Road Trip Checklist | FerrariChat

Road Trip Checklist

Discussion in '308/328' started by AaronMeisner, Jul 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AaronMeisner

AaronMeisner Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2014
    Baltimore MD USA
    Full Name:
    Aaron Meisner
    I am lucky enough to be heading out on the road this Wednesday for a long weekend road trip to the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix with a small group from the Mid-Atlantic Region of the FCA. I'm really looking forward to this trip!

In the interest of maximizing fun and minimizing drama, I am trying to finalize a checklist of things to bring along. This is a list for a car that I am familiar with and have confidence in. This is not a checklist for an unknown car. And this is a drive through a populated area--not Death Valley in August--I don't need a snake bite kit or zombie repellant. Oil, water, and auto parts stores are expected to be available.

The weather is supposed to be nice, but hot--so my checklist is a bit specific to summer driving. Here is what I have so far:

To Pack:
    1) AAA Card
    2) Volt Ohm Meter and a few feet of wire.
    3) A quart of oil for every 1,000 miles anticipated.
    4) Tool roll and jack--actually IN the car?
    5) Work gloves/Shop rag
    6) Alternator belt.
    7) Zip ties.
    8) Spare Fuses

To Do Before Leaving:
    1) The obvious stuff like oil level, tire pressure, fire extinguisher check, electronic toll pass.
    2) RainX the windshield.
    3) Fresh Stant 10331 overflow tank cap.
    4) Lug nuts all tight?

So what are the obvious things that I am forgetting? What did you need on your last adventure that you won't forget next time?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Mobile phone & charging lead so you can call AAA if needed

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If I do not feel the factory tool and jack kits + spare tire are enough, the car does not take up space in my garage.

Road trips are the only reason to have them. Not being able to count on it for that? That would be a deal breaker for me.

4. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Duct tape

If you can't fix it with duct tape it can't be fixed.

5. FrannyB

FrannyB Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    I put a small detailing kit in every car. Several MF towels, your favorite detailer, Rubber protectant, glass cleaner, etc. I don't spend hours on a trip cleaning the car, but the bugs are pretty awful on paint. I also like a really clean windshield without blue splatter all over the place from the gas station squeege ;)

Oh, I also have a set of musician's ear plugs I wear if I'm traveling with the top down/off for long periods. They allow enough sound through to be safe, but keep your ears from ringing for hours afterwards.

Franny

6. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Go to Home Depot and get a Tyvek body suit? When you have to roll around on the ground for something you don't want to be all dirty for the rest of the day!

But you'd dare to use your factory tools? I think it reduces their value by $100/wrench that touches a fastener!

7. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    In the summer I always try to keep some extra water in the car. I found myself changing a tire once without it, and decided to never make that mistake again. I also keep sunscreen in the car for the times when the top comes off. I don't burn particularly easily, but recently, it seems driving with the top down is a pretty easy way to lose track of how much sun I'm getting.

8. Green308GTSi

Green308GTSi Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Barry Cross
    I also take a small block of wood (4" x 4") in case of a flat tire. I drive onto the block of wood which now gives me the clearance to use the factory jack. Otherwise I couldn't get the jack under the 308 to lift the car.

9. 1stFerrari@71

1stFerrari@71 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs
    #9 1stFerrari@71, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015

Thank you Brian. My feelings exactly.

With the extensive work you recently did for me, I have the confidence in the car to drive it anywhere, anytime....

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Glad you are having fun with it.

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A lot of places in Texas with no cell reception. Might as well lean out the window and yell.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not a bad idea. Those folks in Maranello never tried to change a flat with the factory jack.

13. skelly

skelly Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2011
    I'm glad you're coming to the Grand Prix! Have you been to the event before? It's one of my favorite things that happens in Pittsburgh every year.

I'm thinking that I might put my motorcycle in the vintage bike show. But even though my 328 is filthy, I'm tempted to have the worst car at the Cortile. It really is the best way to see the PVGP. You'll meet a bunch of great folks.

14. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    In my Mondial I always have some extra relays of each variety, plus a spare coil power head, some tools, some wire & tape, a small bottle of Bourbon ...

15. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Aaron - we will have your back this weekend.

I have done this event 3 other times in the TR as well as a round trip to Asheville, NC, and multiple tri-state area rallies and runs. My extra preparation for all of them? Zilch. (Of course I have probably just doomed myself to a failure this trip...:() I keep the TR as I would any car - maintain it properly and drive it accordingly. I did the same with my former 1977 GTB and she never let me down either. The point of these cars - in my mind, anyway - is to drive them and enjoy them. Of course there are those times where ***** happens; but, realistically if it can't be fixed on the roadside with common tools, no manner of extra preparation will likely help out - unless you made a really good guess on parts to take along. If you drive the car enough that you really know it - the normal sounds, how it feels on the road at different speeds, etc. - make sure your fluids are good, check your tires, and get ready to enjoy a great trip and a wonderful event.

Curtis

I am also sending you a PM.

16. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    What about a spare timing belt?

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Don't forget to leave your paranoia at home. :)

In 30 years I've never had a problem with my 308 on the road. Lot's of 200-300 mile jogs through northern New England.

18. cabbott2

cabbott2 Karting

Oct 27, 2014
    chicago/ Iowa
    Agreed. Mine has been a daily driver since May for everything from errands to road trips. Over 1000 miles. The more I drive it, the better it runs. Windows and wipers are even speeding up... Weird.

19. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Did you make it out? I met George there today and his beautiful 308 GTB. I had the 430 Scuderia there as I'm still restoring the interior in the 308. Thinking about going tomorrow but not sure if I can swing it.

20. AaronMeisner

AaronMeisner Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2014
    Baltimore MD USA
    Full Name:
    Aaron Meisner
    Thanks, all. We had an AMAZING time at the PVGP. The FCA-MAR set up a fantastic weekend for us and the people were great!

The car presented no real problems--outside of a distinct lack of luggage space. We used no oil, no fuses, and didn't have to break out the fire extinguisher even once!