308 steering problem | FerrariChat

308 steering problem

Discussion in '308/328' started by Alex Rogo, Jul 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alex Rogo

Alex Rogo Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    California
    I'm starting to experience some weird feedback through the steering. Sunday I drove about 60 miles and after about 25 miles I started to notice a notchiness when turning or changing lanes. I wasn't driving fast or agressively, but as I followed the arc of the road curves it would feel as if the steering was catching on something then continuing to turn. When I arrived at my destination and was parking I could hear loud rubbing or somehting similar as I turned the wheel w/ more lock. A respected mechanic looked under the car while I moved the wheel back and forth (stationary) and said he could see nothing wrong with the rack. When I went to drive home everything felt fine and then after about 25 miles it occurred again. The sensation is that something is wrong in the column itself, and oddly seems to manifest itself after the car gets hot and has been driven for a while. Is there something in the steering that is heat sensitive? It was a hot day and the engine temp was 195+, but why would that effect the steering? Any advice on where to start looking?

Thanks

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There are two universal joints, between the rack and the column.....good place to start?

He looked at your ball joints and the A arms??

There is a known failure pattern of the upper A arm mounting brakets, where they weld to the frame.....the part was changed at one point, to a heavier one.

3. Alex Rogo

Alex Rogo Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    California
    Thanks for your feedback.

He was on his back in the grass, so I don't think he looked at the upper A arms...just the rod ends for play in the rack is my guess. And the car had been sitting for several hours so the steering felt ok at the steering wheel. It only seems to happen when the car gets hot...what would cause that? I'm thinking heat from the radiator is causing something to expand and create tolerances that cause slippage or binding.

It's an '85 QV. Would that have the revised brackets or was that something post-production?

Thanks again.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It would take a search but I think you are ok with the heavier brackets, by 1985 (I have 1976 and 77s!)..

The heat part is a head scratcher as there isn't much heat in the front, except blowing on you thru the firewall!!

The two tubes routing the coolant are in the tunnel and go flat on the pan into the radiator. There just isn't anything I would think hot enough to throw the metal linkage of the steering into a bind, from material expansion....

All the great minds of 308dom are here, someone will hit the issue!!

5. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Have you adjusted the steering wheel? There are 2 bolts that hold the housing for the column onto the mount; these can be loosened to move the wheel up and down, but if you don't loosen the pinch nut on the sliding spline of the column, it can put everything under tension, which may make it a little sensitive to thermal expansion - hot air from the radiator heats the firewall up a bit.

Also, I believe the universal joints have grease nipples - try there too

6. Alex Rogo

Alex Rogo Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    California
    I haven't made any adjustments but they still may have worked loose. I will have a look around and see if I can get to the u joints. Probably need to take it to a shop.

Thanks for the help.

7. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert

I was curious about this pinch bolt myself. As was explained to me recently by Newman the splined shaft should move freely in and out as you adjust the steering angle. This may be part of the collapsible safety feature of the Column. Still confused by this. We need more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    There are also bearings in the upper steering column.

9. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I test drove an 85 before I bought mine. Had exactly the same steering feel you describe. The guy wanted $35K, which I thought was way too much for anything but a near perfect car, so I moved on. I assumed it was end bushing moving around inside the rack casing and binding the rack to the pinion on occasion. Maybe old grease?

10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    My 308 had this issue as well. i used some silicone lubricant under the steering wheel collar and it used to go away. it would show up in the summer months ... not sure what caused it ... had the rack checked etc.. no issues. I think it's really just an accumulation of crud from the years that in the warm weather melts lower down and makes the grinding noise ... some of the old grease coming out? I just added lubing up the steering as part of routine maintenance. I had about 65K miles on mine when this happend.

11. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Probably a simple solution, what took me two years to find out :)
    I never had that notchiness when the car was cold, but it always occured after around half an hour of driving.
    It was better during the cold months and worse during summer.
    In the end it wasn't only the notchiness but a audible squeal while turning the steering wheel, what finally led me to the solution.
    It was that dry lubricated bushing which goes through the firewall. It's a pressed in DU-busing or Permaglide bushing pressed into an aluminium ball held by the flange just above the steering rack.
    I replaced that bushing and since back then my steering works smooth as silk. No matter what ambient temperatures or humidity.
    If it's not clear I would be happy taking a picture.

Best Regards from Germany
    Martin

12. Alex Rogo

Alex Rogo Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    California
    Thanks guys. This was helpful.

cheers