Prague | FerrariChat

Prague

Discussion in 'Europe' started by FerRrari, Jan 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    We're likely moving to Prague in the next few months. It seems like prices for Ferraris over there are very reasonable. Are there hidden costs/taxes I need to be aware of? Alternatively I'm thinking of shipping my 360 spider over from the US. Any recommendations for a site like Autotrader to look at used cars in CZ? What about apartments?

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    (will keep short as I burned my fingers an hour ago)

Sreality.cz for houses

mobile.de ? Gebrauchtwagen und Neuwagen ? Deutschlands größter Fahrzeugmarkt for cars in europe

Prague and surroundings have been a point of interest of me for a while, fantastic tax climate for europe yet still quite cheap property.

My only worry is getting to know people there, I've terrible feeling for language so learning a new language for me is hard, I know many younger people in the city speak English but somewhat out I think it's pretty problematic...

Another one is acquiring a mortgage when coming there as an expat thus not having build up a background on your financials, though it's like that for anyone moving countries.

Do keep us up to date, please. There's a fairly frequent poster from CZ, primarily in the 599 section.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/members/106448.html

3. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    #3 FerRrari, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    Thanks for the pointers. We'd likely move for only 2 years, so renting an apartment would likely be my choice. I'm wondering if leasing cars is a thing in CZ.

We'll likely live in an ex-pat area but we'll try to learn the language.

PS- I hope your fingers are ok.

4. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    If you think of importing your US spec 360 check if it can be registered without any needed alternations.

There is no "expat" area in Prague as such.

5. William Tell

William Tell Karting

Sep 2, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Villi
    #5 William Tell, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    You will most likely need to have your 360 changed to make it road legal in EU. Usually the headlights need to be modified. Then you need to pay import tax (you can't leave the car on US plates for years, it needs to be registered in the country). Probably too much of a hassle.

Ferrari's seem to be cheaper in EU that the US.

You should check: http://www.autoscout24.cz

There you will find 294 360's priced from EUR 49'000.00, and 397 430's priced from EUR 60'000.00

mobile.de is a mostly German site, but has two 360's listed in Czeck - both Challenge Stradale.

There is however, a red 430 Spider with only 23K miles on it for EUR 91'600 (USD 99'000):
    Ferrari F430 Spider F1 - WARTUNG NEU-4/2015 als Cabrio/Roadster in Praha 4

6. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Thanks for the pointers!

From my basic research it seems like I can bring my car for 1 year (out of 2 year stay) without needing to forego my US plates. Also, since I've had the car for a year no import duties :)

I'd rather drive my own car than having to buy another one, use it for 2 years and sell it.

Question: can I buy a car anywhere in EU and register in Czech Republic or would there be the same issues "importing" it into the country?

7. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Usually between EU countries, the cars can be imported without any more taxes. Only a fee of about 350 euro for making new tags and an inspection of the documents/ownership and that the car is in road worthy condition. It least in Sweden it is like that, but the whole idea of EU is to have no borders to prohibit free flow and trades. To be honest, I would sell (or keep) the US car back home and get a euro car in CZ. It just sound so much easier. Check with the US embassy in CZ. Good luck!!

8. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Thanks for the advice guys. I've decided to leave my car stateside. I may pick up a 612, but only after experiencing Prague for a few months. We're very excited about the move! Can't wait to drive Spa and Hockenheim at the very least :)

9. jaro_fuksa

jaro_fuksa Rookie

Aug 18, 2016
    czech republic
    Full Name:
    jaro fuksa
    nürburgring some 600kms from prague. have a fun!