Mang's Garage | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Mang's Garage

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Mang, May 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Your pictures, indeed the whole thread, is great! Thanks!

2. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Amazing place Mang!! Thanks for sharing pics.

3. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    Awesome garage. Awesome location. Awesome cars. You have the correct amount of horizontally opposed engines that one should have.

4. V8ray

V8ray Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Awesome cabin!
    Enjoy

5. New Image

New Image Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 18, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Full Name:
    Kody Keuter
    Unbeliveable garage and home!

-Kody-

6. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #106 Mang, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Looks great, Mang! It really did turn out well. Those stairs are so cool.

8. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #108 Mang, Jun 6, 2015
    It's been a few years now in this magical place and life here is just sweet. I will bombard with photos soon, as I have continued to do lots to the evolution of this space. I am involved in two project presently that sort of go together and here is how...

behind this cabin was 20 years of un attended to 'slough'...a beautiful sandstone cliff was half covered in brown dirt that had slid down over the years and rested against the back of the house = not good, but really did no damage so all ok. My plan is to park a shipping container next to the cabin, more parking for collector cars :D and storage and I like the look, especially next to this cabin. My excavation contractor friend told me to get all the dirt out from behind, put it where his loader can get it and he could use it for a project...I shoveled by myself for two weeks, 60 tons of dirt, not a typo, sixty. I'm kooky this way, I farmed rocks out of the dirt too, and hand massaged the sandstone cliff and removed roots as I descended down, man's work!

...project #2 is the Cal Neva (famous because once owned by Frank Sinatra and hangout of the rat pack, Marilyn Monroe, the important Kennedy's, etc.) is undergoing a multi-year renovation. It's in my 'hood. There was a famous 'Indian Room' there that housed Washoe Indian tribe 'stuff', really sweet big old wood room that had the fireplace - half in California, half in Nevada (if anyone's been there?). On the outside of the Indian Room was the only portion of the resort that had the original 1938 applied Cedar bark siding. I approached the folks doing the renovation a year ago and asked about the siding. I stayed with it for months and months and was informed Thursday that I could have it, come and get it. I hired a crew and spent all morning tearing down piece by piece this exquisite cedar siding...it's 3" thick milled and fully cured wood at 80+ years old. It will go completely around my garage/level, the area still to do. Here are some photos of the dirt project and of the crew today removing this storied building's siding. It is all piled in front of my house right now, soon to go up. So dirt finally out of the way and house ready for the ultimate siding!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #109 Mang, Jun 6, 2015
    one nice shot of the place for now...changes you might notice and will show more detail later...salvaged steel stairs with mesh treads have replaced the old wood relics, every stone you see in the photo was farmed out of the earth and put there my me, set in dirt/natural sand, no concrete. I created the address post out of salvaged steel, and all the native plants have received trimming and 'love' and are exploding green this spring after being dead looking brown for 20 years. Its an oasis now compared to 3 years ago when I started this place.

we are in the midst of a drought and this past winter I spent nearly every day working this land. All dead removed from trees, retaining walls built into hills, boulders and rocks and walkways made from natural stones, I have not hired labor, just got into the zen of creating and doing serious muscular WORK!

10. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Looking really good, Mang! Awesome to see you save that siding. I have several shelves built in my house out of barn siding that is over 100 years old. The outside is looking really good as well. Keep it up.

11. aseweepay

aseweepay Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2004
    Mid-West
    Looks great, Mike....glad to see this thread come alive again....

12. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #112 Mang, Jun 21, 2015
    some photos that show where the 70 tons of dirt came from, now the area is holding the cedar siding, the barnwood is drying out, I spent today stacking it, prepping, cleaning...all this going on after wrapping around the corner with another 18" or so of corrugated steel, then barnwood stud, then bark siding all the way around.

Inside the garage, a clean mess. :D German side, business like - work area, projects, etc...the Italian side, artsy - automobilia, art, car library, etc.

shot of the 'green' explosion going on, it's like a jungle around the cabin now, natural canopy over the stone entry is really nice. Im a little over 6 feet tall and the branches are a good foot overhead.

13. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #113 Mang, Sep 15, 2015
    ...back rolling again, year four of a tiny cabin remodel, but patience has been worth it. I hope this thread is still of interest. Here are photos of the area where all that dirt was removed and the cedar bark siding from the resort are now up on my cabin. We are nearly done. The back of the place is being clad in corrugated steel, non galvanized, rusts beautifully, and more barnwood, and transitions with the bark as well...all designed by me :)

the bark siding is going up next under the eaves on the front of the house - all the way up, both sides...then a shipping container goes where the material is scattered - more parking for 'fly' rides inside! :D

14. ronmg

ronmg Karting

Oct 14, 2009
    Duh Moines
    Full Name:
    Ron Foote
    Wonderful! Reminds me of Colorado. I rented a cabin in the foothills till it just got to far to drive into Denver.

Ron

15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Mike very interesting to see all you have created there. Glad the thread is still going.
    I missed the part where the 930 didn't sell after all??? Same 930, right?

16. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Same 930.

of2worlds likes this.
  17. spdrcr

spdrcr Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    What an amazing remodel project. I'm really glad this thread was revived. Beautiful place!

18. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    Very nicely done!!

That siding is amazing!!

19. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    So awesome just found this thread glad it is alive again. Memories, I used to spend every summer at my Uncles/Aunts place down there ... Tahoe Tavern Properties in Tahoe city, loved crossing that bridge. What the hell did they used to call it, some reference to all the butts ;) that my friend is a beautiful part of the world, so enjoy yourself and keep building.
    Oh ... and drive those cars.

20. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #120 Mang, Sep 24, 2015
    Mahalos for the positive props amigos...I'm excited to be wrapping up the main remodel with this siding and material going up. The back of the cabin is nearly finished, and the final work to be done is continuing with the bark siding under the eaves on the front of the house. The first photo shows what it looks like, we have completed about 10 feet...

the bridge in Tahoe City is 'Fannie Bridge'...always like sharing that name with my British friends :D

21. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Looking real good!

22. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #122 Mang, Oct 17, 2015
    So many cool garages being conceptualized and built by forum members. I hope this thread motivates others to share their builds, I think the man-cave builds are as bitschun as car builds.

We are rained out today as I hoped to continue finishing up mine before El Nino strikes - as heavily predicted. Im watching weather closely as I do intend to get mine pretty much done in the next weeks. Here is where it is at...

Main house finally finished, see back, front, entry stairs. The reason for what turned into a 6 month project (the dig, siding, grading) was to add a shipping container, but after careful consideration, they are just too big. So I dug around and found gold again on Craigslist. This small building, insulated, electrical, finished, etc. was used as an external office. I didnt get pictures of me and the flatbed driver shoehorning it into the space you see it in. It was no picnic. I couldn't snap photos because I was lodging my body between house and shed to save house, lol. No joke. As it is took out the corner of the roof, but ez repair.

Immediately we have torn the place down and rebuilding IT as a solid, steel roofed, barnwood look, EXTERNAL GARAGE - MORE GARAGE!!!!! :D

I am going to address the snowload crash potential quickly, don't worry, going to erect some sort of sloping slide for the snowload, not sure exactly how and where yet. There is a panoramic lake view from front and side window and door inside the building too.

The inside dimensions of this little external pimp pad are Porsche perfect. I have ramps that match the stair treads - going to slide out from under the building like a towtruck, little details make all the difference. :)

The front of the building is hiding a secret. The french doors are 'grafted' custom into the barnwood and the entire front of the building swings open at each edge (for ease in driving cars in and out), but looks like normal doorway. Fun creating all of this, my goal is the ultimate car-guy home, plenty of parking for cars. Under the cover you see is my next project, my own build of a SWB 912, I'll probably keep that going right here...

The rest of the building will be cloaked in corrugated steel for protection and trimmed in remaining barnwood and cedar siding to match house. I also plan more Alfa Romeo door pulls as barn door pulls. I've used them as kitchen cabinet handles, patio furniture handles, and they will look car cool on the shed too. Also considering remote control motorized gate openers on those doors. All finished when I've put up an old barngate in front of building, down low so not going to block that beautiful structure or block view from inside. I am then going to finally lay down all those gathered stones into a driveway to match the other side of the place and we will see where we go from there...

23. ronmg

ronmg Karting

Oct 14, 2009
    Duh Moines
    Full Name:
    Ron Foote
    I'm loving watching you do all this.

Best of luck,

Ron

24. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    No snow skis in the garage ?

25. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    This is really super. I love how you have put all the native materials to work in the place (they work together really well) and how you have "Craigslisted" so much of the place!

BUT . . .

If this indeed is going to be the perfect man-cave . . .

don't you really need a convenient place somewhere to park your jet? :) :) :)