Ferrari OCD | FerrariChat

Ferrari OCD

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by SCFerrari, Sep 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I'm guilty of being OCD on my cars - how about you?

I'll start - Here's two signs that are just the tip of the iceberg -

1. I leave the dealer plastic on the floor mats to keep them new and have the dealer replace the plastic with new plastic when it gets it's annual service

2. I don't press the reverse button in the center of the button in fear of wearing out the "R" printed on the button.

There - I said it - that's the first step in the healing process, right?!

Any other examples?!

2. txitalia

txitalia Formula Junior

May 5, 2013
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Frank
    In our shop we despise the term OCD. We prefer the term OCT.

We consider it a Talent, NOT a Disorder!

3. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    I subscribed to this thread (first time I've done that) in hopes of picking up some tips. So it's pretty clear that I fall into the same category. I do like the idea of looking at it as a talent though-- it does seem more like a skill than a disorder to me. :D

4. txitalia

txitalia Formula Junior

May 5, 2013
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well, I have to admit, the 'plastic thing' is a bit much. I understand where you're coming from. I'm always torn between the 'enthusiast' side of ownership and the 'show' side.

The enthusiast wants to DRIVE the car. The show wants to keep her PERFECT!

I just took delivery of a 2015 Huracan. Been in my shop for two weeks. Haven't driven her yet. Just did an alignment on her this weekend. Yes it was off. Went to check the torque spec on the wheels. The T80 Torx socket was missing (Grrr!).

Not getting driven til wheels are torqued, clear bra installed (premium shield, not that expel junk) on all the right places, and both types of window film (clear crystalline on windshield, proper tint on the rest).

So, although I want to 'keep her perfect' I'm still gonna drive her!

5. cs s60

cs s60 Karting

May 16, 2005
    PA
    No Ferrari, but on my Zo6,
    - I do the same with the dash/ console buttons too.
    - I don't use Armor All alot, but when I do I have to move the car twice to dress the wheel wells. That way I can turn the wheels and get the whole wheel well evenly, and I don't like to move the steering wheel without the car rolling at least a little bit.

6. Jsf721

Jsf721 Karting

May 15, 2015
    I am OCD mostly about where I park. A door dent would drive me crazy as would a repaint.

As far a using the car, I am a detailing geek and I can clean, polish and de-stain most surfaces inside and out. I UV protect all exposed materials. If I wear out a button, I will replace it.

Enjoy your car or put it in a glass case. I'm all for taking care of it, detailing it and coating it but all your doing is taking care of it for the next guy. Unless you have a 1/XX car enjoy it.

If you had a super model wife would you not partake every chance you got?

7. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Rust anxiety: If I park overnight outside and with no cover on I put that blue painters tape on both doors between the window and the top of the door in case it rains. I always have a roll in the trunk.

Take either door panel off of a 308 or gt4 and you'll be doing the same!

8. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    You park outdoors?!?! <Shudder>

BTW, I've seen the inside of 308 door skins, so I know what you mean.

9. SE_Speciale

SE_Speciale Rookie

Sep 19, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I clearly have no OCD compared to you guys :) Using my Speciale as it is, a car meant to be driven, everyday all year round. I'll even put it in a machine car wash.

And yes, the paint job has seen better days and it has a lot of small dents. But that's life, I'm enjoying the full of it :)

10. Jsf721

Jsf721 Karting

May 15, 2015
    Awesome.

11. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    ..I always count how many seconds the F1 pump primes when I open the door on my 360 (~11sec).