PPI needed near Silver Springs MD | FerrariChat

PPI needed near Silver Springs MD

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by ixlr8, Nov 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi folks, I am in Maine and I am considering the 550 at Koons in Silver Springs MD and I'm looking for a PPI in the area. I have been told that Competizione did the last service but I have not seen the service records yet. I'm not sure if servicing shop should do PPI on itself so to speak. Although I get the impression from reading some of the other threads that folks in the area trust Competizione. I would like to have the PPI done, or someone local who knows the car give me a heads up on the car before I drive 11 hrs to go see it.

Thank you,

Jim Peck

2. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hi Jim,

Competizione is the BEST independent shop in the area! You should give Richard or Fernando at Competizione a call and see what they can tell you about the car. They are straight shooters and they are always VERY honest with their customers (I'm one of them). Since you'll be taking the car away from the area, there's really no reason for them to lie to you.

I seriously doubt Koons will let you have the 550 sent out to anyone place else to look at the car. I would offer to look at the car, but I am in Virginia. Sorry. :(

Bill P.

3. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I live about 8 miles from there if you want me to stop by just to visually see it. Odd area for a 550, as I believe that is a Ford dealer.

4. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Chris, If you have the time, I would greatly appreciate it if you could take a quick look at the car. Yes, Koons is a Lincloln-Mercury dealer... "home of the WOW pricing". gag

5. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Perhaps someone has traded it in on a Shelby 350R..or a GT

6. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    PM sent

7. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    The car's been there for a few weeks. I have my Focus ST serviced there. No way will they let it get taken out of the showroom for a PPI. What's in it for them?

8. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    What's in it for them? THE SALE! Koons knows very well who Competzione is. If they refuse a PPI, you know exactly what the problem is.

9. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Won't happen. Too much liability.

10. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Actually, it would be the buyer (in this case "ixlr8") who would arrange with the dealer (Koons) to have one of their guys take the car up to Competizione for the PPI. Of course they won't let the perspective buyer take car on the road to another location to get a PPI. It never hurts to ask! :)

Good luck ixlr8. Let us know how it goes.

Bill P.

11. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Competizione won't do a PPI, too much liability, but they will do a Vehicle Inspection. Not sure of the legal differences and liabilities involved. I have spoken with, and arranged for, Competizione to do the VI. But, I got word late last night that a deal had been made on the car and should be finalized today. :( To make matters worse, I was able to speak with the previous owner and it sounds like it is an excellent well sorted out car.

12. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Too bad. You certainly gave it a good try. Maybe it was not meant to be and something better will come along.

13. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    ...as I said, It would have never happened.

A dealer would rather let it sit in the showroom for Mustang customers to ogle than have it transported around town for PPIs for every punter that requests one.

14. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Actually.... the other buyer backed out of the deal last night. :) The car is going for a PPI next Thursday and if all checks out okay... I will pick up the car the following Monday. :)

15. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Crossing fingers for you!

16. breitlingherst

breitlingherst Karting

Aug 21, 2007
    Hmmm...did you find out exactly WHY the other buyer backed out? Did he find something that you should be aware of before buying? Hopefully your PPI finds any issues/concerns.

17. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    From what I was told, the other buyer decided to buy a red 550 instead. Based on the timing of events, I suspect he bought the red 550 from Canada.

18. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    I sit corrected. Good for you, man, Good luck.

19. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks,
    Apparently 4 people looked at the car in the last week, and all made offers. All the deals fell thru but none of them asked for a PPI. Which I found odd on a car like this. Maybe I am just being too cautious. Two of the deals feel thru due to offers being too low, one guy decided to buy a different car and I don't know what happened with the fourth. A local F-chatter looked at the car Saturday and said he saw over spray from a repaint of left front fender and drivers door. He also reported a tear in the drivers seat. He is going to send me pictures Monday.. so this may not be a done deal, at least not at asking price.

20. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Jim,

I'm glad the story is not over yet! I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully you'll be able to secure the car. Please let us know how the story ends.

Regards,

Bill P.

21. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I went on Saturday and looked at it for Jim(spent maybe an hour there). Yes, it has a few flaws, but nothing big. And everything can be fixed for next to nothing cost wise. If you are spending over $100K, and all the repairs cost $1K, I don't see that as an issue. All the paperwork is there, fitted luggage, etc. I'm not a 550 expert, but I consider myself very good at spotting even very good repair work. Unfortunately, these cars are so low volume that they are made differently than the average car. For example, the front lower lip is painted black. On any mass produced car, it would be a separate black plastic part.

One really interesting item in the paperwork, which I wish I had taken a picture of, was a letter addressed to a new owner in 2010. It reads like this: "Dear sir, the $10 rubber ducky you purchased for the 14th annual Lakeshore General Hospital duck race fundraiser has been picked up from the Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue Canal as our winning duck. Please come pick up your prize in the form of a 2001 Ferrari 550 Maranello when it is convenient for you. Retail value is $133K."

22. moorfan

moorfan Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Rest assured that if Competizione did the work then it was done correctly.

Overspray on a fender? So what. There are many reasons why these cars may have been repainted in places (I just had both front fenders on my 550 repainted because years of detailers polishing the car led to burn through of the soft factory clearcoat.) There is no substitute for laying your own eyes on the vehicle...

23. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Apparently Competizione has been doing the work on this car for several years. The car was damaged while in storage at the local Ferrari dealer. Dealer had the repairs done, I was just hoping the quality was high enough that one couldn't be able to tell. Competizione just completed a Vehicle Inspection for me, gave it a clean bill of health. If the traffic gods are with me, I will be checking the car out myself tomorrow.

Jim

24. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Keep us posted!

I used to work at this dealer during my car selling phase!

25. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Good luck Jim. Keep us posted.