Are classic Ferraris really expensive? | FerrariChat

Are classic Ferraris really expensive?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by any_1, Nov 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    Many question how a classic Ferrari can be worth USD 10, 20 or even 30 million. The other day a Modigliani painting was sold for USD 170 million. 170 million for 6 sq ft of canvas with some paint on it.... Sure, you can hang it on a wall and enjoy it.

For that amount you could buy a pretty nice collection of Ferrari cars. Works of art that you can enjoy with all senses (OK, you can't eat a Ferrari. At least you wil not enjoy eating it). It looks better than the painting, it sounds beautiful, you can feel the car when you drive it, and the smell of petrol may be an acquired taste, but most people here enjoys it I guess. Plus - you can bring the car to events, drive it on tours and track days...

A no-brainer?

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    When a painting oxidizes it adds character and patina.

When a car oxidizes it has rust

3. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Yet it is still just a painting that all one can do it stare at ;).

4. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

On the contrary..........patina on a vintage car is very sought after, and an original patina vintage car will fetch often times as much or more than a restored car.

As for paintings.......some people appreciate different types of art. Good for them.

5. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Cue the "Modligani" bubble thread...

I'd rather have $170MM of appreciating toys...

6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If it was never touched-- yes

If it was restored once (which most have) -- no.

Sorry, no one wants a rusty 308. That's not patina. That's rust!

7. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014
    I don't know a lot about paintings but I don't think they have maintenance issues. I think if it is stored at about room temperature you should be ok. Owning a classic Ferrari you need to spend money to maintain it whether you drive it or not. Those costs can really add up over time. I'm not saying the Ferrari isn't still a good investment. It just takes more upkeep than a painting. Plus the idea of a car being viewed as art is a fairly new concept.

8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I respectfully disagree. Paintings require proper atmospheric conditions--temperature, humidity, light--which must be precisely monitored; they are difficult to store and to transport; and the cost of insurance is commensurate with value. The total cost of maintenance is significant, as it can be with a collector car. My 2 cents.

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The painting can never be duplicated. It is the only one of its kind forever. Sure copies can be made/faked, but this is the only one the world has.

A 250 GTO could be built again and again by Ferrari and they could build it exactly the way they built them in the past.

The artist Himself could never duplicate his own painting brush stroke for brush stroke..ever. It is by far the more valuable piece.

10. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I'm sorry....but a 308 is not a Vintage Ferrari.
    But I am willing to bet in 30 years or so you will be eating those words. I would be willing to place a bet but unfortunately(for me) my Granddaughter will be collecting.

11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    When you see paintings & Sculptures from the "great masters" Da Vinci, Rembrant, Monet, etc... go for huge $$$ you are not only buying the actual work, but the history and provenance of the piece. you are in essence becoming a part of its history.

Picasso and Monet painted some crappy art, but its all now worth more becuse of the master works.... this is consistent with Ferrari.

I'd compare the 250 GTO w/ Rembrants self portraits and a 308 with Picasso's china paintings... they both come from masters but have differing values.

there will only ever be one original Mona Lisa... and only 39 GTO's ( what ever the actual count is) .... while Picasso painted a lot of things... like a 308... but regardless they both have the Ferrari name which is worth more than a similar car from GM.

12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I was just at Ferrari - and my 328 was referred to as a "vintage" Ferrari... sadly it does not command the same prices as a 250 ... or 330...

13. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    And security cost.

14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Its hard to compare the two but my 2 cents is these cars were undervalued- severely- for some time. So even with the recent run up- our basis for comparison is values that are too low. Time will tell if Im correct.

I'd also rather have the toys. Just not into paintings and traditional artwork....

15. Super_Dave

Super_Dave Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Logic of art market is in bubble, so that supports classic car values as a general matter?

Or logic of art market in bubble, so classic car bubble should be even bigger?

Or logic of art values = X and so therefore car values should also = X?

Really not sure what to think of any of the above.

If the 250 GTO was a single unique car, it would likely fetch $150mm+ In fact, I would be shocked if not.

If all 250 GTOs save for one somehow spontaneously combusted, same thing.

If cars were historically produced as entirely unique pieces, and attained global recognition of the likes of the Mona Lisa, then I could see a "like for like" comparison.

