Fusebox : second hand or newly made | FerrariChat

Fusebox : second hand or newly made

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by stekkefun4, Jul 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

What would you choose?

1. Trying to fix myself

2. Look for a second hand one

3. Go for a newly manufactured one

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I've been trying to sell a spare fusebox from a Mondial QV for a long time now and the asking price is correct, though no reaction sofar. More in general, if I would have to buy a replacement, I would have 2 options: an original one (prone to electrical gremlins, though original) or a newly manufactured one costing on average much more than a second hand one. I bought this spare one some years ago to have one in reserve, (un)fortunately I don't need it because the fuseboxes in my car are stable (thanks Guido ;) ).

What % would go for a second hand one and who would go for a newly manufactured one? Stability over authenticity?

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Too many variables, I think.

I'm sold on the fusebox upgrade by Dave Helms. In conversations with him prior to his conversion of mine, he needs to personally determine if the main board is reusable or not. Most of the time it is. But in some cases he will need to replace the board (I think with a new one) prior to his upgrade.

Based on that, maybe contact him and offer yours as a third-party source (when needed) for another person's upgrade?

So, a forth option for your poll would be an upgraded one. Or is that what's meant by "newly manufactured" (as opposed to New Old Stock).

3. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Yes, that would be a fusebox 'upgrade'. Newly manufactured means a completely new board made from scratch. Thanks for the tip.

4. fgcfire8

fgcfire8 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2008
    Montpelier Va
    Full Name:
    Frank Castelvecchi
    I went with GT Autoparts Pheonix for remanufactured one, don't think they are any new ones

5. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    I too replaced with GT AutoParts and added Helms heat management kit.

6. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    This was my thinking also.

When it was time to fix (again), I simply went with Dave's upgraded unit knowing I should never have that issue again. Cheaper in the long run, to say nothing of the peace of mind.

Regards,
    Jerry

7. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I was thinking about getting the fusebox update from Dave Helms for my testarossa... Never looked before, and I thought folks had mentiond it was a grand or so... Website says $1700? Ouch... Thats a bit high to be preventative maintenace for many folks...

8. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Perhaps prices have gone up. I seem to remember a iittle over $1000 when I did it a couple of years ago. I have no idea if the Mondial fuse box is the same or not.

Yes, a bit expensive, but you will never have to worry about the fuse box again. A prior owner of my car shows replacement of factory fusebox. So I didn't want to have to go down that road again. In the long run (if you are hanging on to the car for a few years), I think it is cheaper.

Regards,
    Jerry

9. enzo52

enzo52 Karting

Aug 14, 2008
    France, Paris
    Full Name:
    Depensadie Seraphin
    I dont understand why people want to pay so much money when there is a cheap and better alternative...Guido produces fuseboxes for 500 euro and they are complete NEW...
    Not using the old OEM box and putting some wires beside for Big $$$.

enzo52

10. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Because the Ferrari design is weak.

Dave's design splits some circuits and effectively adds a second mini fusebox. So in addition to better construction, the underlying electrics are split into smaller circuits taking away one of the reasons some of the circuits tend to burn through the old setup.

Regards,
    Jerry

11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Financially, due to the current conversion rate, either one is an option.

As of this morning, 500 Euro equals $570.90

12. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Who is Guido, and where are these $500 fuse boxes?

Bo

13. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Yes, I still produce them in very limited quantitys. Price is still 500 euro + shipping.
    Models : mondial 8, QV, 3.2 and t...testarossa, 328, 400 series and F40.

Guido

For those who are intrested can PM me or [email protected]