550 AC refrigerant sight glass | FerrariChat

550 AC refrigerant sight glass

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by cwwhk, Sep 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Does 550 AC system have a sight glass to check refrigerant presence?

If yes, where is it?

My AC is not working. Can hear the AC clutch coming on/off. So just want to make sure the refrigerant hasn't leaked out before I take car to repair shop.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
    Wayne

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Cooling will only happen in a pretty narrow range of freon charge. A sight glass is just not a good way to judge that. If the clutch can be heard it has freon, that much is already known.

Compressor leakage is so common on those there is a very high probability it is low.

3. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Thanks Brian. Will send car to shop.

Regards,
    Wayne

4. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    The sight glass is on top of the dryer. The dryer is located far down on the right side of the engine bay, just behind the headlight.

If the clutch comes in and out, then the coolant is neither low or high. A pressure switch is located at the dryer, which cuts out the clutch if the pressure is below 2 bar and above 20 or 25 bar (I do not recall the correct value for the upper cut-out ad hoc).

So, the coolant seems to be present. The compressor may still be tight, but nevertheless in bad condition. This can be tested by observation of the system pressure, when the system comes in and out. E.g. slow pressure drop will indicate a bad compressor. Best will be to have a air-con shop look at it.

I am presently finding out, which Fiat compressor may be used in the 550 instead of the Ferrari part. I know that the compressor in the Enzo (costs about 2000.--) is the same as a Fiat part, with exception of the pulley and a bracket. The latter two rarely break ;) and can be switched. The Fiat part is around 200.-- to 300.-- ....

5. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Interested to hear what you find out on the compressor interchange...especially for 456/550/575...

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not true.

It is quite common for there to be insufficient Freon to cool yet enough to trip the pressure switch.

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Good luck. Many have tried.

No need to replace in any event. Resealing or rebuilding is very cost effective and is a service offered by many businesses coast to coast.

8. stevegtsi

stevegtsi Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2004
    i do not believe that there is an interchange. the problem is the mounting locations, from what i have been told.

9. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Thanks for everyone's input. Shop confirmed compressor is leaking. New one cost over US$3,000 so will have it rebuilt.

Searched the archives for name of rebuilder in US. Name of Polar Bear comes up. Any other good rebuilders in the US?

I'm located in Hong Kong, so I doubt any local shop can rebuild the compressor correctly here.

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I have had 6 ferraris and the best of the worst ac systems has been the 550. Still they suck. They all seem to leak. Ferrari needs lessons from the Japanese. Your best friend is your ac manifold gauge set. It will help you diagnose the system. Putting a vacuum on the system is a first step to system charging to even see if you have a capable system. Everything else is guessing.

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The A/C compressors that leak like there is no tomorrow are Japanese.

So are the POS alternators they use.

12. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Our Nissan dealership has very few compressor failures.

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Maybe that is because not all Japanese compressors are bad? Don't recall reading that anywhere anyway.

I have no idea what Nissan uses but the compressor brand and type used by Ferrari is used in many other cars and the rebuild shops have them stacked up waiting to be resealed. Well known issue to the A/C industry.

Being manufactured in Japan does not equate to being perfect any more than it equates to being junk but some still cling to both beliefs.

14. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014