Gear lever bushings - 5 speed | FerrariChat

Gear lever bushings - 5 speed

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Arvid, Jan 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    #1 Arvid, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    Fellow FC member Dedo Tanzi and me have the same sinister plans to change the gear lever bushings. I recall reading about this procedure once,either here or FLife,but searching yields no results. Have any of You done this repair or remember if it is mentioned on this forum ?

Actually there should be no reason asking about this repair as the parts seems fairly simple,but I remember reading there was a specific way of doing this and that it could be quite frustrating...

I could be wrong and I could investigate my own car before writing this,if I had it in reach. Which I don't for another 3-4 weeks :)

2. dedo tanzi

dedo tanzi Karting

Dec 16, 2013
    Lugano - SUISSE
    Full Name:
    DEDO - Alfredo
    Merci Arvid....et merci pour l' aide !

3. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Sorry, I don't have any leads, but I'm curious: what problem are you trying to improve by changing out these bushings?

Cheers!

Ruben

4. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Really,it's just a cosmetic thing - nothing dramatic. The gear leaver can be turned easily either way. It wasn't that way when new and I quite like it when things are.

The kit I bought contains rubber bushings,some plastic spacers and locking rings. I suspect the problem in the job lies in plastic parts and the salvation in the fresh rubber parts :)

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Just double checking; are you sure the lever turns and it isn't just the knob?

6. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    #6 Arvid, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dave, I am very sure. I suspect the rubber bushings have dried out due to the heat in this area. At least my gear leaver gets very hot after an inspiring drive,and Signore Tanzi and me can't be the only ones having this "problem"

It's parts 43,44,45,46
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yep, we all have the same problem. Just wanted to make sure. I'll be very interested to see how easy, or difficult, the repair was since I have been told it is a real pain.

8. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    That is what I read somewhere,but I simply can't find it or remember where. I'm sure it was a fairly good recipe and explained by a experienced owner. Let's hope he chimes in.

A

9. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Wow, ok this has always bugged me in my 412, but I was told "they all do this". I'd be very interested in learning more about how to correct this.

Cheers!

Ruben

10. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Wait till you hear what he has to do to fix it :eek:

11. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Have a little faith in me... Thank You Mr. Hiatt :)

I'm eager to start but this time parts arrived before the car did.

12. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have the upmost and faith in you and have no doubt you will accomplish this task. The question is how hard will it be? Are you planning on going through the top or are you going to try to release it from underneath?

13. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Dave, I was hoping from the top. The stick sure is pushed and clicked down on the main lever (20) and one should be able to reverse it. One or both white plastics must be the ones who locks it all in place,but it may be a non-reversable lock.

But the stick won't budge upwards,I've tried... It all may become a matter of force until the plastics break.

14. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    When I pulled my trans the only way I found to release it was from the bottom reaching up over the tranny. Lots of missing skin.

15. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    When I get home I'll scan the service manual and post it here for you if that will help.

16. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Dave, that would be great :)

17. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #17 dstacy, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As you can see the service manual isn't real helpful but it does point you in the right direction. The 4 bolts under the lever will have to come out but you can get to these from underneath.

Ok, so the GOOD news is it will come out the top. The bad news? You have to pull the entire center console in order for that to happen. :eek:

18. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    That chapter of the manual almost shows what we need :) The interesting part is in chapter 25 if you have it.

If you look at the diagram in previous post,it's part 22 we need to take off. All the parts needed to remidy the problem is located inside that. 22 needs to come off 20. I have no intention to dig deeper down than that :)

Dave, am I thinking to lightly here or are you thinking to complicated ? Isn't part 22 turning on top of 20 and causing the problem ? I have a notion that 20 stands perfectly still.

19. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Probably a little of both.

I think that is correct.

I don't know for sure if I'm right about this, but I think getting to the retainer clip that holds #22 on is below what you can easily access from the interior. I think, but for your sake I hope I'm wrong, in order to get to that retainer clip you'll need to pull the center console. :eek: And that my friend is not a job I wish on any one.

20. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Dave, Thanks for posting of manual.

If there actually is a retaining clip there,then it will be a pain... But I can't see it on the parts list ? So,my hope is that the upper lever is attatched to the lower with the plastic clips - and nothing more.

The manual you have,is it for the 400 ? Can't say I recognize the bent gear stick. Older 60's - 70's model Ferrari ?

21. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yes, I have a workshop manual for the 400 series. Look close at the picture you posted and you'll see the bend in the lever is hidden in your picture by the rubber boot.

Read the last paragraph of the manual I posted and you'll see it talks about the retaining ring. HOPEFULLY they are talking about the white plastic ring you posted a picture of, and HOPEFULLY you can get to it with a screwdriver without pulling the console.
    Let us know since if you're successful there will be a mass buying binge of the parts needed to fix this problem we all have with our 5-speeds.

22. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    I read the part about the clip and when it says retaining clip I think of a metal part. I hope it isn't so or else the parts list and diagram are wrong (and I would be knee deep in work) :)

Why wait ? We will solve this and the parts are readily available from Euroautoricambi as a kit. It's yours for only $27.95 :)

23. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    When you do it TAKE PICTURES!!!

24. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,
    I was curious... is this shifter "feature" only on the 400 series? I ask, as the 365 parts manual does not show any of the parts that Arvid posted. To further enforce my conclusion... when I enter these part numbers in Eurospares site it only shows that they are used on the 400 series. Did Ferrari change the shifter design that was used on the 365 models?

Cheers,

Sam

25. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #25 dstacy, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    Part #100757 shift lever fits 365, 400, 400i, 412
    BUT part #100910 which is the outer (#22 in the picture above) fits ONLY 365 and doesn't have the white plastic and rubber pieces the 400 & 412 does. The outer #22 above is different for the 400 & 412.

hmmmmmmm interesting. Does the 365 knob and outer sleeve rotate?