new garage $2 1/4 million | Page 2 | FerrariChat

new garage $2 1/4 million

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by bundas, Oct 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 99_Carrera

99_Carrera Formula 3

Nov 2, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Bundas,

Consider what I'm saying very carefully.

First, you need to take a breather for a week or two. But then you need to look at this project with some inner creativity. Is it going to be what some architect drew out at the beginning of this? Absolutely not. But you can create something even better.

Some of my greatest stories, and my biggest accomplishments have been overcoming massive obstacles life has thrown at me. Same with you. I know you have your own, too. This matter is no different.

Who needs glass cut specifically to one drawing? In fact, I bet you can figure out something else that is your own signature that may not even use glass. Or use smaller glass with more masonry.

Who needs an elevator? I bet you can figure out a way to do a ramp, or improvise with a different elevator, or something else altogether.

No matter what though, you can take this situation, spin it with your own creativity, and build beauty out of what you've been given.

Take some time. Think about this. You are the artist here.

2. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    first, I am over sticker shock. money is still an issue. the last basement wall was formed. concrete tomorrow. the 700 sq. ft. expansion will give me what I needed to start with. before the architect screwed up. I will have to make some compromises but I can make it work. basement will be 45'L X 33' wide X 12'H floor will be Penn. blue slate, walls dry lay stone. four openings will be cut through the 1' concrete wall. 6' W X 8' H. after tomorrow the wait starts until the steel floor support design and made. another week or two away. glass, three months from the OK and money received date. met with two glass companies. finally. I had to sit in an office this morning and catch him. todays company is much more capable than the one yesterday. and they can get the glass I want. the others could not. so back to one bidder. the third company does not have a clue. called another bank today. they want too much interest. 4.87. no way.

3. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I have been on the phone since 8am. I find that the engineering firm guy is lying! caught him. great. the architect is so bad that I will have to spend $40,000 to fix the roof design. I am now well beyond getting upset at this crap. it still amazes me at the depth of stupid.

4. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McKeown
    My man... PLEASE step back, slow the F down, and breathe for a little bit.

Take a vacation somewhere primitive and relax for a little while. Your focus has narrowed and you are frantic. Even jugglers know their limit of things in the air...

5. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Of course you are right. All done now. Until I get engineering info. A week? At this point a few weeks make no difference. Trip to fantasy land. Not my style. I am at a truck custom shop now. Ordering running boards for the two LaForza.

6. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    This I dont understand 40K to fix a design? The whole complete set of original design and plans should not cost that much let alone to "fix a design"

This is out of control...

7. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    #32 bundas, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
    I have been busy. coffee first and listed to all the Breeders Cup guys complaining about Red Roof Inn Prices at $750 a night! got my felon started about 8:30. plan was to pull the 2000 Aston Martin motor and transmission. I pulled him off that job to go get the sofa from the trucking terminal. got that home and had to put him to work helping with the concrete pour on my garage wall. that done at three. he had enough. so now is wait time for a glass quote Monday noon from two companies. an engineer design for the floor support over the basement.. I got two LaForza home today. happy times. next post here, next week. me spend $40,000 for a fix, NO. I am waiting for all the cost of fixing this. then lawyer time.

8. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    Mitchell, have you ever considered hiring a Construction Manager to aid you in the process? Seems like you need someone in between you (the owner) and the Design/Construction team.

Just my $0.02..

9. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I eliminated the architect. things running smooth now. talking directly to the engineering firm, contractor and steel fab. company. first e mail of the day was from the architect. blood pressure jumped instantly. he presented a problem that did not exist. I told all to leave him out of the loop. so already I have two issues solved. now steel fab. company can go ahead and do floor support over the new section of basement. once that is installed the first floor can be poured..bingo!

10. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    have two. first one $112,000. but they would not answer my questions. second bid came in tonight. vague, $250,000. I called and told them I need exact details. they tried to skip one item. caught them. so the job will be requoted. I specified, 'blast proof' glass. withstanding 120mph 8' 2x4. I should get the last bids this week. four total. another issue. elevators. I called about delivery date. claimed they did not have all the info. got the contractor on a three way. they had the info. just screwing around. delays. I need to contact the car lift builder tomorrow. once the car elevator and the concrete floor get in I can use the basement. there will be no money to dress out the basement floors and walls but at least I can start moving stuff out of the warehouse I sold. arranged a $350,000 line of credit today. 4.75% not happy but that seems the going rate. will only use as a last resort.

11. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I doubt that anyone but you will notice these elements. Visitors will probably be in awe of your cars and all the steel and glass upstairs. You can always add paint later.

12. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    #37 bundas, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    Steel floor will be in in two weeks. A week from Monday a crew will cut holes in the foot thick concrete wall $2,000. They want another $2,000 to remove the stuff. That ain't gonna happen. Car elevator will arrive Dec. 15 the personal elevator Jan 15. I good with that. Glass bids may get here Friday. I cannot understand why the promise with no intention of honoring

13. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    because they know if they string you along eventually you will not have an option of going to someone else if you ever want it done. If they can delay you changing your mind long enough that no one can come in and meet your schedule, or if they can get material on order that you then have to pay for or pay restocking...they got you.

If you were a builder you would have leverage as they know if they screw you this time they won't even be invited to quote next time. But as an individual doing a one-off, the job of the unscrupulous contractor vendor is to get in and get as much out of you as they can.

14. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    How big are the holes in the wall? If it is just core drill size (say 4" or less in diameter), that seems outrageous.

When I did some landscaping I routed the supply lines for the sprinklers under our house, rented a core drill and drilled several 2-1/2" & 3" holes through the foundation that was at least a foot thick solid concrete.

15. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    #40 bundas, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    I have a second meet with one glass contractor tomorrow at one. Not a final. My contractor is contacting two more outside the area. I called four in Concinnati. They could not handle any more business. Architect sends my contractor, copied me that it is my fault that I do not have a glass contract. I fired him two weeks ago. As to holes. Their are three 7'H X 8'W. Big holes. I am joining two sections to make the basement larger. I requested a 26' wide and got 18' 6". Pissed. Architect screwed it up

16. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

#41 norcal2, Nov 6, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    If you are wanting blast proof glass...ive worked in lot of buildings that use frag film instead of the thick glass...which is a lot cheaper....and i have seen them take blasts and work well...just my 2c ..good luck!
    Here is just one supplier as an example...http://www.shattergard.com/blastgard.html

17. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    In one hour. I will mention frag film. Thank you

18. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    #43 bundas, Nov 6, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    Too expensive and needs maintance. Installation more costly. Just spoke to the frag glass company. Cost not the issue. The product will not be strong enough for my needs. I require 8' 2x4 at 120mph to bounce off. Guess that is why the bid is expensive.

19. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    This seems like a Hurricane Area glass spec. Is your local building code requiring this much margin of protection?

20. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    no requirement on glass except roof shatter code. this area has rare serious winds. and I remember sitting on my farm watching a BIG Oak uproot and go over the house. that was 1974. we had 100 tornados that one night. hard to forget that experience. there have been a few since, mostly wind shear. so this extra cost $40,000 is a safety factor. I can watch the storms without concern. and there is always a basement with foot thick concrete walls, if some one shouts, 'the Russians are coming'. April will make two years since this project started. I never would have dreamed that the delays, stupid stuff, fraud and just gross incompentence would exist at the level I have dealt with over this period. still no glass contractor. I got my first real bid today. architect had a bid of $112,000, but I could never get a call back from them. so a month ago I met with three others. bid today $200.000. I was told that if I paid 1/2 now the job would be finished in March. damn. that is just the glass. there is a ton of stuff to do after the glass. I wrote checks for $40,000 today for contractor % and concrete work. there was a small Ferrari bill in the pile for the 365 motor repair. so next week, my non existent bank account will have to get a loan, not good, but a temporary problem.

21. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Have you ever thought about selling off most of the 34 cars, and getting a nice $100k garage with a LaFerrari in it? :D

SoCal to az likes this.
  22. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Project made a little headway. Like the Whore says, 'business cums in spurts'. Concrete guys showed and spent all day cutting three openings through a foot thick steel reinforced wall so I can have a basement size I wanted. Added 700 sq ft. Architect screwed me and I found out after 100 yards of concrete had been poured. The cutters will come back today and cut the corners. Then the 8'x8' slabs that weigh 8,400 pounds will be dropped. They must be cut in half so a crane can lift them out. My contractor is finally doing what he should have. Getting six more bids for the glass. Only one bid, so far. Finance back on track now so I just need glass.

23. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    😳sell a car. Hart attack. Geezer like the old stuff. Even my girl friend is old stuff. All but one car, the 365 is now running. Feels odd to finally have an overwealming choice. First time since 2003 I can get in any car and drive off. Feels great. The 2002 Maserati Spyder with paddle shift is my newest car except for a new Dodge that sits. I have driven to twice this year. I just do not find the new cars interesting enough. But I have other mental issues as well. Heavy rain coming today. If and if seems to be my word this year. The steel workers will put the beams and decking in by Friday. That will allow the concrete floor pour. A mile stone.

24. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    You do have a valid point.

25. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    #50 bundas, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Back and worked all day 😄 They finished cutting holes in a 1' thick steel reinforced wall. I have an impressive stack of 2-3 ton slabs. Side ways again. 😩 I am excited that something is done. With a holiday this week I expect nothing else.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login