Mang's Garage | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Mang's Garage

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Mang, May 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    They are in there Ralph...go back a page, to the Italian side of the garage, next to the automobila/desk. (Volkl) Collecting dust though :/ I'm allergic to snow, but not snow bunnies :D

2. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Jets are kept at Truckee airport, 20 minutes away. No boat either, but I figure unless you live on the lake with your own electric hoist/pier, then boat life becomes a HASSLE! I do envision restoring a classic small Donzi or similar in the shed? Maybe down the road.

3. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Thanks Ron, been a true labor of love.

4. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Love the layout, keep enjoying that man cave!

5. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #130 Mang, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    thanks Dino,

Monumental day over here...been busting A$$ for the past 5 months, never worked physically harder/labor and today with a foot of snow forecast when temperatures drop tonite, I was under pressure to complete everything in time. Saws stopped whirring when rain started falling steadily today, but we made it. The last cut was made, electrical turned off and clean up began, the result after 3.5 years of my nearly completed vision in photos from earlier today. I still am hanging a big ranch gate in front of the shed next, after this storm, and will be laying those stones down now that we are done prepping for car storage/ramps, etc. The steel treads on the ramps match the stair treads, exactly, both found with luck separate times on Craigslist.

I might also keep this thread going with the 912 'restomod' a part of it. I know I like car and cabin 'builds'.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #131 Mang, Nov 4, 2015
    next phase, laid stones down, next individually dig each stone into the surface, very time consuming but works! I started at edge by road and against house after setting up layout.

Also some detail of the shed, fully trimmed inside and out, floor tiles, barnwood trim and curtains that somehow fit all three windows, I had three left from house remodel. That wood threshold is an engineering piece of art. It took hours to create, but does a lot of things if you study it.

7. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #132 Mang, Nov 13, 2015
    In between snow storms managed to set all stone, it takes months to set up properly. Engineered drainage areas for water, we had serious rain and a few snow storms already, I was out playing in the mud, studying how water situated as I have changed the terrain a bit. It is all functioning nicely, ready for El Nino. I sunk the post today and wrestled and propped the rustic gate into position. I need to drill 2 holes and hang that gate tomorrow. I am replacing the derelict 2x4 shimming the shed from the cabin, with some antique plow arms, detail stuff still to do.

photos taken just now...

8. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #133 Mang, Nov 17, 2015
    Finally hung gate today...after we had a nice layer of white, made for a nice 'wintery' photo op. I'm beefing up the fence/gate right until sunset tonite, I'll show with photos what I'm up to when project complete.

9. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #134 Mang, Nov 21, 2015
    I used a 50 lb. pick bar and sunk into rockhard sandstone 3 feet, a second post, bolted it to the first post - two old giant antique rusty bolts and nuts that I salvaged and have been sitting around for a couple years, never knew I would find a functional use for them, they still worked, allows me to tweak the angle of the gate just right, and EXTREMELY sturdy, like most everything on this cabin. Decorated it up with shizzle and done done done with most major projects for now...I am building heavy stone steps up the hillside next. 4 are done, estimate it will take 100 or so to go anywhere, that represents months of labor.

photos of the first 4 and you can see the endless hill behind. My property has nice terraced areas up there, so I want to first build some steps, and then exploit those areas with ?? not sure yet. The 2 big trees way up there will soon have a hammock hanging, but after winter.

The last 2 shots are where I finished laying stone in the entryway, where it slopes from driveway to bottom of stairs.

some before and after of the transformation here...

10. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #135 Mang, Nov 21, 2015
  11. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #136 Mang, Nov 24, 2015
    Everything sorted and put away, just in time. This is why all the non stop urgency to complete these projects. Just now. We do seem to be getting a steady flow of storms now weekly.

12. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  13. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Way cool project and it all came together amazingly well. Did they really just give you all that siding?? That stuff is beautiful. Love the use of different materials and your application of them makes it look like it's been that way for years.

Great job!!

14. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Thank you sure, yes indeed they gave me the siding. I waited patiently for more than a year, and was first informed by the owners rep, they had not made provisions for removed material, so I let it go...then one day a text, the gal said she kept my contact and the owners said come and get it. It was no picnic getting it down, monkey bars and 30 ft ladders did the trick. No kidding, this labor on this property led me to knee surgery and rotator cuff next. I'm too old for this work at this level. Too late though, partially wrecked.

15. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Nice! and you got it done before the real storms hit.

J&NParr likes this.
  16. Einsteiger

Einsteiger Karting

Oct 9, 2014
    Overland Park, KS US
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The....REAL storms??

17. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    El Niño is real

18. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #143 Mang, Jan 11, 2016
    I snuck off to warmer climate to rehab my knee, and avoid El Niño for a few weeks anyway. Here is an interesting drone shot of my 'hood' and home from a couple weeks ago. This area is ALL white now, lots more fresh snow.

19. SizzleChest

SizzleChest Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2014
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    ^^^Great shot!

20. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Super progress! I think I threw my back out just thinking about getting in and out of the car in your new side garage though! I think that is where I would keep the Morgan 3 Wheeler.

21. 9779

9779 Karting

Feb 12, 2006
    Norman, Ok
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Threads like this are exactly why I love Ferrarichat. I just found this thread yesterday. I've been a member here for many years and I'm always coming across new and interesting stuff.

Great job on your place sir!

22. Parker

Parker Karting

Mar 26, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    I have been watching this thread over the past couple years and have always been amazed with what you have done. So much props for all your hard work and re-use of materials. Very impressive!

23. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Great picture.

24. Formula1r

Formula1r Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name: