Looking for name of a dealership long ago in ABQ | FerrariChat

Looking for name of a dealership long ago in ABQ

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by AMA328, Mar 3, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    Sketchy on the details here, folks, but would appreciate any ideas...

* I did a stint in ABQ 1988-1989 for about a year.

* Was needing some service on a 308 I had at the time.

* Found a couple guys(brothers, I think, late 20s-early 30s), who had recently opened some sort of newer car place on I-25, a bit north of the interchange. I think it was on the west side of I-25, on the access road.

* Don't recall the brand of cars they were handling, but I think it was a minor Euro brand. Nice building, too.

* They were also trying to get biz on sports/exotics, which is how I ended up there.

* They did OK work and got my minor issue fixed, so no problems there.

* The one guy that dealt with me mentioned they'd been hitting Ferrari up for a dealership but had not yet had any success(I guess we know where that idea ended up...).

I was browsing this AZ/NM section and got to wondering who they were and whatever may have happened to them and their dealership. I only dealt with them once, and then shortly thereafter, left ABQ.

2. Bphill22

Bphill22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2008
    Southwest
    Full Name:
    GT3 Racer
    They are John and Aaron Bedford. They are still around in the Albuquerque area and still working on f cars. They grew up in Santa Fe. They do not currently own any dealership to my knowledge but they are really the only guys in this area to have work on your f car.

3. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    #3 AMA328, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
    B-I-N-G-O, we have a winner. I recognize the name Bedford.

Not sure which of them waited on me, but I'm thinking blond hair(? Aaron, perhaps? Been too long) I vaguely recall his brother being noticeably larger than him, too. Nice guy/kid(then!). Seems he liked the color of my ride, as that was a 308GTB, burgundy/saddle, which wasn't your ordinary red/tan car(hot off of Magnum P.I.). That car traded hands some after I sold it and eventually ended up with someone here on Fchat, btw :) No connection to me, but interesting where these cars wind up, down the road.

Guess the dealer thing never worked out; however, I could tell they were real car guys, so I'm not surprised they're still turning a wrench.

Had a strange thing on my 308, in that the distributor cap/wires setup was modified to be a one distributor setup. However, the cap didn't quite fit right. Anyways, somehow I was tooling around the 'hood(slowly) and something happened that stalled the engine, as I recall. Don't remember the details, but was kinda weird, somehow. Turned out a cam belt(uh-oh, here go again w/belts...) had slipped a couple of notches and threw the cam timing off enough to run poorly, altho the engine did continue to run. Had it diagnosed elsewhere, but couldn't figure it out, so I took it over to ABQ shortly after I arrived there and ended up on their doorstep. Took 'em a while to figure it out, but they got it right, fixed it up and off I went. Didn't really harm the engine, but I just couldn't figure out why it was running on the rough side.

Good guys to work with, from my one experience. Dunno if'n they'd remember this incidence, but it was definitely out of the ordinary. Now that I think about it, it may have been that the distributor cap came loose, jammed up the cam, which meant the belt(s) jumped a few notches before the engine shut down. Unusual situation, for sure.

I also remember seeing a dark blue Mondial(QV? Don't remember for sure, tho) in their parking lot one time that really caught my eye, as the color scheme was very striking...no idea who owned it, but it sure looked sharp to my 1989 eyes :)

Thanks for the update...

4. LAracer

LAracer Karting

Jan 4, 2008
    Northern NM
    Full Name:
    Phil
    The name of their shop is La Scuderia Speedshop. I haven't visited them yet, but I emailed them late last year to make sure they really do exist before buying my car, just in case there's something I can't handle myself. Aaron was very friendly and helpful over email; gave me advice on what to look for when buying a high-mileage car. I'll probably make a trip down there just to say hi sometime in the summer.

5. dmn23

dmn23 Karting

Nov 9, 2006
    Back in the 80s there was Speedline Exotics. Mainly F-car repair and the occasional Maserati, and then they had a brief stint where they were the ABQ Land Rover dealer.

6. giade

giade Rookie

Dec 19, 2004
    NEW MEXICO USA
    What is John Bedford's Ph# I ave it Somewhere but cant find it. He does not even Check his Oraraio1 Yahoo eDrezz i dont think.... Devotamente, giade NM USA

7. Bphill22

Bphill22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2008
    Southwest
    Full Name:
    GT3 Racer
    This is the last number I have for La Scuderia------ 505-263-3895