new garage $2 1/4 million | Page 3 | FerrariChat

new garage $2 1/4 million

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by bundas, Oct 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    This may be a stupid question but why were those openings not formed before the concrete was poured. Seems like a fair amount of money was wasted on unnecessary concrete. On the plus side you could use them to build a replica of Stonehenge.

2. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    #52 willwork04, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    you are right, good that you noticed, the only one here that made a comment. I may not have posted the reason. the architect screwed me. I purchased a 20' car elevator and ask for a 26' W basement. I got a 18' 6" opening and a 19' 7" width. one pissed customer. this is not the only f up. this is the only on I did not catch. so the space that should have been got dug out and holes cut. hole cuts $4,000. concrete, $2,500(floor and an extra support wall). cost to come, steel beams and floor decking. cost to pour a concrete floor over the dirt, $10,500. I ended up with 11' of extra basement.

4. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Happy Thanksgiving Mitchell, you are getting closer to your dream garage !
    If you are getting low on funds, culling down to 15-20 favorite cars might help. Love watching the progress !

5. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Very cool Mitchell, except the cost overruns.

I recently gutted and reconfigured two baths, floor to ceiling and my contractor finished on time and on budget, to the penny.

He didn't compromise on any of the materials or the quality of the work. We event went on vacation for two weeks during the five weeks of construction, with email pics and updates sent to me each day.

I count myself very lucky when compared to your projects.

Good luck, it looks fantastic!

Sent by incredibly fast electrons

6. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    A bath form mom. 15'x15'. No budget. By the time my sister got done adding crap I had a $50,000 crapper. O well. Nice place to poop. Crane back on site. First floor beams in. Decking tomorrow. Car elevator starting Monday for three days. Double car liftBenpack 9 X series and concrete floor after that. Still no glass contractor. But I think that is making progress, finally. Speaking of progress the cancer bug figured out how to best chemo. So they will start me on a new one next month. AND Jan 11 mom will be 101. A good year

7. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
  8. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Ubuildit, Whayne. I have to stay on him every day. Honest may have too much going on at the same time. 75 I think. Better health than I. I really see no advantage in this group for me

9. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    all the steel is in so a can have a concrete floor. boy! has this been an unwanted stress. happy now.

10. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Go Mitchell! I'm in and rooting to see the finish!

11. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Elevator in and working. Think Bat Man. I am on a high guys. Things moving. Finally

12. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    A little steel work today. The elevator frame turned out to be a parallelogram. That goes great with my

13. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    well with my Trapezoidal basement, dumb ****s. tomorrow is a big day, geothermal will get the last six wells. a water well will be drilled to 400' that will give me 80 gal. per min. block layers and electrician will be there. Thursday I get a concrete floor. happy man.

14. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Glad to hear of progress...I'm going to say it now though...you are going to have to get someone to video that elevator doing its thing for all of us to see posted here or YouTube or something!

15. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Tomorrow the floor gets concrete. Driller got tied up so he will be here Friday. Got a glass quote today, liveable. But nothing to compare with.

16. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    #66 bundas, Dec 18, 2015
  17. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I had to elimate the back wall stone, $50,000 replaced with. $6,000 now. I am struggle with
    The last 1/2 million. The drive way budget is now $30,000. Manageable two basement doors about $10,000. Then I can seal the basement. Geothermal paid for

18. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Old blacktop drive hauled off. And stone paved in for 19' wide drive(was 8'). 5/7 and some dense grade done. A base is now in position for the geothermal drill. The clay/ mud was awful. Finally stopped raining. This is the first dry we have had In a month. I am sure nothing will be done until next week. Dry looks to continue. Carpenters got one wall, first floor up. The have a week more. Second an third floor. Stairs. Three bathrooms and showers and a kitchen. But at least things are moving well. My two car lift arrived. But got hidden. Too much going on. The basement doors will not arrive until next week. Since I am stuck in the hospital for an unknown length of time this not important at all. See 'my cancer' thread for that nightmare. The darn glass is still a problem. I have decided to forget the glass room for now. It may come next year. Glass wore me out. Sad

19. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    The last geothermal well done and all got tied I today. Site graded. Drill makes a mess. One more well, water, and some small amount of steel work need to be completed before I get a concrete drive. Painfully slow. The roll up door in the basement was installed. It closes before the elevator will go down to prevent an accident. Tomorrow I get the walk in door. Then I will have a lockable basement.

20. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    #70 bundas, Jan 15, 2016
    Water well drilling started at noon, a day late. I guess they will return Tuesday. They are down 300'. No water. But no Chinese climing out of the hole either.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Went 400' dry hole. I give up. Tonight I finally got the Benpak four car lift working. Had to threaten the general contractor. Pretty bad. This coming week, weather permitting concrete will be poured to seal the bottom of the garage doors so critter will not be eating my wiring and leather. The basement will get sealed. Then I can spray come the basement ceiling leaving it to look like a cave. Progress is unreasonably slow. Another setback on glass. So still no assurance that the project will get finished. Just shocking.

22. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Bundas,
    Your glass requirements are way over the top. You do not need blast glass.....you are talking about Large Missile Impact...... and you probably do not need that. If you want your glass cost reduced seriously contact me. I specialize in Missile Impact and large Curtain Wall projects..

23. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Basement sealed today so the edges of the floor do not have leaks. The bottom of the 50' garage doors are now sealed so critters cannot get in. With a dry basement the last geothermal unit can be installed. The basement ceiling will be spray foamed(insulation) to look like a cave. And now the last important item that I have been trying for a year to get. Glass. Fellow fchat member Glassman has offered to help.

24. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    This is quite the project. What do you get for 2.5-3mil already complete in your area? Dealing with all these contractors sounds like a pain in the butt, hopefully you get exactly what you wanted when finished.

25. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    there are great horse farms and great homes. non will hold 34 cars. this is what I want. at 78 I will be broke. some rental income. to pay taxed, insurance and utilities plus the unknown stuff. taxes $20,000, insurance $10,000. utilities $6,000. gas and unknown car stuff.. glass is self cleaning. no more $25-$50,000 week vacations. but cancer has made that impossible