Speaker in CS | FerrariChat

Speaker in CS

Discussion in '360/430' started by SCEye, Apr 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    So once in a while I take a long drive in the CS. Occasionally music or podcast is preferred over listening to engine (shocking).
    Unfortunately this CS doesn't come with a radio.
    I don't want to install aftermarket radio.
    This leaves bluetooth speaker. I used a Jawbone Jambox but the engine and wind noise make this 4W speaker useless.
    there are more powerful bluetooth speakers on the market. The problem is there is no place in the cabin to put a speaker (rectangular or otherwise). Spirited driving may make a large speaker into a missile - bad for CF and alcantara interior. Inspection of the car interior leads to an idea: Behind the seats is a flat area with a couple of screws (line with felt, red stitching). I think a couple of leather/cloth strips held in place by the screws might be good to hold a speaker in place.
    anyone has any method of listening to music/podcast in a car with no radio?

(right now I use ear buds in my right ear only - need to listen to traffic). This works but if there's a better way....

thanks.

2. supratime

supratime Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2006
    The dr dre beats box is perfect and it matches the red interior :)

3. ktm805

ktm805 Karting

Apr 6, 2011
    Arizona
    I use the Sharkk boom box 10w. It fits perfectly in the space behind the parking brake.

4. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    #4 SCEye, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    thanks, KTM. that space is pretty shallow. Do you strap the boombox down? I think a little lateral force would send the box flying
    I just went down and measured the space: 2.6 x 8.6 in with 1.3in depth.
    amazon has Speaker Dimensions: 2.3" x 7.4" x 2.7". So the fit is slightly lose - Perfect of a soft cloth lining to prevent CF scuffing. I guess it's better b/c it's closer to the cigarette lighter than my idea.

Supra, where do you put the beat box?

5. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
  6. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    well... it's all fun and good but occasionally people may want to try something more mellow.
    also the longest tunnel around here isn't quite that long.

7. supratime

supratime Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2006
    It fits perfectly where the stock subwoofer would sit (center rear shelf). It sticks well with some double sided Velcro. U can remove it without any evidence of modification. The red/black dre beatsbox matches nicely with the red/black Alcantara.

8. ktm805

ktm805 Karting

Apr 6, 2011
    Arizona
    The Sharkk has a rubberized bottom combined with the alcantara so it doesn't move even with spirited driving. Low center of gravity in the speaker too. Of course I would never leave it in at the track. In either case it's 60bucks on Amazon. Give it a try and if you don't like return it. Supra I like your idea too. I may try that as well. I need a black/yellow to match though

9. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I wear ear buds when driving the CS. Music, hands free phone calls. I like it more than having a radio.

10. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    Thanks Supra and KTM.
    Will order the sharkk and try it. If I have a system to hold the speaker in place will post picture

11. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    Update: Sharkk arrived. Louder than the basic Jawbone Jambox (Jambox is pointless in the CS at speeds over 15mph), but not much louder. Able to hear podcast while driving in City. Once the car hits 65+mph on freeways, wind and engine noises made speaker almost impossible to hear speech clearly. Music is audible only b/c I know all the songs on my playlist.
    Conclusion - Sharkk 10W BoomBox is adequate speaker for street driving. Freeway driving needs more than 10W.

Note: the CS has stock exhaust.

The CS might be for sale so no further search at this time. If decide to keep CS, will buy a more powerful BT speaker - Logitech Megaboom or Sony X7.

12. supratime

supratime Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2006
    U can still try my recommendation :). Not having good speakers in a CS is NOT a reason to sell it.. Hope that's not the reason... If it is, maybe u should try another car then Good luck

13. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    Will think about the Beat. My impression of the Beat is more hype than substance. Will test it out at Bestbuy. I tested their headphones and was less than impress at that price point.

Not having speakers was not the reason for selling CS.

14. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    #14 rockminster, May 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    UE Boom fits nicely in the center console just ahead of the rear speaker. Great sound and long battery life. Mega Boom would be even better sound but I'm not sure how well it fits in the same section of the center console.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    not sure if the Boom will be enough to overcome engine/wind noises. I think MegaBoom is needed. Tested both but the price was a bit much. I know a guy who works at Logitech so he might be able to get one with a little discount.

16. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I guess depends on your definition of "enough". I drove my CS for a couple hours with the Boom and it was fine for me, even with the windows down. The Mega Boom would definitely be bigger sound, just not sure of how it will sit in that center console.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    Just ordered the MegaBoom for the trip up to Monterey for car week. Every now and then we need some road tunes....

18. supratime

supratime Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2006
    Megaboom looks pretty sweet..

19. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    the cool thing about megaboom is that your phone can connect to either one or two, doubling the power output if needed.
    $600 for two is a little steep though.

20. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    I'll post up a review after giving it a try to let everyone know how it works. Stay tuned!

21. steveanilox

steveanilox Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2007
    I have the Mega boom in my my 360 spider. Its bigger than the UE boom of course .

It is a tad too long for the tray next to the handbrake but you can still place it in there.

I generally put it on the tunnel in front of the gear stick under the HiFi amp. I considered putting for velcro on there but its seems quite stable without the velcro. Depends on how wild you drive.

The sound is most impressive, more bass than the boom and plenty of volume. I connect my iPhone to it and you can get a free egaboom app that you can use to switch speaker on/off and set simple equalizer.

I love the portability of it as I have several older cars. Its a big improvement on the "premium" Hifi system in the car.

22. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    Finally broke down and got a UE Megaboom.
    Louder than the Sharkk*. I can hear Podcast at speeds up to 90mph. Have not yet tried speed over 90mph.
    only time can't hear is hard acceleration - engine is quite loud at above 6000rpm (stock exhaust).
    Music definitely audible. decent bass output. Not as good as stock system in my Lexus but not a fair comparison.
    There's no place/slot in the car the Megaboom fits nicely in. I ended up putting it in passenger seat and buckle it in place to minimize movements.

*I have Sharkk 1.0 - the next generation Sharkk available but did not buy so don't know. Supposedly it has more power. The advantage of Sharkk over Megaboom is it fit quite nicely in the CS rear "tray" and comes with a felt bag so the speaker doesn't mar the CF finish.

23. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Why not just wear ear buds? Then you can use the phone too. That's what I do. Works great.

24. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    two (minor) reasons
    1. tangle of lines
    2. sometimes hard to hear traffic

25. supratime

supratime Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2006
    This works but certain states only allow you to wear earbuds in one ear while driving.... Like California, New York