Mondials For Sale | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Mondials For Sale

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 123howie, May 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    And re yellow QV Cab with 3.2 bumpers in DFW area, the guy says he doesn't want to sell it, some ferrari "expert" offered him $28K in cash ($3K above asking) but he turned it down, where would he find another for that price blah blah blah. I didn't waste my time going to look, even though I was 5 miles away. It's not a clean title either, it's salvage. And it's not his uncle's car that the uncle has owned forever which is the story I was initially given, this blue then black now yellow car was purchased a couple of years ago for $19K out of Iowa (where the seller, an autobody guy, repaired a pretty heavy front end collision) and has not been retitled since.

2. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #202 MvT, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Now it is starting to get crazy.. :) If this gets sold for 55k I will eat my shoe. But then again OF is always targeting a bit high on the price, which is understandable. Often they have real beauties for sale. In IMHO this one is not, but then again this one has a toolset, which often is missing
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I looked at a lot of cars that were previously owned by the sellers "uncle" when I was searching for my Mondial. Must be a common ruse used to cover up bad stuff.

Alden

4. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    I hadn't realized that this car was in Austin. Interesting. I think the seller summed it up very succinctly in his ad with this line: "a very expensive paperweight". I would be willing to bet that he didn't pay much more than the $19K that he's asking for the car when he bought it a couple of years ago. It looks like it was advertised in LA in 2013 for $23,500.

2cam

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    this is correct. I was in contact with the guy who sold the car from Iowa a couple years ago

6. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    We may think this is a crazy price, but imagine same time next year...

Anyhow, the guys from OTF agreed on the price which is set by the private seller and since I have done business with OTF before, I know they believe this really may get sold at this price level.

7. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    #207 Russ Gould, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    IMHO blue QV is a parts car for the simple reason that parting it out will likely generate more $ (maybe as much as $20K) than one would net fixing it up for sale as a running car (it could easily suck up $15K to bring $30K and a lot of gray hair). A third option would be to part out the motor/transaxle and then put an LS motor in a longitudinal layout for some real grunt.

8. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    I see the red T coupe on Ebay sold at around $35K ... I looked at this car and while the cosmetics were decent I did not bid because the engine oil had metal flakes in it ..... header tank dry as a bone and corroded .... ABS light acting up ... general mechanical neglect ... whoever bought it is going to pay for it twice.

9. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Perhaps a Hemi, rather than an LS would sort-of-work?

As FCA owns both Chrysler and Ferrari (for the moment), you could almost say that it still has a Ferrari engine!

Another option - the new Ford GT350 engine with the flat-plane crank. At least the sound would be similar.

In all seriousness - I think I would rather rebuild the current engine (My kid is an ASE Certified mechanic), or swap in another Ferrari 2.9 V8.

Sid

10. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
  11. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    #211 cockrill, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I went to the Italian Car Fest (car show) in Grapevine, TX yesterday and saw a red Mondial 8 with 348 wheels in the parking lot with a for sale sign on it. I took a picture of the car but didn't notice until I look at it just moments ago that I didn't get the phone number in the photo! The car looked to be in pretty good condition.

Anyway, there's a Mondial 8 for sale in the Dallas area that's not on Craigslist or on eBay.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    why must they all be red?

13. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    That is known as resale red.

14. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    Yes but not on a Mondial with the black trim and black bumpers ...

15. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Lots of Ferraris were repainted to red back during the 90's exotic car boom and is typically a "must have" color for first-time buyers.

16. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
  17. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    With a cassette deck no less!

18. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    That does look very nice .. love the black and white combination ..

19. Milkyboy

Milkyboy Karting

Jun 23, 2015
    .... does look nice, didn't meet reserve a few weeks ago, bidding got to about 40k i think. Dealer has dropped the asking price on his site, so if he's dropped his reserve, who knows this time out. Its been in storage for about 8 years if i recall correctly, so will probably need some fettling if the buyer plans to use it.

20. milko1969

milko1969 Formula 3

Feb 21, 2012
    Breda, Holland
    Full Name:
    Milko
    What about this car:

Ferrari Mondial 3.2 4 valvole als Sportwagen/Coupé in Prato - PO

Mondial 3.2 69.000 euro's on mobile.DE

21. Milkyboy

Milkyboy Karting

Jun 23, 2015
    There is a huge variation, with seemingly no logic, to the European prices found on mobile.de and others... its not uncommon to see some cars on for literally double an equivalent spec car. Maybe there are desperate buyers ...trying to get in on a gold rush that may already be over... Who will pay these prices. Or maybe there are some sellers chancing their arm who may be sitting on them for some time.

22. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
  23. Milkyboy

Milkyboy Karting

Jun 23, 2015
    They do seem to expect Brits to pay big for the privilege of rhd. Much rarer obviously but think the guy that bought the other eBay car at auction for 42k and has been asking 79k for it (for some time now) is encouraging some optimistic asking prices. Who knows, they may get them. Having driven lefties in the UK, I can't see a justification for such a premium, but maybe it's just me.

24. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    This was the first (and only) black-bumper Mondial that I have ever seen in red. I've seen 3 shades of blue Mondials with black bumpers, a black one, and a couple of silver ones, but never a red one. When I was car shopping I, too, dismissed the red cars.

Now, having seen a red Mondial with black bumpers, I have to admit that the car looks very good. The Mondial looks more aggressive and sporty in red than in the other colors. I liked it a lot.

25. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    That is a sweet car, but $107k? How much is the F40? In the ad what does the H mean?