Cavallino Magazine index | FerrariChat

Cavallino Magazine index

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by jcavalie, Jan 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hello -

I just inherited from a friend's father, his collection of Cavallino Magazines - starting with Volume II, Issue 1 (Sept/Oct 1979) through Issue 169 (Feb/Mar 2009). It's a little daunting just starting at the beginning and flipping through all of them. Anyone know where I might find an index for them - so I can hone in on the articles that sound the most interesting to me as a start?

Thanks!
    Jim

2. 328PWC

328PWC Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 5, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Cissell
    You might try calling Cavallino (Toll Free: 800-306-6937) as I understand there is an update to the old index, which covered #1 to 100, up to #200. Hope this helps.

3. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks. Will call them Monday.

4. toyfiats

toyfiats Rookie

May 28, 2015
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Did you ever get a response from them? I'd like to purchase only those issues whose main feature is the 250 series, but it's somewhat hard to tell just based on cover photos.

I'm particularly interested in acquiring #175 (restoration of Peter McCoy's Cabriolet).

Thanks.

5. Maciek

Maciek Karting

Jan 20, 2007
    Poland
    Full Name:
    Maciek N
  6. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Cavallino issued a printed index for issues #1 - #100. I don't know if it's still available but it would be worth asking.
    Nathan

7. 328PWC

328PWC Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 5, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Cissell
    It is still available.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yep, get it from Cavallino, talk to Alicia.....she's a member here.....

9. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I would like to see a trading thread for Cavallino Magazines. I bet a lot of members are looking for specific ones.

10. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I inquired with Cavallino regarding the indices, through their website. Will see what I hear back.

11. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Quick update: Jan from Cavallino got back to me. They still have copies of the index for issues 1-100 available, so I purchased one of those. They are working on an index for issues 101-200, but that isn't quite ready yet. Jan was super helpful and order was easy.

12. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    It took me several years to complete my collection of original issues of Cavallino from #1-#211 and I have the index of the first 100 issues. This is all part of my collection of Ferrari subject literature and documents which I call "Ferrari The Golden Years 1947-1967" This collection is very much on going.An appraisal was done recently by Mat and Celia Tavares with a value of $41,775.00.This does not include 1142 individual files on a selection of sns. starting with 01C and going up to the P4 machines. These files are based on the original Barchetta pages which are regularly up dated with photos,published articles going back to the early 1950s and info from many sources including F Chat contributers. These files vary from a few pages to over 200 pages each. I am someone of "a certain age" and between the above and my book reviews on F.Chat, which to date have over 13000 hits, keep me busy daily. Eventually I would like to find a home for all this where it will be kept together and hopefully continued to be improved. Any thoughts on the subject would be welcomed. tonga's crew

13. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My index arrived yesterday and it's well presented and super handy. Easily found the articles referencing my model. Very nice.

14. luke_buzz

luke_buzz Rookie

Jan 20, 2015
    Nottinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Luke Burrows
    I would love to begin a collection of the Cavilling magazines, but living in the UK doesn't really help. And I don't have the disposable cash to plunge into buying a majority-finished collection or back issues.

15. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    allmost every magazine can be found on ebay for reasonable prices, never paid more than 20 euro.. (most around 7-10)

Only nr.2 is missing but I love the search, buying one for 200 is to easy ;-)

Its a wonderfull view in history, a classified add for a 250 lusso at $35000 in 1981 is bringing some regrets...

16. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    At Concorso last week I asked the staff at the Cavallino booth when they expected to have the second index ready. They said they thought it would be mid-2017.

17. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I have over the years collected old copies of AutoSport and Auto Car for my collection. You have one real advantage. The value of the British pound. If you are prepared to use surface mail, and it will take 4-5 weeks, you can save a bunch. I still remember getting Autosport back in the mid 1950s. A month late but who cares. You can also put in a post on the F Chat collector's threads Except for the very early issues they are not that expensive and there are plenty for sale. Regards tonga's crew

18. 550JM

550JM Rookie

Oct 19, 2011
    May I ask what you paid for it, Jim?
    Thanks

19. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Happy to reply in a PM, but I think you need to sign up first as I can't seem to send you a PM.

20. KenGoldman

KenGoldman Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    I just got a complete set of Cavallino magazines. It really is an incredible source of information. I now have many duplicates, if anyone needs help, please let me know

Ken Goldman