Air Brush | FerrariChat

Air Brush

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Vito, Jul 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    I am looking to purchase an air brush kit for use in modeling & am wondering if anyone has a recommendation as far as model, type & brand is concerned. My use of it would be with model cars & aircraft. Thank you for your suggestions.

2. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I have a Paasche Model H now, but am thinking about a Paasche Talon.

Look on Shop Small Hobby Tools & Miniature Tools from Micro Mark

3. WOLFMAN

WOLFMAN Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Germany and US
    Full Name:
    Gerd W. Brandt.
    I use a Infinity and Evolution Silverline air brush.
    Both air brushes are great and mostly used by pro’s.

4. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Oh, and I forgot to mention - for model painting it is my personal opinion that a dual action brush is beside the point: a single action type is easier to control and quite adequate unless you are trying to do art-style shading and free hand drawing.

Be sure to invest in an oil-less compressor and not those silly aerosol cans.

5. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    Thank you for the suggestions. What recommendations can you make regarding paints to use & appropriate thinning?

6. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    James & WOLFMAN: An additional question has to do with the compressor for the air brush. Can I use the compressor that I use to inflate the tires on my car? It is 3 gallon, 100psi, oiless pancake style compressor. Thank you

7. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I'd agree with most everything you said, except for the compressor.

A decent sized CO2 tank costs very little, doesn't need a water trap, and contains no oil. Refills run $1/pound or less, and a pound of CO2 goes a LONG way. Oh - not to mention the fact that there is no compressor noise. :)

8. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Yup - that would work fine.

BTW - I keep two airbrushes, one for solvent based lacquer, one for water based acrylics.

Paint is pretty much a personal preference, but I have come to prefer the acrylics for plastic model kits because the water/alcohol base does not attack the plastics.

9. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    Thank you for the additional information. Sounds like I can use my current compressor & just get the airbrush.

10. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Vito, you'll be spraying at well under 30 psi. You say you have a 3 gallon tank. My only real worry (neglecting moisture trap & regulator) would be surges. Been a while since I've done ANY airbrushing, but at 3 gallons, I'd bet you'll be OK if you keep the tank pressed up on the high end & have a regulator/reducer set to the pressure you want to spray at.

11. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    They have a pressure regulator on the output (at least mine does). I keep the tank at 100 and regulate the output down to 30-40.