Old photos of UK Ferrari | FerrariChat

Old photos of UK Ferrari

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Wheels1, Dec 8, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #1 Wheels1, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    All very quite in the UK section, so I have been looking around F-Chat and the Aus. section have a great thread on old photos of cars in Aus.

So I thought, why not start one for the UK, say photos taken before 1990's as a guide, they don't necessarily have to be photographed in the UK, just as long as they are UK cars.

I will start with these of a Daytona taken in 1972, and after it crashed!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Great idea, does it have to be Ferrari or anything of interest?
    I've got a few lying around.

3. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I think best to keep it Ferrari.
    There is, guess the British car thread somewhere, which has lots of other makes in I think.

4. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Ok no problem, I'll have a look through what I've got. Was just asking as I know I have a small pile of photos my did took on a trip to London in the mid 70's, Espadas/Merc 600's etc parked in the street.

5. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Ouch - poor Daytona! :(

Great idea for a thread. :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I have no idea where this car is now or condition, so if any one knows?

This is the story of the crash:-
    Originally Posted by Bobby Whitlock on Facebook
    ~The Daytona Crash~
    I was tearing out of Chertsey the time I crashed my Daytona...I was leaving Mooney's (Keith Moon) house early one morning after one of our rave-ups...That Daytona has a big cockpit and I had trouble shifting the gears even with the seat pulled all the way up...So I sent it in to Marranello's Consessionaire in Egham to have it adjusted...They raised it one inch and moved it forward two inches...Trouble was that every time I shifted the transmission my leg tapped the seat catch slowly downward…Because they had used long bolts and stacks of washers to do this and it was not according to Ferrari specs…So by the time I hit third gear the seat would fly back...This happened twice near the house but I was going very slowly thru Ascot...I had told my big Samoyan bodyguard Bob, that the next day it was going back to the shop for repair...Right about that time Mooney called and said to come on over!!…

Without thinking we jumped in the Ferrari and tore out to Keith's house!...Nothing happened with the seat on the way there though...But when we left about five in the morning it was a different story all together...The pedal was to the metal!...I knew how to speed-shift so the accelerator pedal never came up when I shifted...That car has twelve cylinders, six dual webber's and a five speed transmission and would go 190 mph!…It shows 180 mph on the face of it, but I have buried it and left my foot to the floor until it wouldn’t go any faster and just left it there many times!…Two times with Big Bob in there with me…Everything seems to be slower than it really is when you‘re going that fast!…It becomes and optical illusion…It is very deceptive…It seems as though you could step out of the car after you get back down to ninety...I have had it there many times at night going down an eight mile straight stretch that's lit up in orange on the M4...I wasn't responsible to anyone, not even to myself back then…I thought, “What have I got to lose, My Life?”...I was out of control and didn't know it...I thought that I could be any way I wanted to be and that was alright…~...

When I hit third gear that morning I was shifting out at about ninety and the seat flew back and the accelerator pedal went to the floor…The wheel pulled to the right and my right arm got wrenched because my elbow was jammed into the door pull and I still had a grip on the steering wheel...The right front tire caught the curb across from the Rose and Crown Pub on SandsHill Lane in Virginia Water...It spun the car around in the road three times...I had just shifted out of third at 90 mph into fourth...It hit a lamp pole and tore it down…Then I mowed down a brick wall and hit a forty foot tall pine tree at the end of the wall...It cut the tree into and uprooted it...The car nose-dived and took to the air and did one and a half flips with a half twist and landed up-side down with the top of the door panel buried a foot into the ground...The roof was below the steering wheel column...The speedometer was stuck on 155.......There was twenty-eight gallons of fuel in it because it was never empty…~…

I had plenty of time to think my Life over as we were flying through the air...I said to Myself, "If I live through this I'll go play every honky-tonk from Memphis to L.A!“ “All I want to do is walk from this!”…“I‘m not supposed to go this way!”…“I‘m not finished here!”…“I‘ve only just gotten started!”…~...I knew in my heart that what I was doing and the way I was living was wrong…~...Everything got very super-animated slow motion...The bricks were coming thru the windsheild one at a time in chunks...Bam!…Bam!…Bam!...Bam!...Bam!….Then, silence.……...Then, “WHAM!!!”.......Bob had reached up and pulled me under himself because I was suspended up in the top of the roof...I had come out of my seatbelt and was in the top of the car as it flipped through the air…~...All of this took place in less than fifty yards...From point of impact to where it landed was less than fifty yards...If you know what a counsel flat is you know what I'm talking about...They are like condos....Four to a building two stories tall…~...I hit right before the first flat and went through the light pole then I mowed down his brick wall and cut through his tree…At the end of the wall I nose-dived and that flipped me forward…And then I took to the air and flew over the second flat's front garden and landed upside down facing the opposite direction…~...It was eerily calm and you could smell blood and gas and oil...

We weren't knocked out at all during this whole episode!...I told Bob as we lay folded up in there "I'm sorry"...He said, "you didn't mean to, it wasn't your fault"…“Are you OK?”....Then someone grabbed my foot and started pulling me out...The man who's garden we had landed in had run out with a shovel a dug a hole and yanked the door open enough to pull me out...I stood up and said that there was someone else in there!...He got Bob out and all that he had was two cracked ribs...I had seventeen shattered teeth and a piece of chrome trim that went straight thru my left arm right between the humor and the femor like an arrow...I just pulled it out...We weren't in pain!... just shock!...There were ten and twenty pound notes floating down to the ground and the wheels were still spinning when he pulled us out...I used to carry a lot of cash in the back of my seat because I didn't have any cards and I was always on the look-out for antiques...We went into his house and had some tea while we waited for the ambulance to arrive...