As things stand, I don't see how you can try to compare the prices. Of course, insofar as justifications for abnormal prices go, it is always the case to create justifications, so it is consistent with human nature. We like to have "answers" or things upon which to support our views / beliefs.

16. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I don't think it's quite that simple. I like the look of evenly faded paint, door handles with the chrome worn through to the base metal, a few body dings here and there from normal use, and distressed leather. That's patina on a car, to me.

I tend to agree with your assessment here.

17. Super_Dave

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Somehow, for 90% of their history, the cars were "undervalued" based on what?

They did run up, dramatically, in the late 1980s, so was that when people's eyes were "open" briefly? Then after, people all of a sudden undervalued them again (and that incorrect "undervaluing" persisted for years)?

Now the values are still "too low"?

Having a hard time understanding this. The cars don't generate cash flow except when they trade hands (they have value as items of "want" and "history" and nothing more). So it's hard to understand this notion of under/over valued that seems to suggest that most of the time, the "values" are too low...

I am not downplaying the beauty of the cars, or their artful nature (they are indeed more art today), but not following the logic.

18. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    No not the same thing. You're right if all but one 250GTO was destroyed tomorrow the value of the survivor would sky rocket but only because it would be the last surviving reminder of the collective history of the 250GTO's together.

There are plenty of examples of rarer and even unique Ferraris and cars from other marques that are not as valuable as the GTO because they don't have the same combination of history, looks and usability. Even within the ranks of the GTO's themselves there is considerable variation in value based on their individual histories.

19. Super_Dave

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Same thing, given the same starting point assumptions, of course.

In any case, my "same thing" comment was not literally "exact same situation" since both situations are hypothetical. If the car carried the same historical significance, etc, etc, a more limited number would have resulted in a far higher value.

You need that assumption to hold true to make the comparison, of course.

Obviously many rarer and unique Ferraris, or from other marques, again, not addressing my point, which clearly assumes ceteris paribus.

A one-off car, with no history or appeal, isn't the same thing. I could also go and paint something tomorrow that my mom will probably love but I doubt just because it's a one-of-a-kind that it will fetch much on ebay.

Going back to my point, cars of historical value or interest can't be "valued" off art work, other than perhaps noting that both groups have skyrocketed and plummeted in the past, and neither (typically) generates any cash flow (other than negative). So the value is in the eyes of the collective beholders. Better measure of value is over longer periods of time, since you can get rid of some of the speculative ups (and downs) when people are rushing to buy, buy, buy, or cashing out in fear of bigger value declines (or to get liquidity).

Saying people have historically over or undervalued one or the other is silly, since there is nothing to "under" or "over" value inherently, other than the historical preference of people in the market.

Comic book values skyrocketed over a period of time beyond any historical basis. People looked back and wondered why people didn't "historically" have any good sense and also value them more highly... then the market crashed, and people wondered why anyone valued them so highly. Pretty much any non-cash generating collectible has seen these swings and the only thing I've seen consistently in the long-run is a reversion to the typical / average historical prices (reversion to mean).

20. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    For a very long time cars were not looked upon as artwork of any form. I think thats been slowly changing.

Gold doesn't generate cash flow either.

You're right- this is entirely human behavior. Most investments have some element of human behavior factored in. I believe the mindset has shifted forever. Will I be right or wrong? We have to wait to know. In the mean time we can drive and enjoy. :)

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #21 TheMayor, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    Depends on your definition. You could say "classic" instead but 308's are now almost 40 years old. The 308 is still "Enzo era", although many won't consider it so.

Most people consider a car over 30 years old to be classic. And, there is no doubt that 308 prices are rising in the last 10 years. In fact, 328 prices have doubled in less than 5. How many investments fall into that category?

My point is you can lock up a painting 30 years and it won't degrade. Take any car and do that and find out that the aluminum block is corroded, the leather is cracking and shrinking, the fuel is now gunk, the brakes need to be rebuilt, the paint is flat, etc, etc. In short, they take maintenance to keep them in top shape.

22. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Why is one stainless steel Swiss movement watch more expensive than another one?

23. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Right. Its all associations and BS.

I think people are just looking upon automobiles with a different set of eyes. We will see it it remains.

Time wears down all man made creations- just differently.

24. Carbonero

Carbonero Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2009
    Troll Free Zone
    Full Name:
    Bill
  25. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd