430 brakes...standard vs ceramic | FerrariChat

430 brakes...standard vs ceramic

Discussion in '360/430' started by DanielG, Jun 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Ok, can someone shed some light on this for me. Here is what I have been told by dealers, what concerns me is a $30,000 brake job.

F430 2005-2006 steel brakes are fine, carbon fiber are problematic
    F430 2007-up steel brakes are fine, carbon fiber are fine

They tell me that unless you track the car, carbon fiber brakes should last the lifetime of the car. HUH? Brakes are a wear item.....

When or do you have to to brakes with carbon fiber? Rotors or just pads?
    Steel vs carbon fiber brake job cost?

I understand driving style dictates allot, so consider it a average with no racing.

It does not matter to me one bit if carbon fiber stops better, my TR stops fine, so does my MBZ, heck my old 67 shelby stops fine. I do not track these cars.

Why, I am looking to purchase a 360 or 430. The 360 seems to be very reliable from what I have read with a manual, and a little hit and miss with a F1. Meaning transmission.
    So I have been looking at the 430's also very reliable with a manual and appears a better F1. But the 430 brakes I'm a little unclear as stated above.

2. Ferrari Nube

Ferrari Nube Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    British Columbia
    I've got a 2005 F430 F1 with OEM Carbon ceramic brakes as an option. No issues whatsoever with the brakes including very little wear. Love the fact that brake dust, if any, is minimal. I've never heard of CCB problems with 05-06 F430 models, so perhaps someone with knowledgeable insight could chime in...

Cheers
    FN

3. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Same for me except mine's an 07. It looks a lot better than standard. And yes they should last the life of the car if you don't track it.

4. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Both work fine. You don't see a lot of people complaining about CCs here. It is worth noting that track rats often will take the CCs off and use aftermarket steel brakes. I'm easy on brakes, so the steel ones would last the life of the car if I didn't track it. Unfortunately, I have and can tell you a new set of steel rotors and pads runs about 3500. CCs can be damaged in other ways like rocks on the road. I imagine that risk varies depending on where you live.

Dave

5. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    I have an 05 F430 with optional CCB's, no issues and no noticeable wear after 24k miles.

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I never heard that about the 05 and 06 ceramics
    I have an 06 with regular and 07 with ceramics and have no issues with either, that being said the 05 has 17k miles and the 07 has 2300

7. wrcimprezza

wrcimprezza Karting

Apr 26, 2011
    If there is a concern about ceramic brakes no one would have bought a new Ferrari after 2008 - enough said!

8. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    He said just the 05/06 carbons were problematic. Which I've not heard before.

9. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    I agree as I'm in the same boat as you. The only occasional downside to them is they can get a bit noisy if they are dirty, but as soon as I wash car they are quite again. I think they are great.

10. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

My 07 had CCB s , that was one of the few things I didn't have a problem with. The car had 5050 miles when I got her and 9850 13 months later when I traded her.

11. Quilty

Quilty Karting

Mar 1, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I've never had a problem with the ceramics. The rotors will last the life of the car if you don't track it, and there is no brake dust! Oh, and they stop better but that is the least of their benefits in my opinion.

Steel rotors are fine too, you just have to clean your wheels all the time.

12. alex550575430

alex550575430 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2009
    LOS ANGELES, CA
    Full Name:
    LIN ALEX

True, my 05' F430 CCB still on the OEM rotor and pads for over 10 years and 30K+ miles, absolutely perfect and it even stops better than my 08' Scuderia. I have not heard anything about 05' and 06' F430 CCB with problems... Let us know if somebody knows more true detail information regarding this matter...

Thanks

Alex

13. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Valrico, FL & Franklin, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    05--23K miles CCB's no issues, little wear, no dust--they are great.

14. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

I also have CCB's on my 08 - again no issues. However I do recall I did read somewhere on either the Brembo site or in the press that Brembo who make the rotas changed the compound silica around 07/08 to increase life.
    If I can find it again - ill post it.

15. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    CCB technology has/does change, you can see it with the part numbers. That said I don't know anyone who has had a wear issue on the street. I did (almost)wear out a set on a GT3 @ the track- it took me about 26 days on track and I removed them. My mechanic said they were still ok but would not be if I replaced the pads and used them again. There are replacement steel rotors for just about every car. A dealer told me the replacements wouldn't work correctly with the ABS computer but they did, 100% fine. I think that was dealer BS. I also have seen more then one replacement needed because of damage from rock chips or a bad wheel change- you can't hit them with things as they are more brittle.

I would not worry about it for street use, worst case, if you did wear them out and were not inclined to spend 30-40k on disc replacements then move to steel. The CCM's performance was better then steel - less fad, more consistent, noticeably lighter(unsprung weight) the suspension more easily controlled the contact patch w CCM. But definitely not a 40k improvement.

16. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    CCB's=last forever. Unless its a track car!

17. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Thank you all, this has been very helpful. Dealers.....you just don't know if they really know the truth, not that they are liars, they just don't know.
    F-chat/owners know the real deal.
    Thanks again, now the next task at hand is the 360 vs 430, yes $$ is the variable. Trying to not spend more than 130k need the extra $$$ from the 94TR for the kids.

18. Bigmig

Bigmig Rookie

Jan 10, 2014
    I have a 2006 430 that I bought in 2013. It came with the steel brake setup, I searched for a year and a half and found a brand new ferrari set for 12k, bought them had them installed for another 2500. Looks great, took a little while to break them in but they work great a no brake dust. Thinking about some scud wheels now.

19. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Elegantly....Who really knows?

20. s52

s52 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    East Bay
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I dont know about lasting forever... but my 07 with factory CCB's has 15K miles and they were measured out at around 84% remaining... so they certainly will last a long time when not used on the track.

They do look amazing, and I love the almost zero brake dust they don't produce!

21. steelej

steelej Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2007
    UK
    In the UK I got a full set of discs and pads for the 430 at around $1000 and fitted them myself in a few hours, $3500 seems a lot.

What no one has mentioned yet is that it's recommended by Ferrari, I know recommended doesn't need to be done like lots of things that are recommended, but it's recommended that CCM disks are changed after every 2nd set of pads on those discs. Just something to be aware of as pads do wear.

john

22. racingbrake

racingbrake Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2014
    Fullerton, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren
  23. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    What's the cost of the CCM brakes?

24. racingbrake

racingbrake Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2014
    Fullerton, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren
    F430 Scuderia Front 394x36 $5400 per pair (ZR1 discs)

RB/ZR1 CCM Rotors for Ferrari 430 Scuderia (Front)

F430 Front 380x34 $5800 per pair (Surface Transform discs)

Both Rear: 350x34 $5600 per pair (Surface Transform discs)

Price is for two rotors completely assembled with rotor hats designed and built by RacingBrake

25. racingbrake

racingbrake Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2014
    Fullerton, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren
    RacingBrake is highly specialized in CCM rotors, we also have excellent street and track pads (pending release next month) specially made for CCM rotors.

These pads were tested both in ZR1 and GT-R communities.