Maserati Khamsin | Page 233 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Graeme,

I just asked Minichamps and will post here what they answer. Obviously the group order would still entail individual deliveries from their factory or distribution facility I don't want to play warehouse manager and most buyers would want to obtain them directly from the manufacturer so shipping costs would be between each buyer and Minichamps, only a group price, if they are willing, would change from retail, We shall see if they are willing...

Best regards,

Marc

2. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
  3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello all,

This is one of my very oldest data entries, a car which I had known of for a very long time, well before I started the Registry in December of 2004.

France Thepenier

15/7/75 Jean Marie Di Galante of Beaucaire in 1980. Seen at French club meet in Honfleur in September 1980.
    Dark green metalic /white
    Demonstration, sold 26/6/76

I had however zero information on it apart of that French club magazine mention and thought it had disappeared into thin air so am VERY astonished to see it emerge from single ownership. One of only 6 one owner cars I have known. It is near identical to AM120.182 the car sold a year ago in an auction in Toulouse which was bought by the head of Citroen Peugeot DS design for €114K. The mention in the catalog about a new paintjob in the 80's seems to say that it was a quick not proper job so shoddy paint a risk, what is underneath?

Think I am going up to Paris to have a look:)

Best regards,

Marc

4. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Pity they blacked out all the stainless trim!

Best,

Jack.

5. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Exactly.
    No mention of how it drives either?
    Black bumpers. Rusty parts under the hood.
    Looks like it needs a lot of work.

But I do like it.

Maybe in about the same condition as the blue car they sold earlier this year?

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello AMLC,

Yes it seems expenses were kept at a minimum, and that it sat a long time, all they did was reawaken it. If the bumpers are black there is a reason which is either a mistake or a bad one...
    Ignore the paint and focus on the rest; the engine bay is not shocking because no one in Europe used to give its appearance any thought. The interior is a bit ratty but original...we shall see, still a wonderful find in terms of it disappearing completely off the radar for 35 years the question is how long did it sleep?

Best regards,

Marc

7. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    I think it looks wonderful for what it is - an unrestored (yes, it had a new coat of paint in the 1980s...) 40 year old car that has covered some mileage. Almost unbelievable that it is an one-owner car too!

8. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    I agree with that.
    One would need to look carefully at the bumpers: Are they painted originals? They could be a telltale for damage, then again, perhaps the PO didn't like the silver painted parts

If it is as honest a car as it should be, it should find ample appreciation.

Best,

Jack.

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello all,

So my ex Khamsin after its crossing from Los Angeles to Holland never even made it to the showroom floor of the Gallery in Brummen Holland since its owner Nick Aaldering sold it on June 3rd to a well known Dutch collector who really loves it so I am glad it found a good home.

Best regards,

Marc

10. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    It is slowly making its' way back to you, Marc!

Best,

Jack.

11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Jack,

Yes:)

I am hoping to get to see it soon.

Best regards,

Marc

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #5812 Nembo1777, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello all,

Doug its owner just let me know that his AM120341 took best in class and best in show at the British Maserati Club's big annual event:)

Since Doug was absent it was Andy Heywood of McGraths who received the award for him, Andy was then able to recount how finishing this car as well as three other Khamsin restorations just before KHAMSIN QUARANTA 3 years ago this month involved a LOT of midnight oil:)!

Here is a photo of the car last year at Salon Prive, I am sure Doug will psot a few shots; well done and all credit for restoring a car in its original color, in this case Luci del bosco which means half light of the forest.

Best regards,

Marc
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Congrats!
    Fabulous colour, looking forward to pics of the event and the car.

Best,

Jack.

14. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
  15. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Beautiful looking car!

Is it me, or does the left (driver's side) seem a bit higher than the right side when seen head-on? Maybe it's an optical illusion.

That would be a great PCH tourer, up and down the coast...

16. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
  17. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's the first late 70's Maserati GT car I've seen with chromed passenger foot rest brackets.

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #5818 Nembo1777, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    AM120US1286 which I drove in April 2013 in...Ohio!

I was under the impression that the seller had sold it to Canada but apparently not or it was since resold, I was not aware that it was in Europe. the owner has taste that is the finest fashion shopping district in Milan:)

It has an interesting albeit not factory correct jade black i.e. with a ting of green in it. This car was orignally verde pino, a stunning color. We have discussed it non original yet gorgeous dash in the past.

I was inspecting it for a Frenchman working in Moscow (it takes all kinds!) who wanted it for his return to France but he did not buy it in the end.

The number plates on it now could be some of the new French ones, not Italian in any case.

Best regards,

Marc

19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Alan,

This car was for decades with the same family in California, a brother sold it to another brother then a few months ago a Spanish dealer bought it and was going to ship it to Europe for resale which is when I exchanged emails with him and posted photos of it here still with US bumpers. He intended to get the Euro bumper conversion done stateside, which obviously took place but along the way someone bought it, either Fantasy Junction or someone who consigned it to them. Don't believe the footrest was born like that but minor detail.

If you look at the rear mufflers and exhaust ends they are not on right they should be flipped upside down and swapped side to side.

Best regards,

Marc

20. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    Look closely at picture 85 (rear mufflers from underneath) and I think you will see that those mufflers could not be swapped side-to-side and still connect to the rest of the system. The exhaust system is not original in many other ways, in particular by not using original-style joints between sections. I suspect it was custom-fabricated for the individual car.

21. KYALAMI

KYALAMI Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    NETHERLANDS
    Full Name:
    Jan Van Ekris
    Hello All,

Just received a message that the Khamsin did €. 230.000.-- hammer price today at the Artcurial auction in Paris. With auctioncost of around 20% it will be approximately €. 275.000.--

When will the first Khamsin hit the €. 300.000.-- mark?

Best regards,

Jan.

22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #5822 Nembo1777, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    So now we get speculative posts manipulating the market, which Jan is what you are doing pushing prices upwards...we are a long way from when I bought mine for US$21000 11 years ago...
    I was unable to attend since I had to finish...wrapping up the sale of another car -not a Maserati- we can verify these figures when the official list is provided. Yes I had a very profitable day but I would rather just be writing fiction instead of brokering though!

Best regards,

Marc

23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Alan,

Well on a normal Euro bumper conversion with stock exhausts that is how it is done, I don't really like to work on cars (I prefer to work behind the wheel on a challenging road:) but I did 3 conversions 10 years ago, my car AM120US1242, and then 2 during a 3 month sabbatical: AM120US1054 and AM120US1140 and each of these had factory exhausts and doing that swap from side to side and invert before fitting worked like a charm but if you say that car has non standard exhausts then yes maybe they would not fit the same way.

Best regards,

Marc

24. Angus81

Angus81 Karting

Oct 15, 2011
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Angus Young
    Hi Marc
    I hope you are fine,
    if you are in contact with the new owner I can supply a copy of the Thepenier's file #120.116
    Fred

25. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    Hi Marc --

You're probably right since there is no way confirm my theory just from the photographs. Is what you see as incorrect that the tail-pipes slant steeply from the bottom of the muffler upward, rather than being approximately level?