gearbox oil | FerrariChat

gearbox oil

Discussion in '308/328' started by JohnnyTS, Apr 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    #1 JohnnyTS, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    just like to get some inputs on gearbox oil, if I use a Castrol SMX synthetic / Longlife gearbox oil 75w90 on a 308/328.

Liqui Molly full synthetic 75w90, any one with experience ?

will it be that different or harder to shift etc, I understand Motul Motylgear 75W90 - Technosynthese are highly recommended for "hard to shift" gearboxes.

2. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I put in castrol SAF-XJ 75-140w with a small amount of red line additive and is working much smoother in cold conditions here in the UK

3. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    This has been often discussed on here. The problem is that the same gear oil is lubricating both the transmission and the differential. You need a small amount of limited slip modifier to prevent the rings in the differential from "graunching" in tight turns. But if you use too much, it becomes too slippery for the sychros in the transmission to work properly. As a result, you need a compromise so that both the tranny and the differential are happy.

What many of us do is use Red Line 75W90NS, which does not have the limited slip modifier, along with 1 quart of Red Line 75W90, which does have the hypoid modifiers. I've used that combination in an '84 Mondial QV that I owned, my former '78 308 GTS, and now in my '86 328 GTS. It has worked great in all three cars, and I know a bunch of other 3x8 folks using the same combination and we are all satisfied with performance.

4. Freddie328

Freddie328 Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    + 1
    This combo is the best I've used.

5. icecar-1

icecar-1 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2008
    Topsfield/Danvers Ma
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I use AMSOIL 75-90 extreme pressure synthetic with an additive for the differential. Absolutely no shifting issues in my 86 328s. been in over 2 years now...

6. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    thanks for sharing guys, helps !

cheers
    Johnny

7. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Brian Crall has recommended Redline MTL manual transaxle lubricant. Isn't this easier than mixing and matching?

8. Freddie328

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    This was the response I received from the UK Redline rep when looking at options.....

Richard, thank you for your enquiry.

In the Ferrari transaxle the 75W90NS is recommended, the MTL is a lower viscosity than specified and a GL-4 rather than a GL-5.

The MTL contains a very slight amount of friction modifier, it is basically a non slippery fluid.
    The Ferrari limited slip transaxle doesn’t typically require a friction modifier, as it doesn’t chatter when making a slow/tight turn.

So contrary to what you have read or been told, Red Line 75W-90NS would be the recommended fluid.

9. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    My experience is the opposite. Without friction modifier it does chatter when making a slow/tight turn.

10. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    +1 this is the stuff. GL4 for 308/328 boxes. GL5 for most everything else.

11. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    So then what is the correct combination?

One quart of MTL into the 75W90NS base?

One quart of 75W90 into the MTL base?

MTL in lieu of anything else?

12. bolex

bolex Karting

Feb 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I just switched to 75W90NS at last annual service three weeks ago and the 2nd gear issue is GONE. From the first shift after startup there is absolutely no grinding. I am sold and will never use anything else.

13. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    ok, but are the protection still as good as non NS ?

14. Freddie328

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I switched to :
    What many of us do is use Red Line 75W90NS, which does not have the limited slip modifier, along with 1 quart of Red Line 75W90.
    But I'm not sure the gearbox shifts as well as it did before. Trouble is I don't know what was in it before.
    Has anyone found anything better than this combo?

15. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Read post #3

16. ExigentM

ExigentM Rookie

Jul 18, 2010
    Hamilton, Oh
    Full Name:
    Mark Kile
    My experience is same as Bolex - the Redline 75W90NS solved the difficulty of shifting into 2nd gear when cold.

17. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Yes but does it introduce another problem, as mentioned above, diff chatter, which is a low "groan" when turning a tight corner under power? Without any friction modifier this might happen.

18. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I switched my 308 QV to the Redline 3x75W90/1x75W90NS mix when I bought it 2.5 years ago; then this year switched to the Redline MTL (with Redline friction modifier) on Brian's recommendations - there are no hypoid gears in the 308 transaxle, so it doesn't need GL5 at all. While the Redline mix improved the cold second gear shifting, it's even better with MTL.

19. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    I've tried the MTL and the 75/90 & 75/90NS combination. The latter just feels better in my car so that's what I use. The 75W90 goes in first, then the NS.

If I recall Brian's advice was to use the MTL as a next step only if the 75/90 combination didn't feel/work right

20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have never not used MTL in my own and a number of other 308/328's I service. I use it in all them now.

75/90 is very good too but the shift quality with MTL is better. MT90 is a good choice too.

One client had about 130,000 miles using it. I serviced the car since new and never saw the inside of the transmission. The motor was very tired, the whole car was getting tired but the trans worked like new. That car alone has convinced me it is a good choice for that transmission type. We had the motor out to replace head gaskets and getting into the trans never even crossed our minds.

21. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    So just to be perfectly clear, just use 100% Red Line MTL Transmission Gear Oil and nothing else, straight up. No mixing etc.

22. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Thats an unusual mix though, the more usual is the other way round, 3x75W90NS/1x75W90 just to give enough friction modifier for the diff.

23. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That is what I use.

24. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  25. TacElf

TacElf Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 15, 2010
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Good info. I'll try switching to Redline MTL on the next gearbox oil change. Not that I've had any issues with the gearbox in the 4 years I've owned the car. Last year I put in Royal Purple, which the car seems to like just fine (6000+ miles this year).

BTW: What's the usual cadence for the gearbox oil changes? Annual, semi-annual, every 3-5 years?