Curious about certain costs... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Curious about certain costs...

Discussion in '348/355' started by Shootfighter65, Jan 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    The gold helps the connection stay tighter.

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Haters going to hate.

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I don't know Carl, you seem to enjoy being dramatic. Back stabbing, haters. Sounds political to me. What ever happened to peace, love and understanding?

4. GTSNJ

GTSNJ Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2015
    I don't know anything about the gck. I never used it. But I have worked numerous cars with crappy electrical system connectors , including some Italians. To each his own . Back to major servicing... I ordered something from Ferrari parts and it came really fast ...good service!

5. Shootfighter65

Shootfighter65 Formula 3

May 13, 2014
    Charleston SC
    Full Name:
    Randy..alluneedtokno
    love Ferrparts with a little patience I can get to talk to Russ personally.. always fast and get just what I order....

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    But it is about major services and excessive costs. The GCK is $1700 plus, I would estimate, at least that to install = $3400 on something completely unnecessary on a car that it running correctly. And there are cheaper alternatives for cars which are experiencing electrical issues which will work at least as well.

7. GTSNJ

GTSNJ Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2015
    I fully agree with you on that. I should sell titanium exhaust hardware and tell everyone it will improve heat dissipation and prevent header destruction but no guarantees. Any takers at $1995 for all hardware includes 16 exhaust nuts studs and all neccesary clamps (high grade harvested titanium)

8. michael craig

michael craig Karting

Jan 28, 2013
    NYC-Area
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Guys these are the most beautiful and special cars in the world!! RIGHT! When it comes to parts and service! DO IT RIGHT!!!! don't Skimp on Quality parts or the right facility of your choice to do the work !!! Penny wise and dollar foolish is not a good breakfast dish for your Ferrari. If this formula ain't for the weak at heart then buy a Hundai and date an ugly chicken head LOL Love u all :)

9. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Yeah, but that doesn't mean things like letting the dealer charge you $2000 for a $700 water pump, which they're happy to do.

10. GTSNJ

GTSNJ Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2015
    I enjoy doing my own work when I have the time. When I can't handle it myself it goes to the pros!!!

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    By the context of your comment I'm not sure if you understand that statement. It refers to people who are extremely careful about small amounts of money and not careful enough about larger amounts of money. The idea of paying large sums of money for your Ferrari does not insure quality by any means. It does fall into the category of being dollar foolish though. And that is what this thread is about. Getting quality for the best price. Being penny and dollar wise. I think what your were referring to is commonly called being cheap, as in, why would I use a Hill tensioner bearing when and SKF cost 1/5 as much. :)

12. Shootfighter65

Shootfighter65 Formula 3

May 13, 2014
    Charleston SC
    Full Name:
    Randy..alluneedtokno
    I agree, Even doing some research on here or asking some questions can save some $ Its easy to get raped at any dealership on any car. I save seen examples of the car lot diagnosing problems by swapping out parts...then trying to charge me for all of it. But when its being done on a Ferrari if can be very costly. I would also like to hear from someone thats had an engine rebuild and post a invoice...would be cool to read

13. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I think one would be hard pressed to define "running correctly" or "major service".

14. GTSNJ

GTSNJ Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2015
    Can anybody actually post threads of 355 belts snapping and tensioners seizing ?? I get that hill engineering makes great bearings I even used then before. But the original ones were 40k miles and still going.

I think the big question is how comfortable you are with risk and things breaking. Some will spend $30k for piece of mind while others will drive the car until it goes kaboom.

15. Shootfighter65

Shootfighter65 Formula 3

May 13, 2014
    Charleston SC
    Full Name:
    Randy..alluneedtokno
    For the purpose of this thread I think it has.... things that every car needs to have done at a 30k service. Sure some people will have different opinions but they should be close.

16. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    If you want analyze cost and value, i think it is best to break down cost and labor for a specific job/task as opposed to generalizing (ex... I paid $5000 for a Major).

What are the items needed in an engine out timing belt service? What parts should be replaced? What parts might need to be replaced? There was a discussion about this in another thread comparing 30k service kits from various vendors. Can we piece together our own service kit? Will it be less expensive? Will the quality of the parts/seals/belts be up to par? Do we even need to replace all of the seals recommended? It would be nice to change whatever you can while the engine is out, but i believe a few seals can be easily changed while the engine is in. Shouldnt these seals last longer than 15k miles? Should you rebuild a water pump or replace a water pump? Any additional preventive measures added? Motor mounts? Send out injectors to get cleaned and checked? Are new spark plugs needed? Last time i checked, spark plugs last 100k miles. There are ways you can save if you really wanted to or you can simply just pay to have things changed and have a lil piece of mind for years to come. Alot of it is placebo and personal preference (our own individual risk tolerance.)

Labor hours for a job? What labor rate are you willing to pay? I'm not paying $200-300 per hour that's for sure. $100-$175 sounds reasonable to me. If they warranty their work, that's an added value as well.

17. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Close? Horseshoes and hand grenades.... An example is fuel injectors. Raw cost of service is 300 bucks less mechanic mark up, risk of shipping loss, ship cost, lost time to do that, risk of breaking plastic etc, time to RR the injectors, cleaning for etc. That is not simple nor free service to most. Most people can't feel the effects of a few dripping injectors but i assure you proper spray patterns and matched injector response if critical to optimal running.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    just had Norwood Auto Italia do major on the 355 Challenge.

48 hours x $130
    everything to spec major
    only add-on 3 CV Boots $390.
    ---
    Total: $9,700

19. jerenterprises

jerenterprises Karting

Mar 13, 2013
    Phoenix Arizona
    Full Name:
    Joshua Reed
    I have a 348 Speciale and I spent $1800 on all of the parts through Ricambi America (great stuff) and then it was about $5000 in labor and other random gizmos and parts that I needed. But I also added on a few non mechanical things like re-powdercoating the valve covers and such.

20. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I'm having Fast Cars do a major on mine and it's $6,500 plus $3,500 for the valve guides. Mine needs a few other things (engine mounts, new valve covers since they were cut for the aftermarket plug wires, new OEM plug wires and replacing a CV boot) so total will be around $13k.

21. Shootfighter65

Shootfighter65 Formula 3

May 13, 2014
    Charleston SC
    Full Name:
    Randy..alluneedtokno
    I have seen some peoples invoice and I swear I wouldn't have paid for some of it. I saw one a guy was charged $700 to swap out stock headers for aftermarket ones the owner supplied. That's $700 labor to swap headers while the engine is out. I call BS

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you don't understand the automotive industry. it has changed a little over the years, but it is still based on "book" hours and not actual for most things. You don't want a crappy mechanic who takes forever charging you by the hour. however, most mechanics can still do jobs under the book hours. if it really took Norwoods 48 hours to do my major I would be surprised.

23. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    +1

24. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #99 GerryD, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    The actual hours to do a major on a 355 by a mechanic that does many per year is 27 hours but that means no surprises.....just belts, bearings, water pump and the other obvious stuff such as plugs, aux belts, repaint of the covers ect. If you stop by and begin talking to the mechanic....the hours go up. :) Ive seen my mechanic drop a Testa engine early in the morning to do the water pump and the engine was back in by nightfall. But then this guy is not the everyday mechanic.

25. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    29 hours sounds rushed