They took Bob and Me to the Royal Hospital in Windsor...They had us take off all our clothes and put on these backless hospital gowns and stuck us in a room to ourselves...In walks a policeman and says to me, "blow in this tube"...I said", I just totaled my Ferrari and you want me to blow into some tube!…Go get a doctor and tell him to bring us some Mandrax!"...He looked like Terry Thomas, the English comedian with a split between his front teeth, and was very upset at my arrogance...He went for the doctor...I still had my underwear on with an ounce of compressed African weed in the crotch of them... I tossed it to Bob and said, "give this to that orderly and tell him to call a hire car and have it meet us out in front of the hospital...I jumped out of the window and ran across the lawn with my naked self in that green gown and as it always goes in my world, up pulled the car...I jumped in and told him to wait because here comes Big Bob running across the lawn in his green gown an socks....He jumped in the car and the driver took us home where I immediately call my policeman friend, Detective Sgt. John Clements and told him what had happened and that I was pouring some brandy as we speak and have taken some Mandies for the pain, so if the police come over I'll be already wasted!...

He told me that he had already heard about it and said, "Bobby, why didn't you just call me, I would have come and taken care of everything?"...The next morning I got a call from a friend in Rome and he asked if I was alright and said that it was in the morning paper there…It was in every paper there was everywhere!…Eric read all about it that following morning as did Pete Townsend…He told me so last year…~…The question is not how I survived, it is a question of why I survived...I always knew that I was here for a special purpose...Even when I was young…It was something that I felt...Even when I was flying through the air in my Daytona I wasn't thinking about dying, I was thinking about Living...I am here for a Higher purpose than to destroy my body in a car wreck and leave that for a legacy....There is something at work in my Life that is much bigger than any name I could put on it...If I could name it you can be sure that wouldn't be It.......

7. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    #7 Mark Shannon, Dec 10, 2013
    NewYorkLego likes this.
  8. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    #8 johngtc, Dec 21, 2013
  9. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    #9 johngtc, Dec 22, 2013
  10. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Nice old photos John, thanks for posting them up.
    This car is also shown in the Original Ferrari V12 Restorer's guide book.

11. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    #11 johngtc, Dec 22, 2013
    The first Daytona seen in the UK. This car was driven by Col Ronnie Hoare, founder of Maranello Concessionaires, and is parked outside their Egham premises in early 1970. If I recall correctly (and it is 44 years!), Col Hoare had several early LHD examples of various models before RHD versions entered production. I think they all bore Italian export plates and were possibly loaned by the factory for his evaluation. NB the BRDC badge!

12. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Great picture John.

Looks like there were two LHD early cars in Blue Met Dino. One, #12905 had a black interior. The other #13409, had a light blue interior.

My money is on the first car, assuming my info is correct in the first place.

Mark

13. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Interestingly in has the RHD round side indicators in the front wings! It must have been made or converted to UK spec. other than the LHD

14. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I'm hoping this might enliven the UK section of Fchat, but I'm fully prepared for it to fail spectacularly.

There are already a few 'Old Photos' threads elsewhere on the forum, but they tend to be '50s and '60s race car heavy, and with a prevalence of USA cars (all very interesting, but perhaps not as interesting as UK cars to UK users).

A 'Ferraris at motor shows' thread was recently kicked off that is going great guns, so let's see if a 'Ferraris in the UK' thread also works.

Cars that should be posted here:

- UK-delivered cars photographed in the UK
    - UK-delivered cars photographed outside the UK
    - Overseas-delivered cars photographed in the UK

Please post chassis numbers and/or registration plates in the TEXT where known/shown. For search purposes this is especially important as it will index properly. This is immensely useful for, eg, former owners trying to track down their old cars and give us some stories!

-Ed

15. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #15 torquespeak, Jan 14, 2016
    I don't have an ID for the 308 GTB (OPK 31R), but otherwise this is:

365 BB - 17701 (VPC 235M)
    Daytona - 16357 (222 AML)
    275 GTB4 - 11019 (UPJ 5F)
    Dino 246 GT - 06932 (1 ECG)
    330 GT 2+2 - 6083GT (CPJ 9B)

Photo was of course taken outside Modena Engineering, I believe in 1978. Appears in a number of publications, including FOC GB V.10 N.4 #40 Autumn 1978.

-Ed

16. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    #16 gt4me, Jan 14, 2016
  17. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    #17 gt4me, Jan 14, 2016
  18. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    #18 gt4me, Jan 14, 2016
  19. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    s/n 17815 - currently registered as 'DYF 51V'

-Ed

20. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    308 GTB s/n 20701 - CCX 477S - first registered 6th September 1977

-Ed

21. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    308 GT4 s/n 09106 - then BVU 888N - sold by Bonhams at Goodwood sale in 2008, then exported January 2009

308 GTB s/n 28907 - then KVP 313W

-Ed

22. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    The car pictured is 13409.

Paul

23. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Ooops - I was only looking at threads used within the last two years! I'll suggest a merge.

-Ed

24. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould