Removing Drive Shafts | FerrariChat

Removing Drive Shafts

Discussion in '308/328' started by Andy 308GTB, Dec 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    #1 Andy 308GTB, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Were the Ferrari fitters circa 1980 built like Hercules?

I'm trying to remove the rear hub carriers, as part of my suspension refurbishment.
    But the 6 nuts/bolts simply won't budge. I've soaked them a few times in Plus Gas.

The 17mm nuts can only be accessed with a 17mm open spanner, i.e. a socket and a breaker bar cannot be used.

The bolts require an 8mm Hex socket. I've tried using modest force using a breaker bar but nothing is moving & I'm nervous that I will round the fixing off. In the Robworkz thread, a normal hand ratchet and socket appear to do the job.

Clearly these nuts and bolts haven't been touched, possibly ever.
    Also, they are pretty grubby, possibly rusty.
    Are there any tricks to getting them out that I am missing?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Normal. They are supposed to be very tight, when they are not they get broken from shear loads.

Since removing a fastener is always harder it is not unusual to need to cut them off if any rust is involved or any damage to the socket head. I keep spares in stock for just that reason.

3. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    I literally was on my back and lifted my whole body off the ground with the leverage of a breaker bar (did we mention breaker bar?...nice long one) and finally got mine off after many attempts! Ugly job!

4. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Use an impact wrench from the wheel well (with loooong extension) then replace any bolts that break. Note location of the spacers.

5. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I haven't touched mine in at least a decade so I am going by my feeble memory.

I unscrewed the bolt from the nut which is held by an open end wrench (spanner) which was wedged against something so that it didn't turn.

Cleaning out the head of the bolt is TOP PRIORITY. A small pick or screwdriver will get the debris out, it is important to get it ALL out.

The proper socket MUST be used, IIRC, it is a "triple square" drive commonly used on VW and Porsche cars. Using a conventional hex or a Torx socket is an invitation to disaster.

I used a couple of long extensions connected together with sufficient length for the socket to engage the bolt and reach out past (and resting on top of) the brake caliper. The axle should be rotated so that the straightest possible alignment of the bolt, extensions and the top of the brake caliper is achieved. Take a fair size screwdriver and jamb it into the brake rotor fins and against the brake caliper so as to prevent the axle from turning when you apply torque to the ratchet or breaker bar. Note the direction that the axle will want to turn and position the screwdriver on the correct side of the caliper.

When everything is set up hit the end of the extension with a hammer to drive the socket as far as possible into the head of the bolt, you will need as much surface area engaging the socket as possible. I had a jack or stack of wood under the rotor or lower A arm to keep the suspension from moving down when you start pushing down on the breaker bar.

At this point the breaker bar should be outside of the body where you can apply maximum torque, positioned so that you are pushing down. The extensions should be resting on top of the caliper which serves as a fulcrum point. The caliper/rotor/suspension can not go down when you apply torque because it is supported from underneath and can not turn because of the screwdriver in the fins and against the caliper.

When you start to turn the bolt the wrench on the nut will swing around until it hits something. Once it seems secure apply full torque. You will have to reposition the axle/rotor as you move to the next bolt.

Using this method will loosen even the most stubborn bolt and reduce the possibility of stripping the bolt head to a minimum. If someone has already damaged the bolt head this my still work if you concentrate on hammering the socket home in the bolt as noted above.

6. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    Those nuts have fingers designed so they come off. Ferrari recommends replacing them as the fingers don't grip as they did once they are broke loose. A little gentle heat (not red hot!!!) and they come off with ease and then replace.

7. Jet Lag

Jet Lag Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Robert Bangs
    Miked summed it up pretty good; specially about cleaning out the bolt head to get a good fit for your 8mm hex head. I'd add:
    Keep them soaked in PB Blaster for several days, then use a long breaker bar. If you're sitting on jack stands you'll need the loooong extension(s) to gain access; make sure you have support on both ends of that long extension(s) to avoid unwanted torque in a wrong direction. BTW, you don't need that 17mm open spanner to keep the nuts from turning until after they've been broke loose. The nuts are kept from turning by the hub. I've had mine out several times - mostly to replace boots. It's doable, but takes patience and determination. Use some anti-seize when you put it back together, and make sure you put the extra washers back where they belong to keep the bolts from sticking out so far as to catch on something. Good Luck!

8. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I've used a screwdriver in the brake disk to keep the assembly from rotating, laid under the car and pushed the long breaker bar with my feet. That worked. I also discovered that who ever pushed in my bumper didn't do anything to secure the shock and I pulled the bumper back out when I used it as a handle. Scared the crap out of me. I thought it was going to land on my head.

I've used an air impact gun with extensions and that has worked.

I've also used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to persuade those bolts to let go.

On the our (stupid) VW the bolts were the triple square (mentioned above) or 12 point or something I needed to go buy a special tool for, but the 308 CV bolts I've played with have been standard 8mm hex. I don't know that they were OEM bolts though.

9. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    #9 GavC, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    Andy, get some heat in the bolts, they are possibly seized due to age and different metals. First time I did mine it was the same now mine all undo nicely due to good lubrication. Your right you can only get a spanner on one side, but they are locked against to hub so initially it's the Allen key headed bolt socket you need to loosen. Just be patient heat and lubricant.

10. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    What is the principle behind heating the bolts? That would cause them to temporarily expand, obviously. Do they then break loose when they cool?

11. jessup

jessup Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2014
    Santa Clara CA USA
    Full Name:
    Jessup
    The expansion from the heat breaks the rust loose.

12. ExigentM

ExigentM Rookie

Jul 18, 2010
    Hamilton, Oh
    Full Name:
    Mark Kile
    I did this last winter. Those bolts are torqued to 150 ft lbs so they are tight. Read the guide on Birdman's site and do just as he describes, it worked perfectly for me.

13. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Good point hammering the socket for getting as much surface as possible inside the bolt head.
    I also did it that way after cleaning out the heads. I even purchased a new, good socket to have a tool without ANY wear and did even grind the tip on its face-side to get it sharp-edged, because most sockets are rounded or slightly chamfered on their tip.
    But it's no special socket needed. The bolts are simple hex heads.

Best Regards
    Martin

14. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    Thanks all - a very comprehensive set of answers. I now have a plan...

The value of 'hands on' experience provided is immeasurable - without this back up, I wouldn't even consider starting some of these jobs.

15. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Andy,

don't want to hi-jack this thread but it's slightly off-topic and just comes to my mind.
    How are things going along regarding your steering rack?

Best Regards
    Martin

16. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    Hi Martin,

I took it completely to bits.
    - Discovered that 'Peening' was nothing to be concerned about...
    - Replaced the bushes as instructed (2 Superformance items required because they are 1/2 size). In hindsight, the old bushes felt 'loose' compared to the new ones.
    - Bearings were fine but I buggered one up (don't ask) Superformance to the rescue again. Literally nobody else sells them.
    - New Track Rod Ends sourced via a Mini website (very cheap)
    - Cleaned it all up and repainted the black bits

Everything else was fine, the gaiters were mint. I've got the fluids & grease at the ready.
    'Just' a case of putting it all back together but once done I'll post a picture of the completed item in the original thread.

Regards
    Andy

17. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
  18. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    Note: If you are going to remove the half shafts, remove the inside CV bolts first (Diff side). This way you can use the brake / rotor to lock the CVs in place while breaking loose / tightening the CV bolts.

19. sharknose67

sharknose67 Formula 3

Dec 31, 2007
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Andy, if you need new bolts I have some for sale as well as some off those scraping plates.

PM me if you need them.

20. enzo52

enzo52 Karting

Aug 14, 2008
    France, Paris
    Full Name:
    Depensadie Seraphin
    so a chisel and hamer will do the job. You have to brake the bolt open when its impossible to remove them.

enzo52

21. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's what I did and it works really well.

22. s3swiss

s3swiss Rookie

Nov 20, 2015
    Got all mine out at the diff end using long breaker bar and plenty soakings with plus gas. The ones at the wheel end were rustier (looked like yours). One needed the nut 'fingers' grinding off to get it free. If you look at yours - all the rusty bolt sticking out of the nut has to go through the nut so it will be a struggle. I got myself 12 new bolts and nuts from superformance as I knew the hex ends would get chewed extracting them. Remember to put the '2 bolt washer' and the individual washers on before refitting bolts (or find them on the bench when getting your torque wrench like I did - how I laughed!)

23. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I did this last week. As others point out the nuts are held by a shoulder on the hub (if the correct nuts.) My hex/Allen bolts had never been off and were full of crap so cleaned them out after rounding the first one (hammered in a torx bit to get the rounded one out.) I used several 1/2" extensions through the wheel well and a long breaker bar. Good luck!

24. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    #24 Andy 308GTB, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just to add a little back to this thread, I ended up cutting across the nuts where the fingers meet the nut with a Dremel. i.e. leaving a normal nut which then allowed the bolt to be undone with relatively ease.

New bolts are mightily expensive from the usual suppliers.
    I bought 30 online from one of many websites |(search for 'socket cap bolts'), delivered for £21 (i.e. US$ 30)
    I will use Nyloc nuts - I can't afford to buy the Ferrari Gold Plated Finger Nuts...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #25 Martin308GTB, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    Do these bolts have the same strength category like the originals? IIRC they are at least 10.9 or even 12.9
    I also doubt, that you get nyloc nuts in strength category, which fits the bolts. Most nyloc nuts are just 8.8

They need a very high torque on reassembly. Don't forget. There is no positive locking on this connection, just force closure created by this nut and bolt connection, which has to bear the whole engine torque.

Best Regards
    Martin