Formula E | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Formula E

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Igor Ound, Nov 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #26 Igor Ound, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    Last race finale today and championship still open. BTCC will still be more interesting though, and the cars definitely faster.

I wonder if cities have to pay for formula E to race there like F1

2. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Not a huge fan, but I see the future relevance. Hoping the Speedway might run a race on the road course alongside the Indy GP weekend next year. Rumour has it a timed Sportscar event is scheduled with a run time equal to the first 500 elapsed time hopefully Hybrids and not the DP crap.

3. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    What puts me off mainly are all weather tyres and Brundle's son. They shall both be pruned.

4. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    I am a lifelong F1 fan. Here's some heresy: with the popularity of Tesla, the rise of tech over performance in marketing street cars and the need to capture a younger demo, I am beginning to think that all of the F1 teams should all move to FE in a year or two. If even just Ferrari made the move , they would be heroes ....

I suspect Ferrari would be badly hurt, as I doubt they or Fiat have the funds to invest heavily in the necessary tech.

5. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Went to the season finale in London today. Great entertainment. Really hope the formula takes off. This year, they all raced spec cars, but I understand that next year the teams will have much more freedom to develop their power units/drivetrains. With a good dose of technical freedom, I can see these cars getting much faster and more exciting very quickly. Every car at the event, including the safety cars and medical cars were electric (hybrid in the case of the i8 safety car) which shows the relevance to manufacturers - there is so much more relevance here than in F1. Most of the grid have former F1 credentials, so they know how to hustle a car - and it showed with great wheel to wheel racing. In the end, to see a championship won by 1 point at the final race is good news - F1 can only dream about that scenario these days…

As for noise - what noise? 20 boosted golf carts still sound like, well, golf carts… Not particularly impressed by that, but I think the fans can get over it.

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Apart from some disappointment about the uninspiring track layout and the terrible surface, I was thrilled by the first eGP at Battersea Park, where I use to walk my dog!
    I think London should have made a better effort in track preparation; it was far too bumpy.

Having said that, a really good show, and an entertaining 2 races. Lots of strategy at work though, and I don't think the drivers could figure out how to measure their effort if they were not constantly coached by their pit crew.

The noise? If electric cars were noisy, eGPs wouldn't be allowed in town, would they? They would be relegated to purpose built circuits out of town, and never watched by the general public, including those who don't know anything about motorsport.

So, eGPs in town all over the world are a clever way to advertise electric cars, without alienating the general public with excessive noise; maybe the future of motor racing in that sense.

7. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Yea but for god's sake, put some proper tyres on the things to give em some speed and make tracks wider

8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I think the tyres fit perfectly the limited power these e-cars have at the moment; 250hp max, I am told.

Also, they have to be all-weather tyres. There is already one pit stop to swap car, so the race couldn't afford another stop to fit rain tyres if slicks were allowed.

9. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Lawn bowling on wheels, not a fan at all.

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Not every motorsport fan is going to like eGPs, that's for sure, just like some others are not interested in drag racing...

11. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Final highlights:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mNOSOJXDJs[/ame]

12. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I'm sure the race can afford another pit stop in changing conditions and would most probaly make it more interesting given there is practically no way to pass on track.

I think it has more to do with Michelin wanting to promote their stupid road tyres. Hope they stay away from F1

13. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Today's Formula E cars can only manage 30 minutes on track before needing a recharge - hence the mandatory pit stip. Technology will move fast, and it won't be long before they can do a whole race without swapping cars. At that point, reviewing tire strategy makes sense. I can see performance improving rapidly. It will be interesting to see and I wish the formula much success. I understand more manufacturers have signed up for next year (Peugeot?). They already have McLaren, Williams and Renault involved… Not a bad turn out.

14. Canut

Canut Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Manuel Canut
    Why not just use street cars? Electric cars; Tesla, Nissan, Ford, Chevrolet, Mitsubishi…. Electric Touring Car Championship.
    It is a more recognizable formula. Race on Sunday, sell on Monday. People can get behind their favorite car; manufacturers can get behind the formula. And they can be made to go faster than the cars we have now.
    This current formula is like racing in a vacuum. They are trying too hard to be cool, but it is costing way too much money. It cost almost the same money to set up for the Indy Grand Prix of Long Beach, as for the eGP. But you can be sure; they make WAY more money for the Indy race.
    Seeing the slowest open wheel cars is not exiting. Seeing the fastest electric touring cars (regardless of comparative speed) sounds more existing to me.
    It is a matter of time before the host cities, organizers and “manufacturers” run out of money and call it quits. I will give them one more year.

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It's not always about "making money". Some cities host e-GPs, because they have the intention of only allowing e-cars in future, so the cost of promoting Formula-e and set up a race is part of a wider PR exercise.

16. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Just watched the first race of the new season. Fascinating stuff about how teams have chosen different number of gear, from 1 to 5 but the show is still lacking.

17. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    Buddy of mine ( a doctor who owns a Martini Lancia Delta rallycar I codrive) started this season as their safetycar medic that starts behind the racecars on grid.

18. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Doubt he'll have his work cut out. He probably just needs to remember to slow down enough not to overtake the racing cars.

19. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    On now if you care

20. indy-25

indy-25 Karting

Nov 19, 2006
    It crazy how unreliable these cars were today. It did create an interesting race though.