CB650: The Jersey Devil Project | Page 7 | FerrariChat

CB650: The Jersey Devil Project

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by walnut, Apr 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #151 walnut, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm happy to report that in terms of this project, it was a rather productive weekend. I got the throttle and clutch cables hooked up which will go a long way towards being able to get it running. I need to order new ones though (and choke) as these are all about 8-12 inches too long and the cable itself is old and stretched out. In doing this I found out that I'd installed the clutch lever (fork inside the engine cover) upside down so I had to remove the cover again and get everything mounted up properly; that went very smoothly though. I need to charge the battery properly too.

More importantly though I was able to get the M-unit powered up and to get the starter to engage/turn over! I also have power to the gauge back lights and am in the process or wiring up the warning/indicator lights. The only ones that will be an issue is the turn signal indicators and headlights as I don't have the actual signals or headlamp mounted anywhere nor are their lines run. For the Oil Pressure and Neutral indicator, I already have leads to the switches from the OEM harness and just need to run wires from the gauge out to the connectors.

The bad news is that I need to replace/rebuild my clutch switch as it isn't allow the starter solenoid to ground (won't engage without grounding). This really won't be too bad as I just need to get a new plunger made and its a very tiny part. The plastic one in it got bent over and now won't cause the connection to engage. Also, I misunderstood how the headlight switch needed to be wired in and got it backwards. When I have the low-beam selected, the M-unit powers up the hi-beam and visa-versa. The options I have are to break open the left control box and change the wiring to the switch (I need to rebuild/repack the turn signal switch anyways as its a bit sticky selecting the right turn lights so I'm leaning this way) or I could simply hook the low-beam wire to the hi-beam output on the m-unit.

One decision that I made was to change the grounding pattern for the starter solenoid. In OEM layout it can be grounded by the neutral switch or the clutch switch. I've always been told not to trust the green light (neutral indicator) so I removed that path. Now you must have the clutch fully open to run the starter. Is there anything wrong with that, from a safety point of view?

I'm going to order new ignition coils, plus wires (maybe?), linkage for the transmission, cable sleeving, and sheet material to fab a tail light / license plate mount bracket tonight. I haven't decided how to mount the front or rear turn signals yet and I will probably wait until until I make the body work before I do make that decision.

And yes, the garage is getting to be a mess again!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    And... I replaced the plunger in the clutch switch with an aluminum one only to find out that this makes the switch grounded at all times except when the lever is pulled. I'll have to make a plastic one at some point but for now, I'm just going to ground the solenoid directly to the chassis so I can keep on keeping on. I should be able to mount the headlamp this weekend though as I've not got the spacers I needed. Now I just need to grab some fender wasers and longer screws.

I believe it is time to get down to some cutting and grinding to fix that tray now. Maybe I can even make it to the powder coater this Friday for the wheels (finally).

3. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Never made it to the powder coater or cutting the tray down. I have a couple more parts coming in though and some models that I need to double check dimensions on then I can get the battery tie down, tail-light bracket, and license plate bracket finished off. Its been a very busy week and I don't know if this week will be any less hectic. Knowing that I only have a few more months until this either needs to be running or tucked away in a shed for another year is starting to get a little unnerving. I don't want to rush anything, but I need to keep it moving.

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    You can say it was done right whenever you know it will not only look, feel, run, and more importantly, ride right. No matter what the completion date, you'll thank yourself later for being so diligent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Nothing much to update, but I wanted to say that I've not given up, I've just not been able to find any garage time lately. I'm going to charge my battery this weekend so if I can get that gasket in place and top off the oil, I can try to start her up.

6. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Wow, long time no see! Today I got a few free minutes to work on Taz. My dad is here to give a hand which is always a big help. We got the clutch cover on and sealed as well as the new spark plug wires cut and installed. After filling with oil I found out id not sealed the oil pan well enough so it'll have to come off for another try.

The best part of the day has been that after filling the carbs with fuel from a customized SmartWater bottle... She fired up first try! I only let it run for a few seconds and we'll try for longer in a bit but holy heck! I'll see if I can't get a video to post later also.

I'm sming from ear to ear right now.

7. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Alright, I need to get a new gasket for the clutch cover or use a better gasket goo, too. Tiny leaks but leaks none the less. One fuel bowl drain screw needs to be replaced and I need to get a new gasket or something for the accelerator diaphragm too. Bike starts and revs to 6k but stops there. Obviously there's lots of adjusting and dialing in to do but at least now I know it will fire.

8. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Obviously, it has been quite a while since I've posted an update. Since the last post my family and I have moved to the Netherlands for an "opportunity of a lifetime" work assignment. As such, I had to leave Taz behind in storage. I have every intention of picking up where I left off once I get back stateside but I do have a small update. I mentioned before that there was a leak at the accelerator pump (turned out to be a turn edge on the pump diaphragm), the clutch cover, and the oil pan. The oil pan was an easy fix. All I had to do was install a new o-ring gasket that I was able to purchase.

The clutch cover gasket and the accelerator pump diaphragm were a different story. Out of the dozen or so companies I found on-line that had the parts listed, only one had it in stock. In fact, all of the others said they would not be getting anymore or simply said "obsolete". The problem I had was that the only company which had them wouldn't ship to the US for some reason.

This brings us to today's update. I remembered this fact last night and looked up the parts again. As it turns out, the company that has them is based in the Netherlands so my parts are on order and will be shipped to our apartment this week! So very excited to be able resolve this now! What's more is that if this issue arises again, I can have the parts shipped to one of my colleagues here who can then forward it along to me.

9. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Sweet!

10. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Well holy crap, I received the parts in the post already! Sad to say they'll be going right into my parts bin for quite a while, but at least I've got them now.

11. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Excellent! Bet that's got you as fired up as your engine. ;)

12. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Indeed!

I forgot to mention that before I left, I found that the idle adjustment screw had been set to just about "full in" position which could explain why the idle was so high, yet so steady. I got it cranked back out before I left but will still have some work to do when I get home. The carbs all need to be synced and the idle set properly. I'm going to move the clip-ons to below the upper triple clamp, where they should be. this will elevate the front end a bit and make me have to lean forward a bit more but I feel it will be for the best in the long run. Not sure if I'd mentioned that I also noted an issue with where I have the kickstand placed. The end of the stand gets in the way of my foot when I'm activating the gear change lever. That'll all have to be dealt with too.

I've been day-dreaming about the bikes a lot lately. So far, not too many changes I want to make on Taz, at least, not departing from the last point in my plans. I've been looking at the pictures I posted of the electronics area under the seat though and I feel like I'm going to have to rearrange that a bit so the cables are a bit less of a jumbled mess. If that means having a few more mounting points, then so-be-it. I'd rather have a few more nuts and bolts but an easier to follow electrical layout.

Unfortunately, this has also lead me to a number of modifications I want to do to my Buell after I get home and wanting to buy yet another motorcycle... this time a brand new one as I discussed in a more recent thread I posted.

Oh the joys of a wandering mind and a bit of free time.

13. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Today's thought: red tank, black seat, white rear cowl, grey frame (swingarm and triple clamps), black fork bodies, black wheel hubs and rims with stainless spokes. Keep the gold trim on the engine.

Opinions?

14. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #164 walnut, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    I've been thinking more and more about how to clean up that gauge cluster / top triple. I think when I get home I'll cast a new triple that will have the clip-on mounts incorporated into it as well as gauge mounts. I think the key will get pulled closer in towards the steering stem nut. That'll push the gauges together a bit more and pull the whole thing in a bit tighter.

Looking through the pictures I've posted, I've noticed in post #151 that I really should have made the positive battery cable between the battery and the circuit breaker about an inch longer. That would help get the breaker away from the battery and allow me to run the positive cable going to the main fuse (top of image) under the negative cable and clean that area up a bit. I may move the mounting points for the spark units too so I can run a cleaner looking wire loom in that area (as noted in post #162).

Can you tell that I'm missing my projects?

15. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    Following along...

16. BenBen

BenBen Rookie

May 26, 2015
    Hi!! I've been finding your topic on google by searching "M-Unit Arduino". I'm making my own M-Unit, as you planned to do, for my BMW R60/6. Did you finally created something?

My own version is almost OK, I'm just fighting a bit with the blinkers program, but it'll be ready soon.

And I added a RFID sensor to remplace the contact keys by a magnetic card, and I add an accelerometer 3 axis to have an automatic stop light (even if I don't touch the brakes) and an security alarm when the bike is off.

If you have already something ready, maybe we can share our experience?

My current version is running with a 8 relays bloc, but then I'll use MOSFETs to manage the HIGH current VS the low current of the arduino.

