Getting into the spirit of giving! | FerrariChat

Getting into the spirit of giving!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by texasmr2, Oct 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I just thought this could be a good topic for those of us who enjoy giving more than receiving. Next week I will be volunteer at our local "Women and Family Emergency Shelter" annual "Harvest Festival" where not only food and clothing is provided but activities for the kids. Hopefully I will be able to contain/hide my tears until I get back home, got to stay strong right! I also reserved a spot for Thanksgiving.

I apologize if this is a little heavy for some yet I am virtually possessed with helping those who are I need.

2. 458Pilot

458Pilot Rookie

Sep 10, 2013
    Texas
    Giving is BLESSING that can only be enjoyed in the same way by those that think just like you. We are in the minority these days and that is sad. But i also believe there are others like us, that think the same way. God Bless

3. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I knew someone would finally understand my personal mission!! I will post some pictures from this coming Fridays event and naturally I will be donating some clothing and footwear. There comes a point in life when one becomes less "self absorbed" and wants to give and not take.

Thanks for your reply,
    Gregg

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Two good ways to do that are "Silver" and "Rossa".

:)

5. Modulo_B

Modulo_B Karting

Jan 20, 2007
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Rudy

Lol, stay strong brother! And good job sharing your time and strength with those in need.
    Bravo

6. DoubleDown

DoubleDown Rookie

Sep 17, 2013
    Good on you. It's a hard task, but someone has to do it.
    People know when you care.

7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Photos?
    Should be back from film shop by now...

8. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #8 texasmr2, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    Lol good one Matt and I will probably get a Silver again in the near future :).

They will be cellphone pictures (if I get approval to take a few) but I have one vehicle task and one family matter that may not let me go tomorrow. I was informed by the lady I have been in contact with at the Mission and she told me I can volunteer at any time.

9. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I do not know you but if I did, I'd be very proud to say I did.

I have shared my feelings about this in many posts.

QUOTE=texasmr2;142669211]I just thought this could be a good topic for those of us who enjoy giving more than receiving. Next week I will be volunteer at our local "Women and Family Emergency Shelter" annual "Harvest Festival" where not only food and clothing is provided but activities for the kids. Hopefully I will be able to contain/hide my tears until I get back home, got to stay strong right! I also reserved a spot for Thanksgiving.

I apologize if this is a little heavy for some yet I am virtually possessed with helping those who are I need.[/QUOTE]

10. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Thank you sir that is very kind. :)

As I had mentioned previously I was not sure if I could make it and I did not but on a positive note I did get my family and vehicle issues fixed today so I am now good to go. Also yesterday I had them email me a list of all the times and dates for all three Missions so now I can pick and choose.

Best,
    Gregg

11. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #11 texasmr2, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
    This Saturday will be my initiation at the "Men's Transition" center and I will be a kitchen worker (washing dishes). After that I will be stopping by Lakewood Church to say hello to Eric.

12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    So today was my first day as a volunteer and I helped serve lunch at the men's shelter. It was a great experience and everyone was so nice and so thankful for the help and I look forward to volunteering a lot more. I did not take any pictures though simply because I am the newbie and did not want to offend anyone. Volunteering for those who are less fortunate is one of the most rewarding life experiences I have ever experienced.

13. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I thought I would resurrect this thread and share my newest volunteer efforts.

1) On Dec 5th I will be helping "Meals on Wheels" for the elderly. (When I was in Marlin my boss Sheriff Ben Kirk would not even allow me one hour every Friday to help feed the elderly with the county judge :( ).

2) On Dec 21st I will be helping host a Holiday Party for former and current foster children and young adults.

Life is good. ;)

14. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    I just filled the trunk of my Miata (I know it's a joke) w/ bags of clothes to take down to the local Humane Society's thrift shop. Does that count?

15. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Yes it does count. I had a '99 Miata and was surprised how much stuff it would hold.

16. Duane_Estill

Duane_Estill F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Duane K Estill
    The main thing is this, seasonal thinking is the shallowest and least effective approach of all. I've seen scores of cute little couples do their "soup kitchen" thing for a bit then go about the hopelessly uninvolved and sefl-absorbed lives, which essentially does nothing to help the problem whereas it goes a long way towards contenting them that they've done something about the problem. They haven't. A few hours a year is a joke against the back drop of the need. Poverty and homeless is 24/7 365 days a year.

"At least they did something?" Sure, but that is absolute minimum someone could do.

"But if hundreds show up, they can do alot." For that one day, whereas 10 people spread out over ten months can do ten times the work that one thousand showing up for 4 hours on Thanksgiving.

There are only 1,094 meals remaining,

17. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Are you implying I am seasonal? I have volunteered several times a month for the past 3yrs.

18. Duane_Estill

Duane_Estill F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Duane K Estill
    I wouldn't relegate the point to that. Once is better than none.