Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918 | Page 721 | FerrariChat

Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by mpowered, Nov 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 85886

85886 Karting

Feb 22, 2012
  2. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
  3. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
  4. 85886

85886 Karting

Feb 22, 2012
    So what would we expect on equal tires?
    Order inverted is my guess since the times are within 0.34 s

5. 85886

85886 Karting

Feb 22, 2012
    So what would we expect on equal tires?
    Order inverted is my guess since the times are within 0.34 s

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Why put the P1 on Trofeo R (I assume the other 2 were on P zero or equivalent)?

7. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    There's nothing to post in this thread. The cars are old and nothing to talk about otherwise. I don't post in the Enzo vs CGT thread either...

8. supermafy

supermafy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2013
    Rome (it)
    Win win win!!

9. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Because it comes with them. It's like saying why put the WP on the 918...

10. supermafy

supermafy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2013
    Rome (it)
    But with WP you can go back home when wet...
    P1 comes with Corsa , and TrofeoR, according with Pirelli, are race tires

11. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Can you go back home in snow with WP?

Sheesh. It's a tire option from McLaren and they are road legal. And yes, you can drive them in wet just fine so long as you drive a little more carefully and a little slower. You act like the car won't start in the rain if you have Trofeos...

12. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    There hasn't been anything interesting on this thread in a loooong time

13. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    For the sake of this comparo, they should have done laps for the P1 with the Trofeo and the Corsa.

14. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    #18014 Garretto, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    If we were new in town this could be OK but now we know too much about supercar comparisons and tire differences. So the test is somewhat flawed because of the Trofeo Rs.

Being able to order the P1 with the trofeos is not equivalent to equipping the 918 with the Weissach Pack, as I see it. More like sitting a faster driver in the P1. Not inherent to the car but a circumstance.

Must say though that they're all three unbelievably damn close! Not sure a 2nd track day would have the same results.

15. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I was expecting that the Porsche would be faster, as it has been faster almost anywhere so far, but they are very close. Taking into consideration the slight differences in track temperature, we could say that it was a draw.

Yet, not wanting to start a war again, but the McLaren, with that ride height, those tyres... you know...

16. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    well that video settles it for me. nothing left to discuss as test method was as close to perfect as possible. drag race will be amazing too, im sure. would have like a better discussion by the driver though. didn't really tell us his opinion much. top gear will be better at that im sure

my personal ranking still hasn't changed. laf, 918, and p1 in that order for me because laf has best looks and sound, 918 is most practical and I like open top, mac is my personal last but still love it too

17. Westview

Westview Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2014
    It is not at all the same. The 918 WP option is fully street compliant car that many of the 918 owners have requested and drive right off the dealer's lot and onto a track. To be honest, I don't think there is a great deal of performance difference between the non WP and the WP car. But the magnesium wheels sure look a lot better than the standard ones.

On the other hand, please show me a P1 driver that uses Trofeos as their daily drive tire. They don't - they save them for track days as per Pirelli instructions.

Here is the link to Pirelli Trofeo R website - it is very clear that these tires are meant for dry track only, with just enough tread to allow them to be driven home.

P ZERO TROFEO R, Motorsport tyres - Car Tyres, Motorcycle Tyres, Truck Tyres, Motorsport tyres - PIRELLI INTERNATIONAL

I think that is why both Porsche and McLaren were surprised with the results at Laguna Seca - even with the p1 on track tires, the Porsche beat it.

18. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Not true I use trofeos as my regular tire they're just fine. About the same road feel/handling as the tires that came on my challenge stradale to be honest. 2 other friends also run trofeos. They have more road noise and require a little a warm up but otherwise they're fine. True race tires are not street legal. My car is going back to the factory to be fitted with 19" hubs so I can run proper slicks for real race days.

19. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #18019 noone1, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    You have no idea what you're talking about.

Half the stuff you own probably has liability disclaimers that aren't entirely based in reality. Don't use ever see labels that say things like "don't operate while..." or "allow this to... before you..." ? 99% of the time you probably don't even pay attention to these things and 98% of the time you can in fact do these things so long as you're careful.

You can run Trofeo Rs just fine in adverse conditions so long as you drive a bit slower and more carefully. I've ran worn down R888s in the dead of winter, way below the disclaimer temperatures and they were fine. I've rain them in super heavy rain and all I had to do was drive slower.

Trofeo Rs are street legal, hence it is a fully street compliant option. End of discussion.

20. xku807

xku807 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    John
    Actually surprised the Laf can stay with the P1 on this track despite LaF road bias and the P1's track oriented tires. It's clear that shod with same tires, the P1 will finish behind the LaF, notwithstanding the P1's adjustable ride height.

21. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    The video stated mac had pirelli corsa and other 2 had mpsc2. No mention of trofeos so I dont understand what this conversation is about

22. xybyx

xybyx Rookie

Dec 10, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    #18022 xybyx, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    From 1:07 of the video, it was clearly Trofeo R
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Basically the video didn't settle anything.

24. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    LOL. What do you want? A mathematical proof of which car is best?

25. supermafy

supermafy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2013
    Rome (it)
    Yes because , for sure, almost all 918 WP are in Siberia....