Challenge club racing as a reality series... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Challenge club racing as a reality series...

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Dr_ferrari, Sep 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #26 johnhoughtaling, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. RotarySwingGolf

RotarySwingGolf Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2011
    Florida and Idaho
    How many? Looks like about half that showed and 5 of those got wrecked

3. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    are you talking about Lime Rock? I am sure they had all 10 cars. Or are you talking about COTA?

4. RotarySwingGolf

RotarySwingGolf Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2011
    Florida and Idaho
  5. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    they only had 14 cars? How do you know this? Were you competing?

6. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #31 johnhoughtaling, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    For those that were there, that information is incorrect. Out of the 28 cars registered, we have 20 at COTA this weekend. FNA had a last minute date change and that was rescheduled for this weekend at Nola. This conflict meant two of our dealer teams were at the late date unable to support their drivers for out event (7 cars. 1 withdrew after an adverse penalty ruling).

We had some contact with two two pairs of cars in our race. One was moderate which spun the cars. The offending driver got a 13/13. The other was minor. That offending driver got a 13/13, even though it was minor. Lance's car caught fire a short time later. Why is under investigation as it is rare. That said the rest of the race was without incident.

That said we are not tolerating any contact (even though people like to argue that things are racing incidences). To me keeping a "no contact" rule and doing everything to avoid and minimize it, is the most important thing about the CCR concept, and anyone who knows the series knows that's the reason it was founded. I am sick of the competitive attitude that leads to contact and we are working hard to pull these weeds in the series. It is important that we keep racing clean, and safe and preserve and enjoy the Ferrari race cars with drivers with good attitudes, where competition and no contact is valued above competition. I've banned for violation of this spirit and no doubt there will be others. we've hosted 60 races so far and Id put our record against any series anywhere on this.

For those eligible Gentlemen racers, the following is our 2016 calendar for next year:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Great schedule John with all signature tracks!

8. Lcawley

Lcawley Karting

Nov 16, 2011
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Lance C. Cawley
    #33 Lcawley, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    John, I support you in the no contact, stop the too competitive crap at CCR. I really enjoy being with everybody at the track and look forward to next year with CCR.

9. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    What happened to your car Lance?

10. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Big thumbs up for this.

11. Lcawley

Lcawley Karting

Nov 16, 2011
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Lance C. Cawley
    In regard to my car catching on fire, what is important is that I had triple layer fire protection, operating Fire suppression, and was really well trained and had practiced emergency exit procedure which I can do in 14 seconds. Don't wish the real event on anybody, but when it happens, I did not panic and got out safely. I am perfectly fine! I can buy another car.

Except for learning what caused the fire and how we can prevent it in the future, I am going to attribute it to bad luck. It seemed to be an F1 oil line that started it and one thought is putting in an extra fire bottle with a nosel pointing at it or maybe some more protection. This has happened before with this model car, but is extremely rare. The F1 transmission was just one year old. Even if it were caused by the hit, so what, he did mean to hit me and I have been hit before more than once and there was no fire, just freaky event.

Also I should mention that COTA is an extraordinary track and thanks to the quick emergency response. I went to their race control and it looks like NASA, when they took me back to the pit they cut across a hot race track and I asked how do you guys do that and they said that they could see everything.

12. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Lance, glad you're ok and practiced getting out specifically for this purpose. Makes a difference. Yes, COTA is really something!

13. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Two thumbs up for this. Having been involved with MANY "no-contact" series, the culture sets the tone and you ALWAYS attract more participants when organizers "walk the talk."

I have attended MANY racing events that featured extraordinarily close and competitive racing, but with EACH competitor involved leaving SOME margins for error/"**** happening," and doing so successfully, year after year.

It is a fact that more incidents are occurring, both in regulated and non-regulated competition. By reiterating and implementing the desired culture, which the majority clearly buy into, this trend can be not only limited, but reversed.

Competition does not automatically involve contact. One of the last bastions of personal responsibility is behind the wheel in a competitive event. You ARE responsible for what happens...

Thank you, John! This is the right path.

14. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Thanks Peter to you and the other experts that have helped is prove all these years that we can continue the success.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    talking about the reality series, I thought it was terrible idea in 2010 and would be today. unless it was done by one of the racers or someone on "our team" it would paint an awful picture of us for entertainment value. the story line would be a bunch of rich ***** untalented racers turning money into noise while partaking in wild women and self medication. I think the show would be a huge success, but at our cost!

16. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Just think what the Porsche guys would think!

17. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
  18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    most racing series, even pro have to pay to get covered and on TV. heck, SCCA had to work special deal with Speed TV to get them covering the Runoffs. I think Runoffs are just on the internet now. Ferrari Challenge series use to be on TV, but I'm sure Ferrari paid for that too. When pushing for sponsors sure helps the sell when series is on TV, but honestly I don't know how many really watch.

19. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    When I raced Runoffs at Daytona 2 weeks ago my wife watched from California. I think it was live on SCCA'a website. I think you can go there and watch them right now. Best race was HP. Top 3 finished in close racing with no one crossing the finishline front wheels first!

20. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Lamborghini/Audi most likely subsidizes the TV coverage. In dirt track racing the track pays the drivers. The track advertises locally and makes money from the spectators.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    interesting the tournament bass fishing I do now, even the tournaments that aren't all pro, 80% of the entry fees go towards winnings. it is basically skilled gambling, everyone puts in the pot and house takes their cut. some skillful guys end up making good money at it while others just donate.

22. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Very cool - what class do you run in if I may ask?