575M FHP Dealer Retro Fit | Page 2 | FerrariChat

575M FHP Dealer Retro Fit

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 635CSI, Oct 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Glad you liked my suggestion Graham, MModena are first rate. Family run business. Makes all the difference. Stephen

2. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Hello Stephen and thanks.
    1st real drive tonight, and the difference is huge. You just feel far more confident and far more connected, to the car and to the road. How much of this is due to the new hardaware, the springs and sway bar, and how much is due to the software , shock and steering ECUs , I don't really know. The sacrifice of ride comfort seems quite low in comparison to the rewards. I have had German cars (964 RS/M Coupe) that were far worse in the city or over bad roads yet less inspiring at speed on anything but glass like roads. I also find that I alternate between normal and sport modes more than before, with the old set up I used sport pretty much all the time out of town. One funny thing though..I was on a long sweeping bend on the M40 (3 lanes and I'm in the middle) trying to feel out how the car was responding on semi cold tyres only to be overtaken by an Audi Q7 doing about 120, 130 mph. Only computers were stopping that tall car flipping and i bet the driver was on his/her phone with no impression of how fast they were going or any connection with the road at all. Different worlds !

3. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Hi Terry, I just wanted to say I'm glad you're back.

Not because of the information you supply, just know that everything is okay with you and your wife !

Cheers,

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bill- Thanks, we are both fine. Lots of fly fishing this summer to recharge our batteries.

5. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    :)

6. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    More driving at a weekend.

I’m no journalist and I’m finding it quite hard to express in words these not easily quantifiable changes, particularly without resorting to cliché.
    For example: Yes, “ the steering is more alive”, the feedback one gets through the steering wheel is noticably greater than before. It is more sensitive to road surface and camber. The car is quicker to turn in and feels more assured through a bend.
    The car “feels smaller” which I guess is a factor of its ability to change direction rapidly, though I suspect it’s also a factor of me doing more time in a car which is physically not small and has the steering wheel on the “wrong side”.
    The car “feels safer” actually this is a big improvement, the increased connection to the road inspires more confidence, which encourages faster cornering, possibly therefore making it less safe if one get carried away.
    The much complained about porpoising (is that even a word) is absent, I suspect this was largely a result of changing the shock ECU and former rear springs.
    Comfort has not really been sacrificed any meaningful way, this is still a GT car rather than a racer, that suits my real world driving life.
    The lower ride height did result in the lowest point at the front, the number plate holder hitting a speed bump and ejecting the number plate. The holder and plate are now re-united, there is a little scuffing to the former.

Sorry for the lack of better descriptive powers and real technical knowhow , so perhaps instead I should turn to analogy:

You are married to Monica Bellucci, you are happy and suspect you may have won life’s lottery.
    Weirdly (given your relative desirability, her a goddess you a middle aged bald bloke ) she thinks that you are tiring of classical Italian beauty.
    Perhaps she has been following the 575 v 599 F’chat poll and feels unnecessarily concerned about the attraction younger models?
    She reacts by heading to the gym/Pilates/yoga studio. Now she is taut and toned, full of life and responsive to you and ..
    Actually I’d better stop right there.

Would I advise owners of early 575s seeking firmer handling to go down this route? Yes I think so it wasn’t cheap but preservation of re-sale value was partially in mind when I decided to go the Ferrari main dealer, OEM parts route.
    I expect soon, if reports are correct that MSW have a FHP equivalent rear roll bar on the way you could create the same effect using aftermarket parts for less money.

If I had more time to dedicate to the project I think it would have been interesting take a gradualist approach to try and separate the effects of the electronic from the mechanical. First just to do the shock ECU upgrade, and drive the car on standard suspension.
    Then maybe add the steering ECU, then finally the whole kit.

Anyway I hope this thread has been helpful to the community, If I get on a track I may have more to say.

7. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    With a 2002 575 I have done this in stages, and this is just one opinion.
    The ECU's changes improve the driving experience approximately 35%, the hard parts (springs and rear sway bar) the other 65%.
    Will add that I am finding the HGTC combination slightly firmer than FHP on a 575. Not saying that HGTC is better, just firmer. The decision as to which is better will be to individual taste.
    Bill
    FL

8. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Interesting Bill , the electronics are probably just under 30% of the upgrade price.

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    What we have generally recommended here, when the parts were available and cheap, was to change parts in this order and see how you like the result, then proceed:

1 FHP steering ECU
    2 Better shock ECU (201673, 201674, 205618, 205619)
    3 Rear anti-roll bar (FHP then until NLA, then HGTC)
    4 Springs (FHP then until NLA, then HGTC)

Please note, too, that there is quite an improvement just using the FHP (Race) suspension settings (or HGTC now) with no other changes. Not sure anyone has tried that.

There is now a German company offering FHP aftermarket springs and anti-roll bar for ~2000 euros. They are in contact with John Cribb to see if they can add the MSW hydraulic steering ECU to the kit.

10. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Do you have contact info for the company?

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No, but John Cribb does. I sent them a PM on the other forum, so will post the info when I get it, unless John provides it first. They and John have conversed on FHP kits. Will work for 550s or 575Ms. Same part numbers for both models.

Note my assumption on the recommended shock ECU changes assumed an early, pre-52556 575M from Nov 2003 or earlier.

12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Graham, really interesting account. And better written than many journalists..Monica Belucci, now you're talking very GQ.
    Sounds like 575 handling can come, officially, on a spectrum from very GT to very race and everything in between. Is there another Ferrari like that? Is the difference between the WET + Bumpy Road setting and the RACE setting on a F12 (you aren't allowed bumpy road with that) as big as early 575 to HGTC? Subjectively I don't think so.
    That's not a criticism - it means 575 sounds like it can be a car for every taste and preference.

13. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Hey, remember now; no question is a stupid question

FHP = Fiorano Handling Pak (package)
    HGTC = ??

as described in thread, the later "system" is an improvement (evolution) so can understand a need to differentiate

Jack

14. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    #39 gsjohnson, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Very Nice GS! And that is an unobtanium 21 mm rear bar. You will enjoy it.
    Bill
    FL

16. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Bill-Thanks for all of your advice and encouragement with this acquisition.

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Midnight acquisition is likely the only way to find an FHP bar, now.

GS- You should have turned the spring so folks could see the other part number, or was it just on a paper tag, like mine?

18. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Exactly Taz...only the brass tag and pink color daubs on the other pair.

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips