Dead battery | FerrariChat

Dead battery

Discussion in '360/430' started by Forcefed, Oct 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Forcefed

Forcefed Karting

Aug 14, 2009
    United Arab Emirates
    Hello everyone.

I have searched this issue and most threads discuss which replacement battery to buy. I have a 2009 Scuderia that hasnt been driven for over 8 months. The battery is completely dead. The issue I am having is I cant get the doors to open so that I can get to the battery to replace it. I can turn the key manually (driver side) and I can feel it unlocking but I cant open the door. I am assuming I cant open the door because the window isnt dropping down a bit to clear the weather strip. I tried to push down on the window with one hand and pull on the door handle with the other still no go.

any advice or help is appreciated.

2. danny_acs

danny_acs Karting

Aug 17, 2015
    London, UK
    Maybe the rubber got stuck. Will have to pull harder I'm afraid as I don't know another way..

3. ph12

ph12 Karting

Jun 28, 2015
    Los Angeles
    It probably doesnt have anything to do with the battery. The handle mechanism is control by a cable. That cable rust over time. Once it does you cant open the door. Its a pain in the ass but basically you need to disaseemble the door panel and replace a $85 cable that probably cost $5 to make.

How do you get in with the door closed? I dont know if you could..

4. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    Scud does not have passenger side key hole?

5. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    #5 blackbolt22, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    Ugh. What a dilemma. I would call the dealer. Good luck.

6. Forcefed

Forcefed Karting

Aug 14, 2009
    United Arab Emirates
    no the scud doesn't have a passenger side key hole. I just left it alone for the time being. will update you once figured out.

7. treue

treue Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Tom Treue
    FF,

The door window inserts about a centimeter into the upper rubber seal at the top of the window. Unfortunately, the rubber gasket is made rigid by a piece of metal trim that is inserted into a groove in the outside of the gasket. This is why the door cannot be opened without breaking the glass, absent the window drop. Until this trim is removed, the gasket cannot be moved out of the way to allow the window, and thus the door, to swing open.

You can try to remove the trim strip yourself, but, not having done it myself, I cannot predict how well or easily this will work. I think that damage of the trim strip in removal, absent previous experience, would be likely. Of course, a new trim strip could be purchased and installed after you correct your problems.

You could always be a sissy and get a body shop guy to visit your car (assuming the car is in gear or has the parking brake set) to correct the problems.

Also, suggest you keep the car on a battery tender in the future to prevent a repeat of this little scenario.

Tom
    2007 F430F1 Coupé

8. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Is it possible to remove the rear under tray and put 12v cables to the starter connection to reverse power the car just to allow the window to drop?

9. treue

treue Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Tom Treue
    #9 treue, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    PS FF,

I looked at the 430 Workshop Manual, Section M2.10, and it said the trim strip along the outside of the upper window seal was held on with several screws. I verified this on my own car. You have to pull the seal out from below and beneath the trim strip to expose the screws. After the trim strip is out the seal should flex out of the way allowing the window and door to swing open.

Having said all of the above, I think Fred might have a point. There is a big, fat hot wire going to the starter and you can ground on the starter motor body. All you need is a 12VDC source, like the new battery you will be installing in the car when you can get the car open, and that should allow the window to drop for easy access to the old battery.

Tom
    2007 F430F1 Coupé
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    My S mbz decided to lock me out one day because the battery was dead. That is how the tech got the trunk opened to allow a new battery to be installed

11. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    8 months? Scud abuser.

Most likely the seal is stuck to the window - you will need to separate it with a make your own tool, small piece of wire hanger is ok if your careful not to damage the seal or window, something thin, plastic with a sharp 90 bend is better.
    you can carefully pull the door open a bit if the key unlocked it, while pushing slightly on the top rear of the window, the door should open about 1/4-1/2", push the rear top window into the seal while pulling the door open with your finger tips (not with the flimsy door handle that will break). Slow and careful, it will open without power and you wont break anything.

12. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    To the Op: Can you give us an update on how you managed to open the doors to enable a battery change?