ZFFAD08A0C0039165 History -- Fake VIN? | FerrariChat

ZFFAD08A0C0039165 History -- Fake VIN?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Russ Gould, Jan 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    #1 Russ Gould, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  3. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #3 Wade, Jan 1, 2016
    Looking closer, the same tag was there when it sold last. Maybe it's had the door replaced during its lifetime.

The quick answer is to see if the other tags match (and they probably will).

BTW, the stick-on tag below the riveted one is all wrong.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    Unfortunately the VIN stamping on the chassis appears to be "compromised" so I fear this is a stolen car....

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
  6. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I was just looking at a similar decoder; this car, or it's VIN rather, is a US spec 1982 Mondial 8.

7. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Russ, did you get a picture of that?

8. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    If you look at the ebay listing, in one of the photogs you can see the vin no. in the engine bay is messed with. I have asked the current owner for a fresh photo. He says "you don't need a title in GA on cars older than 85". I very much doubt that. You need a title on any car in order to register it in any state, as far as I know.

9. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    #9 Meister, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    there is something to that, not exactly sure if it's 100% like hes stating but older cars in GA do have some special rules/exemptions. A little googling on the subject will turn up a wealth of info.

10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If you refer to an ebay listing, you are required by law to post the link ;)

(Seriously, I searched on "Ferrari Mondial" at ebay, and couldn't find it.)

11. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #11 Wade, Jan 1, 2016
  12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Don't forget, there's a VIN plate on top of the steering column housing.

13. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    That's interesting. My 82 Mondial 8 does not have a plate anything like that. That door plate looks made up. It does not belong on an 82 Mondial 8. I'm not sure if Ferrari used different plates at a whim I assume not.

14. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    If they did they can't spell

15. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #15 Alden, Jan 1, 2016
  16. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #16 Steve Magnusson, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    It's also "Ferrari North America, Inc." not "Ferrari OF North America".

The good legibility and neatness is another clue that somethin' ain't right...;)

Thanks for the link Wade -- I'd go with the SN middle 1 not looking much like a "1" (even though you are right that the photo isn't super clear)

17. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    vin decodes to a NA car. Could this have been a canadian car that then went through the USA importation/smog procedure via a shop at the time hence the odd ball plate?

18. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

Seating Capacity 2 ????

19. sipes216

sipes216 Karting

May 9, 2015
    i would have no doubt that this car has been compromised.

i also want to point out that it is rather strange that the fake-plates have also been painted over very slightly.

this is something that is a sign the door has been repainted previously. you don't get new tags like these, so you tape over them, and shoot paint over everything else. paint often gets through the gaps on the side like that...

also with the pixelation of the vinplate on the back of the chassis, is it possible it's just covered by debris? it's too hard to tell.

20. feiss

feiss Karting

Jan 23, 2014
    Bologna Italy
    Full Name:
    Carlo Faccioli
    SIZE TYRE 14 ??? NOOO it is 16

21. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    "Someone" should notify the local authorities where the car is being sold of these irregularities . Altering a original VIN number anywhere on a vehicle is a felony and the way this car looks, it should be investigated for the good of the F car and car buying community.

Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say that the door has been replaced for some valid reason. Manufacturing up a "new" manufacturer's VIN tag, especially one as sloppy as this is probably illegal too and just plain stupid.

Alden

22. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Russ. Many states have title exemption rules on older vehicles, for example, NH's is only 15 years, while CT is 20, I believe AL is 20 etc etc. it allows individuals to still purchase and register cares that may have lost Titles somewhere along the way. Usually these states only need a BoS (some notarized) and a registration. It doesn't always mean the car has sketchy history, but sometimes that's the case.

23. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Car was sold on ebay many months ago. Not sure if its for sale again or where Russ has found it, let alone why he's interested.

24. sipes216

sipes216 Karting

May 9, 2015
    if it were cheap enough, i'd love to have it, no real downside there, even if a lot of stuff is screwed up. means you just have something to play with that you don't need to keep original.

25. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Note the word "probably". It MAY be a stolen vehicle, but I think it goes pretty far to report this to the police, DMV or whatever just on a suspicion, as it may have been something modified with a valid reason, such as a replacement door or whatever. No doubt there is something going on, but if reported all that means is that the current owner will be in a lot of hassle for a crime that may or may not have been committed two decades ago, the car will be impounded and possibly crushed.
    Vehicle crime is a bad thing and everyone needs to be vigilant. In this case buyers need to be educated on what to and what not to buy. Treads like these help that tremendously.
    I would not touch a car like this but I would also not put a possibly naive current owner in a world of hurt. It is imho up to him to decide what actions to take with it (and with the seller he obtained it from).