Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918 | Page 741 | FerrariChat

Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by mpowered, Nov 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    from what i heard, the factory 'support' consisted of providing the car, and being 'available' for consult if 'needed'. Porsche was hands off...

it's late in the game now, so pretty much everyone knows what's up with what. Porsche are clearly confident and more than happy with the product they've put out.

2. V8ray

V8ray Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Ray
    It is free for some, but some of us pay voluntary monthly so that Chris Harris can make better videos.

3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
  4. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Well it is a street car and not a race car.

5. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    It's a street car with a track mode that's illegal on the street.

6. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    I thought it was illegal everywhere, not just the UK. I figured they went all the way in track mode, not caring about regulations. (I always thought there were minimum bumper heights manufacturers had to meet. What we do after we buy them is still up to us.)

7. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    cant remember what the source was...think Mac post waaay back in the day...but it went something like this: in race mode the min bumper height does not meet DOT, per pedestrian and as per production car was crash tested and legalized at 'standard' ride height...

8. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
  9. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    HYPER 5 results:

918: 1:18.44 s
    LaF: 1:18.46 s
    P1: 1:18.822 s
    Veyron: 1:23.006 s
    Huayra: 1:23.76 s

Customer cars, right? But I don't remember if they stated tires used for each car.

10. Argosy

Argosy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2013
    stock tires, P1 on Trofeo Rs

11. Pagani2011

Pagani2011 Karting

Mar 25, 2011
    What is really funny to see is that especially in Hyper 5 they just put the cars on a 1/4 mile against each other but from so many test that have done before like (Sportauto 0-300-0, Grip) you can see that the Porsche 918 went from 0-300 in around 20 seconds whereas Koenigsegg Agera R went in around 17-18 which is exactly the same that the Veyron SS does so the benchmark should be a race from 0-300 as the Veyron SS is still one of the fastest cars even today and i am sure it could easily win in a 0-300 test run against the LAF, P1 and 918

12. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What a sentence...

13. Sunraider

Sunraider Rookie

Nov 2, 2015
    So, following your logic, the P1 sucks because it lost in Salomondrin video using Trofeo tires right?

14. Sunraider

Sunraider Rookie

Nov 2, 2015
    The LaFerrari lost fair and square in this one.
    But this test proves something, how superior the Trofeo tires are.

In fact, it's the only loss LaF took so far, because the conditions were the same. Had the P1 used Trofeos on TheSUPERCARDRIVER test, it would have suffered an utter loss.

15. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    I would take any one of those cars, loser or winner, and be quite happy!

16. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Must admit I think the LaF could do with a tad more downforce. Wonder if Ferrari would be willing to add a few little extra lips or one would have to do it himself.

17. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Me too.

18. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    Just buy an FXX-K. :)

19. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    The 918 and LaF are so close that one lap could make a difference for either car. A fraction of a section quicker shift, later braking, better exit, etc. could have the LaF edging out the 918.

20. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Absolutely. Bottom line after two serious timed tests in the same week is that all three are incredibly close. Sure nobody expected such tight results. They're so close that different tests give different results. Take all three to the Nürburgring you'll get yet another different result.

21. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    so now all these tests have confirmed to me what my initial opinions were when these cars first came out. porsche would be fastest, best engineered, most practical, best value, and have open top. despite that, laf would be my pick due to looks, sound, sense occasion, and best investment. mcca would be last due to looks, turbo motor, step down from last macca supercar f1.

all of this is repeat of last decade enzo, cgt, sls. enzo for looks, sound, occasion. porsche second for engineering, open top, stick shift. sls distant third. so at least macca is making up ground and getting closer. next decade will be interesting for them to beat the established ones esp if they go back to central seating. really missed out on that with p1, imo

22. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #18522 TexasF355F1, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    Which is exactly what Harris said of all the cars.

It sure seems like the LaF is a handful to drive compared to the other 2.

23. Westview

Westview Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2014
    Summary of recent head to head comparisons:
    918 - quickest accelerating in low speed situations, wins on slower technical tracks
    P1 - quickest accelerating in high speed situations, wins on longer, straighter tracks
    LaFerrari - stuck in between the two, so doesn't win on any track, but most desirable of all three.

24. Bigthree

Bigthree Karting

Mar 9, 2015
    Germany
    What is interesting is that the Hyper 5 test and the Motorend (P1 VS 918) both conclusively show that the 918 is quicker than the P1.

On the tests of Bailey and Chris Harris the P1 wins. This reminds me of an old joke:

What is fair play? Answer: the English make the rules.

Bailey with his Mcl jockey and Chris Harris has on numerous occasions let through his favouring of the P1 (see interview on Goodwood TV)

And the comment that driving the P1 felt most normal and not like being in a "deathwatch" is not befitting of a professional journalist. I have never felt like being in a death trap in my 918 or in the LF.. What a stupid comment. Too be honest the reason why the P1 feels "normal" is unfortunately because is has the same tub and suspension and engine of the MC12 and 650 and 675 and 570 and 540! Add a trick suspension,a massive hydraulicly operated rear wing, turbo boost and engine mods and a formula e motor and you get a P1.
    That is fact. And it still is a fantastic car despite the standard components. Why does he not mention that if the others are supposed to feel like death traps. It's disappointing. I expected much more from his test. The best of the test was Franchitti who summed it up! You need all three.

For me after 8000kms with all three, if it's just speed that matters the Porsche is the quickest car.

25. Bigthree

Bigthree Karting

Mar 9, 2015
    Germany
    Sorry not deathwatch but deathtrap