Cleaning the Engine | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cleaning the Engine

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by PhilNotHill, May 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jsf721

Jsf721 Karting

May 15, 2015
    I would be concerned that the 303 could end up on your windshield if your Ferrari got caught in the rain or after a wash. I would suggest a permanent trim coating on the cowl where the wipers sit. Something like Getchnig C4 or CQuartz deluxe.

I personally use the C4 and like it the best. I have tried a few others but the price to performance of the C4 can't be beat IMHO.

2. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Haven't tried C4, but 303 is great stuff and the UV protection works. One comment regarding 303 is that it's important to buff 303 off after you apply it. It's not a coating like armorall, it's a polymer so it's important to buff off the excess. It still works if you don't buff it, but it woks much better and lasts longer if you lightly buff it.

There is no risk of 303 coming off and getting on the window (and 303 is water based so it doesn't cause streaking like armorall and other silicone-based products).

3. Jsf721

Jsf721 Karting

May 15, 2015
    Perhaps you are correct but I would not chance it. 303 may be water based but I'd not like it on my windshield all the same. Water based products don't usually last very long either.

I have used 303 and it a very temporary fix. Lasts maybe a week or 2 on a daily driver or a few weeks on a garage queen. The C4 will last 18-24 Months easily with 1 application (2 coats about 1 hour apart).

4. Euroryno

Euroryno Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    This professional detailer doesn't appear to cover anything in the 458 engine bay and uses a gentle hose. This is a quality video production.

http://youtu.be/LESRJrB1L5I

5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #30 miketuason, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Dirty69

Dirty69 Rookie

Nov 19, 2008
    Be careful with GUNK. It can discolor some of the painted parts. I use Simple Green Extreme. It's less caustic, cuts through grease and is biodegradable. It's used also in the Aerospace industry. You can get it on Amazon.

7. cs s60

cs s60 Karting

May 16, 2005
    PA

I'm no pro, but never warm up the engine. You wouldn't want to heat up any other part of your car, especially the engine. A pressure washer is too much. I cover any sensitive area, spray a degreaser like Adam's APC, hose it down, use a dryer, and apply a protectant. Never had an issue.

8. Euroryno

Euroryno Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ryan
  9. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron