a Villain or Gangster's car, kinda cool in an uncool way.

$35k is what I can afford and still put $5-6k annually into it. If I go higher on upfront cost, then I will struggle to have available cash annually for maint repairs. No, I do not want a project. Both my wife and I work and weekends are booked up with chores, errands and family activities. Other than minor maintenance (tune up; oil change; interior detailing, etc) I will be farming out most of the work. I never take on any mechanical project that the forum's advise is more than a weekends' worth of work. Do you think with the financials I have planned that it is a reasonable expectation that I can get into a Ferrari and actually enjoy it? One of the things I have particularly enjoyed about the 560 is it is extremely reliable. I can get in it anytime and have it start and run like a top. As our pleasure drives are typically spontaneous I need that kind of reliability.

You said there are a lot of cars in this class that I should look at, can you make a suggestion? I'm open to two seaters, but they must be drop tops. I really like the early MK and XK Jags, but at my price point everything I see is a rolling basket case. Alfa's are too small; same with MG's; we are not looking for a go-kart kind of experience. I am also seriously considering old T-Birds, 55-66, it's just that they lack that je ne se quoi of the Ferrari mystique.

Lastly, I have missed the boat on many investing opportunities due to my conservative financial views. I think, looking at the collector car market (christ have you seen what the 911 prices have done over the last 5 years?) that I may be at the precipice of not being able to afford to get into a Ferrari, any Ferrari, to begin with. How many times have we read or heard someone say that every person who loves cars should own a Ferrari at least once? I am the guy who will stand in the garage at night with a rocks glass in one hand appreciating the design and engineering of my cars.

I am only in the prospecting phase right now. Ultimately, a highly complicated and high maintenance vehicle may not make any sense for my lifestyle or financial capabilities. But, until I get educated and seek advice, I will never know, right? Am I going through a mid-life crisis? Maybe, but not in the sense of wanting to relive my youth, more along the lines of this may be my last best chance.

I am open to any and all opinions and will appreciate each with the spirit it was intended.

Thanks for your time,
    -Dave

18. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    You may want to also look at the Mondial in a drop top, I have ways liked the look of the 400/412 series cars.

19. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    If you truly like this car - and a PPI validates the integrity - then don't miss out. I watched 550s for a long time, then finally pulled the pin on a blue one (my preference) a little over a year ago. I don't need to tell this audience where prices have gone. I would probably not be a buyer today.

20. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    BTW - just a year ago, there was a 550 Straman conversion for sale. On the market for a long time. A beautiful car whose value was debated here ad nauseum. It finally went for ~$117K at auction. I will bet that there are more than a few regrets out there for passing on that bargain...

21. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    My thoughts exactly. Fits your price range AFAIK and maintenance might be a bit easier to absorb although rubber cam belts do cost a bit. Find one with a recent belt change.

Neither the 400i or Mondial will have quite the trouble free peace of mind as your 560SL, but I'm sure you know that.

22. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I personally been watching these 400 serie for a few years now and a convertable would be very nice. The last of the real old style V12 cars.

If someone lives close enough to go look at it and report condition for Fchat members that would be great.

Or do someone know the car enough to comment?

23. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Dave, $5-6k for maintenance is a pretty healthy budget, assuming you start off with a good condition car. Remember the mantra: the most expensive Ferrari you can buy is a cheap Ferrari! Check condition thoroughly! Tom should be great to determine this.

As has been mentioned, the Mondial could also be a great option, but not having driven a Mondial (although I know the platform well as I own a 308), I suspect that the driving experience will be dramatically different from the 400... I'd guess light and nimble sports car with revvy manual-shifting V8 versus heavy luxo-barge V12 cruiser likely with an auto box. Both offer wonderful experience, just way different.

Perhaps driving both is in order? Either way best of luck! Let us know how it goes.

Cheers!

Ruben

24. ulm210

ulm210 Rookie

Feb 16, 2016
    Thanks for the advice everyone... all great info.

Ruben, I spoke with Tom Yang. You are right, he knows his stuff. He admits his knowledge is limited to one PPI for a gentleman a while ago (you?) and has not spent any considerable time tearing into one. Howver, he knows Ferrari's and knows what to look for.

I havealso been in contact with Ken (SouthJersey400i) who has generously offered to perform a PPI as well. I probably will be taking Ken up as he has alot of first hand 400i knowledge and can probably offer as much or more practical information as Tom.

Finally, I just hung up with the seller (Tom). Very nice gentleman and when I inadvertantly repeated questions his answers were identical without sounding scripted.

Here's the story:
    Bought the car in 2014 from someone in RI who bought it "8" years ago in California (It was actually sold in California in 2011). He has had all fluids changed; brake lines; brake pads; fuel lines; no belts but some hoses (anything that needed changing was changed) hydraulics in soft top were cleaned and lubricated; switches for hood release, trunk release and gas cap replaced; power seats were slow so seats were removed and tracks cleaned and lubricated; leather was conditioned and is supple. As the ad states tires are in need of replacement. Says he has a service record from previous owner that shows valves were adjusted at 20k miles.
    Says he has about $4500 into service at a local indy foreign car mechanic.

I'm still interested at this point. It looks like the soonest I can get SouthJersey400i together with the seller will be next weekend. This latest auction will end before then so we will see how that goes. In the mean time please keep chiming in with any info you have, advice, or questions I should be asking the seller.

BTW- I called the 2011 seller, he was a wholesale dealer, bought the car from an estate with a bunch of other cars and really had no memory of the car other than it was clean, ran well and drove on and off trailers and around the lot.

Thanks again everyone,
    -Dave

25. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Awesome Dave... Yep, the PPI Tom Yang did was on my 412.

If the car was in CA and still has the CARB sticker, that makes it a rare bird indeed and potentially more valuable since it can legally be registered in Kalifornia.

On the tires, Longstone (sponsor here) usually has fresh batches and very quick shipping... Tires are expensive, so perhaps use that as leverage for negotiations.

"Local indy foreign car mechanic" is potentially a bit of cause for pause... Visions on some greasy fat dude named "Bubba" that specializes in furrin' cars (e.g. non-Chevy/Ford) pop into my head! These are very complex cars and really require expertise to do some things the right way. Make sure you pay good attention to whatever was touched/serviced. It can get quite expensive very quickly to correct something that's not right with the car. I bet SouthJersey400i will be all over this.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Ruben