[video] bad CCR 458 crash Road America | Page 6 | FerrariChat

[video] bad CCR 458 crash Road America

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by rob lay, Jun 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    the video shows turning of the wheel.

to answer your question, you can turn the car throttle, braking, or even just lifting. I don't think the case here as Steve was 100% throttle.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    1 day ban, personal attack.

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I'm not a data guy. Is there a throttle trace with the steering? Video fools people all the time. Data seems infallible. By the video everyone says the lead car move is abrupt and significant. A steering data trace would show that. It is unlikely to get such a dramatic shift in position on a straight going 150 even if abrupt lift or brake and even less adding abrupt throttle. Further the throttle trace would show if he was 100% as you state. And if he was 100% how can anyone reconcile the contradiction of what the data shows and video portrays?

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Data infallibale? Someone with knowledge will have to comment on this situation. Is steering trace GPS only? Is it pulling from the cars data? How much input required to register? There can always be manipulation of data. Data wrongly interpreted, just like video? Infallible?

5. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    That is a question I posted about earlier and people like ProCoach have been silent. Maybe because they are working on the appeal right now? Yes data sure seems infallible. Data is all the rage. We have Coaches leaving the right seat to make drivers faster with data and video. Almost no pro races without data. Data is where 10ths seem to be earned. To me that means it is accurate. I think we will have to wait for the professionals.

6. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    No way that trace came off GPS data. It's gotta be steering angle collected from the car itself.

7. WCCoffey

WCCoffey Karting

Apr 14, 2010
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chris Coffey
    #132 WCCoffey, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015

The steering angle data is provided by the Steering Angle Sensor in the car, it is not "calculated" information. The Steering angle measures in increments of 1 degree, and the sensor is located inside the steering column.

This steering angle sensor and data is part of the stability management of the car as well as the factory Magneti Marelli data analysis system.

All of the data captured by the AiM system is provided through the CAN-BUS in the car EXCEPT G Forces, and GPS Data. It matters not what data capturing system you use in the car as it all captures the same data that is provided BY the car. The factory Marelli system cannot display different parameters than the AiM system as they are derived from the same sensor and system.

With Modern Can-Bus based cars the need for a data acquisition system with its own sensors is obsolete.

There are 2 reasons for using an AiM system over the factory Marelli. First, The Marelli requires the use of a Beacon. If the batteries go dead in the beacon, or if it falls over, is tampered with, lost or stolen, you are **** out of luck and you get no data. The AiM is GPS based to determine start/stop points. Second, the data is easier to reveiw and plot as the AiM Analysis Software is much easier to manage. Driver coaches also like to use the same systems through out the different cars they coach so that the display is something they are familiar with and able to use easily.

For Example: Our driver coach doesn't just coach Ferrari's. He does TA2, TA, World Challenge, Cup Cars, etc, etc, etc... and the Marelli system and Analysis software is specific to the Ferrari and is not in any other car. So to enable him to coach to the best of abilities we run the AiM system that he is familiar with.

8. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    +430

9. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #134 johnhoughtaling, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    The fact that we have not commented on the data is not because no one is interested. We have not commented because it is currently under review by our experts. An appeal has been logged by Steven Hill who sent his Data to CCR. CCR is reconvening our panel with a review of data and will review the decision of fault and penalty. Jim Booth has also asked the board, along with the appeal to review the penalty and suspension. CCR will reserve comment until a full review of all submissions by the appellant and appellee by our experts and board.

We ask that everyone respect our good faith efforts in the meantime. When we have a decision we will make it public along with our analysis.

10. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    John,

Thank you for all the effort, work, and heart and soul you put into CCR. I know there is a process, and it takes time. Thanks for being thorough.

I was a bit confused with the initial findings, as I thought that the data had already been reviewed. Your comment today reveals that the data is now being looked at by the expert panel and was not considered in the initial findings. That's a good thing to review everything that is available.

I have an AIM system as well, and the live view shows that the steering wheel input is in fact, quite sensitive. Hope the data can shed some light on the sequence of events in addition to the video.

Most of all, I wish Jim a full recovery and pray that his injuries are not too serious and will completely resolve. Also my thoughts are with Steven as this experience must be difficult for him as well. My casual experience with both of these guys is that they are genuine, honest, and would never do anything intentional to harm a fellow racer on the track. They are more competitive than me, but that doesn't mean we can't share the track in this series.

The thing that all of us need to keep in mind, is that there are no winners and losers in an incident like this. Everyone seems to lose something in a domino effect. Every driver and team missed out on a full race that day. It affected the PWC schedule of events and changed their schedules. It affected the track and safety workers. Coupled with the incident in Qualifying the previous day, we had less track time at RA than any other event I have participated in with CCR but the costs of getting there and racing were the same. One car was destroyed and another car seriously damaged. The fence sustained heavy damage. Jim sustained physical injuries and I'm sure Jim and Steven sustained at least some mental anguish as well. Hell, it shook me up and I wasn't directly involved. Whoever is determined to be at fault, or share fault, will have a negative effect on them for a long period of time. But all of these things are trivial compared to the human experience, and that is why we should be praying for Jim to recover completely and try to see how we can make things safer for all of us in the future.

