Non-metric wheels for 512BBis | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Non-metric wheels for 512BBis

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by speer, Mar 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SLOT RACER

SLOT RACER Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    Westchester Cnty, NY
    Full Name:
    Rich A.
    I spoke with Jonathan to confirm the finish of the wheels and they will be clear coated as the factory did with the originals.

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #127 Newman, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I see a major flaw! They painted the area under the spline drive :)

Seriously though I guess the rims were painted on a fixture that they could spin them on to get full coverage.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Hello everyone. Long time no post.
    It seems like these *could* be the 'droids we're looking for.
    Has anyone come up with a short list of rubber that works to these dimensions and comes very close to both the section height and OD of the originals?

7.5”X 17” ( front ) and 8.5” X 17” ( rear )

4. speer

speer Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    phoenix, az
    Full Name:
    jim speer
    Hello, Buzz. The following information was contained in an April 4, 2013 post I made when diameters of 17" had been adopted and different wheel widths were still being contemplated. The ultimate decision was to use widths of seven and a half and eight and a half. I hope the following information from that post helps you and perhaps others with respect to what research has shown in connection with tires that will work with the wheel sizes that are being produced:

"What would you think of making the widths of the wheels to be manufactured 7 ½ ” front and 8 ½ ” rear? That would allow for the use of tires sized 235/55/17 both front and rear – the same size front and rear just as is done with the stock TRX tires. The measurements of the 235/55/17 tires compare extremely favorably and, indeed, are virtually identical to the stock TRXs we run now. 235/55/17s have a diameter of 27.2”, just like the TRXs, and a cross-section of 9.8”, just like the TRXs. We would accordingly wind up with the same 235/55/17 tires front and rear, which can easily fit on both 7 ½ “ and 8 ½ “ wheels with the added benefit of a large assortment of available manufacturers in that size from Tire Rack or other tire suppliers. At tire rack alone, there are zx speed rated reasonably priced tires from Michelin Pilot Sport, Pirelli P Zero, Goodyear Eagle, Dunlop, Yokohama, Sumitomo, BF Goodrich, Continental, Bridgestones, Kumho and Hankook, perhaps among others, all with almost identical diameters and widths as what we are running now."

5. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Outstanding! Thanks. Indeed, 235/55/17 seems to have great options. I wonder if it was the whole >240 thing that got us into a rut....

6. speer

speer Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    phoenix, az
    Full Name:
    jim speer
    There is about one week remaining to buy the Group 4 wheels at the 2000 pound price for a set of four. Here is an August 4, 2015 message from Group 4:

"Hi all,

Good news at long last!!! Wheels are complete, boxed and ready to be shipped to me from Italy tomorrow, they will be in my possession, middle of next week. Obviously, I will be sending wheels out immediately and will also be sending shipping/tracking details.

This imminent (ggod) news means that there is just a week left to jump on board and get a set of these wheels at the early bird discount price of £2000 instead of £2500 (plus VAT where applicable). Please contact me for further information."

Regards,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Sage, Group 4 Wheels Ltd
    +44 1225 430 502 or +44 7971 988 735 [email protected] group4wheels.com facebook.com/group4wheels

Registered in England No: 8250560
    Registered address: 141 Englishcombe Lane, Bath BA2 2EL
    VAT No: GB144346814

I have no ties to Group 4. I post this simply because I suspect there are others out there who have encountered difficulties with tires for the stock metric wheels on their injected Boxers. The Group 4 message quoted above included some pictures of the finished wheels. I'll try to figure out how to post them. The wheels look really nice.

7. speer

speer Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    phoenix, az
    Full Name:
    jim speer
    #132 speer, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. bobwass

bobwass Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bob Wass
    nice photos jim, thanks for posting them!

9. speer

speer Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    phoenix, az
    Full Name:
    jim speer
    A further update on the Group 4 wheels for Boxers. It was received today.

"Small update…delivery of wheels is due to take place on Tuesday, this doesn’t leave long to get on board as an early bird and save yourself some money. Don’t be shy, I’ll be available over the weekend.

Regards,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Sage, Group 4 Wheels Ltd
    +44 1225 430 502 or +44 7971 988 735 [email protected] group4wheels.com facebook.com/group4wheels

Registered in England No: 8250560
    Registered address: 141 Englishcombe Lane, Bath BA2 2EL
    VAT No: GB144346814"

10. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I would like to see how these wheels look on a Boxer before buying. Are there any pics that you can provide?

11. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    I am sort of in the same camp although the dimensions are close to original.
    I sort of like that the OD is going to be slightly bigger and should fill out the wheel well better.

An excellent shot would be a Boxer with stock on one side and these rims on the other, then the pictures placed side by side.

12. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
  13. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    Same here.

14. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Just received an interesting call (went to voicemail, actually) from FedEx Trade Networks regarding my wheels -

They need to know if they are for use on-road, or off-road, for some reason. I can't find anything in my quick google search of how/why this is relevant. except a distinction between "intended for vehicles under 10,000lbs vs. over 10,000 lbs".

I expected to pay a tariff, but does their use make a difference in the importing/customs bureaucracy idiocy? What's my best answer to move this along?

Also, since it's over $2,500, it requires a Fed Tax ID number on file with Customs, and would require a Form 5106 since I haven't imported any one shipment over that amount previously.

Need some guidance here before calling them back, since I don't want to lose something in Customs Purgatory.
    Anyone else get such a call (yet)?

15. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    they have to conform to DOT standards

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I often have those problems also.

it is a matter of the custom. for euro customs you find all in the internet online and can then check what you will answer to pay the less custom. I don´t know how it is in the states. best would be you google a little, may be you will find the answers. good luck :)

also may be when you tell them they are for on road that the custom will confiscate those wheels because they have no DOT. best would be first to ask a lawyer who knows the custom law.

17. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    yeah, show and display only?

18. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    As I stated, not much info to be found from my 10 minute search attempt.

Such bureau-idiocy is why I'm asking. It likely will be relevant to anyone else here in the US who ordered these from Jonathan

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    and I always thaught only here in germany we have such a bad bureau-idiocy

20. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

That's interesting as I have purchased a set of 328 wheels out of Italy a few years ago and imported them into the U.S. without any customs difficulty. I don't know if the wheels were inspected or not, however, is there typically a DOT stamp on wheels that indicate that they meet standards?

21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I think you get original wheels? not remanufactured ones?

on the original wheels there are positive stamps on. those are made during the alu casting and are as negative in the mold. those stamps say something about the size and the production date. and those writings are registered here in germany in the technical data sheets for the cars. I think same will be in the US?

22. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
  23. SLOT RACER

SLOT RACER Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    Westchester Cnty, NY
    Full Name:
    Rich A.
    I received from Jonathan an HS7 Form to filled out regarding the DOT Certification which is needed. He also noted it's an issue they come across often and really is just the luck of the draw if your wheels get caught up in customs. The long and short of it is as your car is over 25 years old, it's irrelevant and not applicable.

Tick box #1 and and sign the form. Job Done !!

Prior to receiving this and doing a little research yesterday I had spoken to a mechanic shop my company does business with and they mention that when they have this situation they always say it's for off road use since that doesn't need DOT certification as l've been told. I hope this little bit of information helps.

Enjoy your wheels when you get them and post some photos when you can.

24. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

+1, I would also like to see what these wheels look like installed on the car!

25. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Thanks, SR. I'll contact Jonathan about that HS7 Form, and continue down the route you (and Veedub) pretty much confirmed.

Pics will have to wait until the car is done with its restoration, but someone here will surely post thiers long before then.