Here a simple video of the prototype running: (in French sorry, but pictures speaks more than words!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S8-J00Ca4E

17. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    BenBen, no I never did get around to doing it myself with an Arduino. To be quite frank, my wallet had more money than my schedule had time so I broke down and just bought the M-Unit. It is a terrific bit of kit though.

I wish I had something I could share with you... the setup shown in your video seems quite thorough. If you are already using an accelerometer (I'm not sure it would be legal in the US to have an 'automatic stop light' but then its not something I'd considered before) have you thought to use it combined with a timer as an automatic shut off for your turn signals?

I would be interested in seeing the finished product when it is all packaged and ready to go in your bike. Also, where did you get that power distribution board? I can't say that I've ever seen something like that but perhaps I've just not looked in the correct place.

18. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    ...and I'm back! We've moved back stateside and I've got the project and its bits and bobs setting in the garage again. Everything seems to have survived the moves to storage, etc. in just about as good of shape as it was before I left with the small exception of the battery which is completely lifeless. It will still be a while before I can start working on it again but, I will be able to get working on it again finally.

One of my coworkers has an older CBR600 (prior to USD forks) that he might be getting rid of for what sounds like a really good price. If he decides to let it loose and I have a few dollars laying around, I might pick it up to use its front end (dual disc front brakes and better forks than what I currently have) and rear brake setup (disc, which would mean I have to replace both hubs).

19. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Praise be! 😺

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Well now, this is a tough post to make...

I've had a year to research, make plans, adjust, etc. and as a result have decided that this project is going to get scrapped before I dump tons of money in it. I knew it will never be a lithe little run about and I thought I was ok with that. Turns out that after a lot of reflect, I am not. I'm going to pull all the parts I bought for it and tuck them into a storage bin for the time being while the chassis and what remains of the original bits and bobs will go to the scrap yard. I am not giving up on building a customized bike for myself but rather with the knowledge I've gained from this, I will be working on finding a better suited bike to start with and move along from there. Several times I've been told and said I'd take my time and "do it right"; sadly I've come to realize that doing it right means starting over.

I am currently leaning towards a Honda CB450 (smaller, lighter, parallel twin instead of a wide inline 4) but will keep looking through the winter and hope to come out on the other side with something worth the effort and money.

21. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    #171 Protouring442, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Have you looked at the Yamaha XS650? Rephased and 750 kitted, they make a great engine. You could put the thing on a diet, or throw it into an RZ350 frame.

22. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I've found a CB500 locally that has a later year CB550 engine installed. It is in need of a little TLC to get it back up and on the road but seems like a good deal overall. I've been talking to the chap and hopefully, if everything turns out to be on the up and up, I'll likely buy it this weekend and get started on rehabbing it.

The immediate plan with whatever I buy, will be to get it up and running, tagged, and on the road so I can begin to get a feel for it. What will be nice is that many of the parts I have for the original project should be usable (mirrors, clip-ons, etc.)

I'll get the engine to where I want it to be, then onto the seat and tank. Once I can get all the excess weight off of the sprung portion of it, I can look into upgrading the shocks front and back and any changes I want to make to the geometry and wheels. The beauty of that is that I can get all of the measurements off of the frame pretty easily to import either into a 3D CAD program or possibly I'll buy the motorcycle setup software from Tony Foale's website which would go a long way to verify all the effects and figure out what spring rates would be best. Perhaps, both.

I've been reading books on motorcycle setup (Race Tech's "Motorcycle Suspension Bible" and Tony Foale's "Motorcycle Handling and Chassis Design the art and Science") and would love to hear any suggestions for further reading/research if anyone has any.

23. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Turns out that the bike I mentioned above, well, the gent doesn't have the title in his name as he never bothered to get it transferred when he bought the bike. I told him if he does get it transferred to let me know but otherwise...

The other thing that really shocks me, though by now maybe it shouldn't, is how many motorcycles people have listed "for sale" for which they do not have a title. What do people do with these bikes? Half of them have tags on them, how is that possible? How can you register, insure, and ride something that you do not have legal proof of ownership? What am I missing?

Anyways, I've found another in my area that I'm going to look at tomorrow after work. Hopefully this will be "the one". When I do finally find a new bike I'll keep posting periodic updates here but will primarily be posting on another site that is specifically this type of effort in order to elicit the most feedback I can get. If it is allowed, I will put link in this thread in case anyone wants to hop over and see more details than what I share here.

24. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Found one! Should have it tomorrow.

25. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003