R.I.P. Luigi Della Grotta | Page 9 | FerrariChat

R.I.P. Luigi Della Grotta

Discussion in 'Canada' started by bernardo66, Feb 5, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Who knows what the exchange rate will be in the future!

2. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Man, that is nice.

I remember years ago when I was in sales at a local high-end store and there was a silver on red testa with 6km on it. It was just in for some mild service or something minor.

Never saw it again...

The guy said something about some story of it and Enzo. It bugs me so much that I didn't make notes of some of the cars/stories that I was close to back then...

3. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Same here. So many photos I took of exotics I saw years ago when I was a kid, I never would have thought to write down more info...

I distinctly remember when I first visited Mr. Luigi in 1988, he had a Silver 512BB in the showroom, parked right in front of the front door. It definitely had the lower matt-black Boxer trim, but what was the interior colour?... Lost in the mist of time...

4. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Peter good luck, this could be a white swan event for you ...... Picking up the car at a good price because of low turn out and bidding ...... It would be a great story and dream, I'm routing for you and having this car back on Canadian soil :)

Classicferrarri , good to see you dropping by and having us bask in your presence with a few posts. Hope all is well at your end !

5. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
  6. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
  7. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    The auctions results in general seem softer.

However, a (red/tan) 1993 512TR just went for 220K.

8. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    They chose not to put a reserve to get more action going...in the end I guess it was the wrong strategy. I advised him to sit on this car another 2-3 years, I wish he would have listened to me. Sad sad day...

9. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Resale red I guess....goes to show the ignorance of some bidders. RED TRs are everywhere but a silver one with such a cool story behind it they choose to ignore, amazing???

10. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Thanks buddy, I missed you guys so I thought Id come and bust some cajones. How are you?

11. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    He's still wearing track suits...

12. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Well, as mentioned previously, the exchange rate killed that "dream" in a hurry. With the bidding starting at $100K USD, much like Kramer in the Seinfeld episode: "The Contest", I was out, pretty much right at the start. :D

I didn't bother to watch the rest of the auctions, but seems pricing is varied. The first nine lots were either at, or below low estimate.

13. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I saw your other post in the TR section.

The way I see it, maybe bidders want a TR in original spec and with Classiche certification and this result more or less reflects market value. The modified seats - which are very cool and suit the car perfectly - are not original and there was no mention that the car was Classiche'd. Most people have been convinced that Classiche adds value. I couldn't care less, I can see whether the car is original or not and if it is mod'ed, like in this case, the modifications are worth more. But that's my opinion and not in the majority.

Also, I hope this doesn't offend, but maybe the Canadian connection and story just didn't resonate with the Americans. If it were Luigi Chinetti, or Ron Tonkin, maybe that would have been more recognisable(?).

14. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Peter I think you're spot on. Americans want the Classiche and couldn't care less who Luigi was...

15. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Obvious the color was not popular , and it wasn't the luigi car the Americans knew, I agree with you Peter...I would have never sold that car, let alone for that price.
    Another CDN car off our roads it seems - good luck to the owners that sold, amd the new owners that bought the car.

Peter , sorry to hear it wasn't meant to be - the exchange and taxes etc pushed this car well over 200k CDN.

16. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    I was worried about those factors as well, especially when the thread in the TR section didn't really excite anyone.

So you are all correct: Americans don't care who Luigi was and did not bother trying to find out + Silver + mods probably affected the sales price negatively in the end.

I do wonder about one thing when it comes to a car's "original" status and concours points: If changes are made by an authorized dealer before delivering a car to a customer and all is documented, would that car be considered "original" or not? I would say yes but I may be wrong...does anyone know?

17. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Well as they say in Italian... " Che vergogna..."

18. MannyGMT2

MannyGMT2 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2006
    Montreal, Canada
    how much does the auction house take commission on the sale?

19. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Original is the state of the car straight from the factory, unless it was an authorized factory option that was dealer installed. That's how I understand it.

20. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    I guess it's 10% because bidding ended at 140 and they list the sale price as 154 so that 140 + 14.

The seller gets the entire bid amount of 140 and the seller has to dish out the additional 10%.

Manny, I'm glad you kept the car, I remember when you where on the fence....

even if you do want to sell...wait a couple of years!

21. MannyGMT2

MannyGMT2 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2006
    Montreal, Canada
    ah ok so the buyer pays the fees... so really he only sold it for 140k

22. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Auction house gets 10% from buyer *and* seller. Seller would pocket $140k - 10% = $126k. Sometimes the auctioneer will give the seller a lower rate to help goose the sale if it's teetering near the reserve but if this was no reserve, then no such thing would happen.

Auction house made $28k. Not a bad business.

23. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Wow... at $126 USD, they don't even make $200K cdn... I don't get it... Another Italian saying... " Che fregatura..."

24. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Not in this case, he told me they are giving him the entire bid amount of 140k

25. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Exactly. I wasn't about to finance this purchase. I've taken previous advice to only pay cash for toys. With bidding starting at $100K USD, that's automatically $140K CAD + buyer's comm. ($14K) + shipping (Reliable Carriers quoted $2000 USD to ship it to Seattle, which I would have driven across into Canada) + TAXES which here in B.C. is 12%, so it would have cost me $175,616 at the STARTING bid... Not to mention importing fees. I don't have that kind of cash at my disposal :(

As much as I was hoping for a miracle, I'm not sad that it wasn't meant to be this time. The car is out there now, somewhere probably in the U.S. and I'm sure one day in the future it'll cross my path again. I'm planning to be ready next time ;)

For anyone's curiosity, I posted some pics in the TR section.