90 TR Twin Turbo build | Page 6 | FerrariChat

90 TR Twin Turbo build

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by timemachine, Jan 9, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. djjvr

djjvr Karting

Aug 16, 2014
    SFO/SAC/CPH
    Wow, just read through this build thread and all I can say is awesome work! Can't wait to see this finished.

2. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    Thx dj. Yes hoping this Spring...the original engine will come out next and put in a bag in the corner. The turbo engine is going to Newman's next to change out the diff and a set of new belts and idlers, then back into the car. Was first planning on maybe converting the fans to SPAL units and aluminum radiators to take even more weight out of it before installing the turbo engine.

3. Jimi900

Jimi900 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    So have you been able to get this build all finished?

4. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    Been doing some cosmetic work lately and waiting for my son to get back from college. In the past months, we repainted the lower front valence and the area behind the grille a flat black...the lower valence was a glossy black and it looked like someone in the past had just painted over the bugs, so we sanded everything smooth and applied the flat black. Looks much nicer now in my opinion.

Good news is my son has just graduated with his BSEE and has a job in Detroit working for a power company. He's home now and chomping at the bit to finish this up. So the plan is to bring the spare motor to Newmann and change the diff, belts and idlers, and rebuild the water pump. Once this is complete, we're going to swap the engines out. I'm also trying to get the another clutch control setup for the spare motor b/c I just want to pull the whole stock motor and leave it complete. While I have the engine out I'm going to redo the radiators in aluminum and install some light weight SPAL fans for the cooling system. I will post some pics when I start doing this. Thx for asking about the project status. This stuff always takes longer than you anticipate :).

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I know this very well with my own koenig competition. stil working on until it would get finished. but driving already about 50 km with 0,5 bar with nearly no problems ( only a waterleak on the right side near the radiator - sometimes, not always ?? - but until now have not found it :( )

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Amazing .... exellent pilgrims work .... :) Hope the gearbox won't s[poil it all (although you get an upgr diff) ...

I noticed a posting here somewhere ... somebody offering a (used) 512M engine ....

7. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    I'm also adding that upgraded quill shaft that Robert sells, hopefully this will act as somewhat of a shock absorber and not harm the trans...I'm mostly interested going from a 55 roll to 140-150 mph, the dead dig stuff is for my race cars.

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    those shafts robert sells until now I have no problem. hope it will go on so :)
    if the original shaft or also special shafts will break then only when shifting. when you accelerate hard the shaft turns itself and when shifting suddenly the power is gone and the shaft goes in the original shape again - and this is then so fast that the shaft will break at the weakest point. it is like a catapult

9. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
  10. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    #135 timemachine, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Have had 7 weddings and 5-6 graduations/First Communion parties already this Summer. My second son is getting married this weekend and we have a lot of people coming into town so we've been trying to get ready for all that. Still building house in TN on the side of a mountain too. Gonna get back on it hard after the US Natl's at the end of Aug.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Priorities ey:)?

12. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    Yeah, sometimes life gets in the way of the toys...

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    same happens to me also always

still building a house, working on my F´s and have to earn money also
    so many toys and so much to do and so less time :(

14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I presume the F's are only hobby ... so this is how things should go ... yes ... priorities :D

Timemachen, friend, do us a favour and fill in your name ... easier to communicate imo :)

What a beautiful castle you are creating !!!

15. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    Hey Mel,
    Finally figured out how to update my profile. It's all good now.
    John Meaney

16. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Wow John....that's quite a view! After a hard day...just taking all that in will melt the troubles away....very nice.

17. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Hey John - How many garage spaces at the TN house? :D:D:D

Looks like a nice place going up.

18. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    #143 timemachine, Aug 4, 2015
    Hi Jeff,
    Yes, the local contractors call it the house with the million dollar view. When I first saw the lot I knew I had to own it. The back of the house faces West so we get to see all the gorgeous sunsets. Sometimes the sunsets are purplish-red, stunning to say the least. The bald eagles nest there too and they're magnificent to watch flying around...

Curt,
    The lot is pie shaped, and about half way down to the water is where we put the house. The house is about 80' wide and due to lot restrictions we had to do a detached 4 car garage with covered walkway to the house.

19. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    #144 timemachine, Aug 4, 2015
    My second son's wedding (standing left of my wife) was this past weekend, the reception, on Saturday, was a blast seeing friends and relatives again from out of town who we hadn't seen in years. Sunday, was bittersweet because he left for his honeymoon and it hit me hard seeing his empty bedroom after being there for 22 yrs. We homeschooled so I saw him pretty much every day.

20. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Wow, I just made the connection that you are the Big Stuff 3 guy! Very cool. I have BS3 on my TT Fox body mustang. Off topic, if you have a tuner you would recommend in Houston, I need some help with that car.

thanks,

Sanjay

21. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    Hey Doc,
    Tried to PM you, but box is full...
    I'd try Craig Pachar at Triangle Speed or Grant McCrary at Fast Forward Innovations, try our website BigStuff3.com for their numbers...
    Thx,
    JM

Jon Hansen likes this.
  22. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Sorry about that....looks like FChat reduced the number of PM's allowed, so I did clean out my box. Thanks for the info.....I'll give him a call.

23. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    #148 timemachine, Aug 17, 2015
    Finally got back on the project a little this past weekend. We reinstalled the lower valence and put new Ricambi turning light bezels in (one was cracked). I was able to use the new nylon washers I had made as a couple of the fasteners had none. While it was apart we removed the front grille and painted the area behind it flat black to match the valence. This paint is some special stuff and is impervious to brake clean. Finally after 18 months the front end is all back together. I like the flat black look on the valence.

24. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    #149 timemachine, Aug 17, 2015
    This past weekend, we also removed the turbo kit and are getting ready to send the components out for powder coat and some high temp coating on the exhaust pipes. It came apart nice and easy.. Below is the complete kit.

25. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    #150 timemachine, Aug 17, 2015
    We are going to powder coat the air box, compressor out tubes, and the chrome moly turbo mount flat black, I'm still debating on what to do with the stainless in and out of the turbo. Don't want to polish them b\c I don't like chrome/shiny look. Was considering some high temp coating to help keep the heat down in the engine bay. Any ideas?