Looking forward to continuing with CCR and having a safe, fun, and exciting way to enjoy these fantastic cars with friends who share the same passion.

PS. Thanks for fixing that fence.

11. txfsport

txfsport Rookie

Aug 18, 2015
    #136 txfsport, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
    Here is another camera angle that I cannot believe no one is discussing. It looks pretty cut and dry to me

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHfALNIVULY[/ame]

12. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Here is why data is so important:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHfALNIVULY&sns=em[/ame]

From this view it looks like Booth drops two wheels in the dirt and then veers into Steve.different angles can make the same event look completely different. Data always tells the truth.

13. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    This is the exact video from Marios car reviewed frame by frame in HD by the panel and discussed in the original report.

14. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Good points in here. I too was confused how 100% of blame could be assigned in this incident to one driver. It seems to me that both played a roll. The lead car could (should) have left more room and the overtaking car tried to make a pass at a location that I would not have tried in a 13/13 event. There appeared to be a decision to pass regardless of the space that was there and once committed never lifted or braked. Steering input and throttle/brake data can tell a lot here. Perhaps this decision to pass through 4 was in part because passing was discouraged into 5 as stated earlier? Getitdoneitus? Into 5 would have been a better location to complete the pass in my opinion.

15. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    A problem I have with a 100% assessment of blame is that this assessment took weeks, with multiple video camera angles from multiple cars. How can you possibly assign 100% blame on drivers making a decision in seconds and without the benefit of all these different points of view ?

16. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I agree with you 100%. These are split second decisions made under stress by amateurs racing at 160mph with incomplete data. That is why we call these racing incidents baring clear cut violations of racer behavior.

17. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    Well said.

18. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    And with 100% blame assessed, I also think that the concept that the passing driver has responsibility for making a safe pass seems to have been forgotten. Squeezing on the inside at the apex of T4 as the track narrows should carry with it the acceptance of some level of risk. Not sure what the level is, but it is >0.

19. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    I would like to use the opportunity afforded by the hiatus ahead of COTA to sincerely apologize to John on this (public) forum (as I have already done privately) for my emotional outburst on August 10 . I was upset by the Finding and my choice of words was unfortunate and out of context for this series. It was not my intent to malign or damage.
    I have heard and seen how divisive this incident has become which is of no value to any of us and it’s particularly inappropriate for you without whom, there would be no series. We have not encountered something like this before, but I know it’s very difficult to develop a process to handle it when it happens and maintain the transparency that was promised.
    So I am sorry that this has been distressing for many and in particular Yulia and John and hope we can put this behind us.
    Colin

20. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Thank you for your words Colin. I appreciate what you wrote.

We are trying very hard to do the right thing which is what everyone deserves.

Racing a Ferraris takes a lot of passion, commitment, and investment on many levels on behalf of everyone involved. Yulia and I are investing in bringing on additional talent to move the series forward in 2016.

21. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Was there a post data review verdict? Appeal stands or initial sanctions stand?

22. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Once again I applaud your thoroughness, fairness, and passion.

Racing is always interesting.

This weekend during practice we were rolling along nicely when a car up ahead crashed and the driver who was trying to get his Ring license riding with an instructor both got out without leaving the car in gear or setting the parking brake and the car rolled backwards into us. The driver had earlier this year won Le Mans in an LMP1! If you watch to the end you'll see the incident. We repaired overnight and raced successfully the next day.

Stay safe and keep your passion burning.

Best!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEOgmAhNZbk&sns=tw

23. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    That is unbelievable. That's racing.

24. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Read the whole thread. Watched videos multiple times. Can't see how it's possible to apportion 100% blame on #33. In-car video of #33 clearly shows he did not move his steering input. According to his appeal document, he also has logger data to prove he did not turn his steering wheel into #13.

Not an expert on video optical illusion, but if #33 is going in a straight line into the apex of a left bend, using the left track limit white line or #13 moving along the white line as reference can possibly cause one to think #33 is moving left instead of #13 moving right.

What about the Venturi suction effect as the gap width between #33 and #13 is drastically reduced when #13 got up close to #33? If that is a factor then can easily suck the two cars towards each other by a foot or two

Regardless of Venturi effect, side gust of wind, or #33 slightly squeezing, #13 was way too optimistic to stick his nose in as #33 approached in a straight trajectory towards "apex" of the very high speed bend.

Don't know how it is in the US, but normal FIA stewards' interpretation is passing car must have at least his front wheel past the rear wheel of the car in front to attempt a move, which does not appear to be the case here.

CCR appears to be trying its best to be open and impartial. Not surprised people disagree about any CCR decision might make. At end of the day, amateur racing is supposed to be fun and everyone should be glad #13 driver survived the crash!

Some times conceding a position or wait till next corner to pass is the wiser and safer choice.

25. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    So what was the final result of the appeal protest?