<1989 328 GTB> Not feelin' it like I used to...is it time to let her go? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

<1989 328 GTB> Not feelin' it like I used to...is it time to let her go?

Discussion in '308/328' started by AMA328, Jun 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Very interesting discussion, and I hope the OP doesn't mind that it has become more broadly philosophical.

I have moved in and out of a bunch of cars over the years. I'm not a big fan of regret, have very few fortunately. But I actually DO regret getting out of my BBi in '14, and not for the recent price escalation (the market was kind to me as well).

My regret is that I did have a connection to that car. I 'rebounded' with a 328, that is in far nicer condition than the Boxer, way better pedigree, admittedly more drivable.

But I find myself looking at it more than driving it and am having similar thoughts to the OP. (Plus, my car has 12,600 miles, which does keep me from driving it as oft as tempted.)

My initial lust for the car waned after I'd tinkered it to death. Maybe I need to go break something to rekindle our relationship!

As I write this I realize that it'd be very hard to tell 'the world' that these quandaries cause us anguish. We are fortunate to have to wrestle with these decisions!

2. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    With prices on the rise, I think about selling all the time. And since my car is living in a different state right now, I think about it even more. Lots of other cars I'd like to play with, but at this point I have nowhere to put them so it doesn't make any sense. And I'd really prefer to add cars rather than swap them out. I'll see the 308 next month and take it for a drive...probably change my mind again.

3. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It would be interesting to see what the difference in value would be if you doubled the mileage......or tripled or quadrupled.

4. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Really? I could buy all three of your cars right now, Sparky; including my old dry sump. No desire to own any F-cars at this point, or likely even again.

The reality is, FOR ME, a car is a car; it does what it does; it does not change. Things that do not change are innately boring to me; this I discovered after owning F-cars. So go play with your little toys; I have other more "growth-oriented/goal-worthy" undertakings to engage in.

5. forzatifosi

forzatifosi Karting

Aug 30, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    J
    Then why are you still here?

6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "I have other more "growth-oriented/goal-worthy" undertakings to engage in."

I agree. After I sell my 328 I'm thinking seriously of using my wealth and position to end hunger, feed the poor, stop global warming, and make life better for everyone on the planet!

Either that or buy an old Mopar... ;)

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I don't know... I think you either bond with a car or you don't. My 328 was always a special drive, regardless of whatever newer hardware was on the other side of the garage. I feel the same way about my Porsche 356 -- as good as the new ones are, nothing has the same vintage racer vibe. I get a rush every time I pull it out of the garage -- or just open the tonneau to have another look at the interior, which is a work of art in itself. It never changes, but it's an awesome little ride. Some things were perfect when they were made and can always be appreciated because of that.

Driving and preserving it has been educational for me, and hopefully future generations will enjoy having a fully road-ready 1956 Porsche around and actually seeing it in action on the road rather than learning about it on Wikipedia.

Some people get it. Some don't. But the market suggests that 308/328s are a sweet spot in the Ferrari lineage. I don't have my 328 anymore (still have a 308), but if I did there's no way I'd trade it for any of the later cars.

8. 308gt4++

308gt4++ Formula 3

Apr 12, 2015
    I feel sorry for those who never can understand the (sometimes admittedly subtle) intangibles of the World...you know like the pure artistic beauty of a Ferrari, the sound that it produces that's makes everyone happy when it passes by etc...

People who do not change can be boring too...you know, like those types that are always talkin' about their own growth and goals....who the heck cares about that stuff etc....

Anyway, I know you'll be OK, no matter what....your were once an F-car owner, and that's enough for me to know that you were a good guy, at least back then....

Peace brother...we still love you.....

9. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I bought a new Porsche 911 in 1999. I sold it in 2006. I never EVER bonded with the car. OTOH, it was extremely competent. It handled very well, had a reasonable (though insufficient) amount of power (as does every car with the possible exception of the Challenger Hellcat), it was comfortable and it never exhibited any quirky/weird behavior.

Despite it's competency I never "enjoyed" the car. My 328, OTOH, had the opposite effect, at least for the first 5-6 years. But now I have to admit that I might enjoy that 911... :)

10. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    (OP: Forgive us for hijacking your thread into a philosophic discussion.)

My &#8220;Porsche&#8221; is a BMW. It&#8217;s a 1987 325i convertible: 4 seats, huge trunk, tweaked suspension and engine, 190,000 miles, pristine condition.

There is a place in my heart for both the 325i and the 308 QV: one is stealth and practical; the other is a rolling carnival. However, I have bonded with both cars the same way: through a long process of working the mechanicals so that I feel like I know every bolt and screw.

I have not owned many sportscars in my lifetime because it takes me so long to feel comfortable with them and &#8220;understand&#8221; them. It is different for everybody. I am on the &#8220;keeper&#8221; extreme. I don&#8217;t want just any 308; I want MY 308.

11. 308gt4++

308gt4++ Formula 3

Apr 12, 2015
    Slightly off topic...but it seems the Hellcat 707hp engine will also be going into a Jeep(!!!)...I hope that's true....

Confirmed: The Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT Hellcat is coming | HorsepowerKings.com

12. 308gt4++

308gt4++ Formula 3

Apr 12, 2015
    To get back on topic, IMHO...(like others have also said)...it's probably a good time to sell....

Personally, I think there's a bubble developing, (or already developed), and if so, it's always best to take your profits when you can...and not look back...(just my 2 cents, and that's all it's worth etc.)....

13. forzatifosi

forzatifosi Karting

Aug 30, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    J
    I doubt i would ever sell anyway...but I don't think the bubble will majorly burst....i don't think we'll see pristine low mileage, cars for under 100k again IMO....I think those of us that really love our cars should hang on unless the $$ is needed. Even though I've only put 4500~ miles on my GTB since I bought it as a one owner in 97' I still get immense enjoyment...it sits in my office and makes me smile 365 days a year, hell, the annual drives to LFSC concours and Road America are worth it all by themselves

14. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    308/328 doesn't feel like a bubble. Remember a new Boxster/Cayman S is $80K+. 308/328 are relatively affordable even at current levels.

Some of the more modern stuff... I would dump last week.

15. 308gt4++

308gt4++ Formula 3

Apr 12, 2015
    Yeah...maybe you guys are right, and there's no real hard bubble to burst...but instead prices are close to (or have) topped out for now...which for someone that's thinking of selling anyway, in the short term, would still make it a good time to take profits, and not look back etc...we'll see...(I've had my 75 Dino for 34 years, and I'm not looking to sell right now, for any reason)....

16. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    If it doesn't appeal to you, just sell it.

For some like myself my 328 was a dream car as a child and now owning one makes it more special.

Anyway to make a long story short, my 328 is the best car I ever had, no reliability issues or nitty gritty probems, easy to service and to maintain, I've learned so much since taking ownership, I get urges to go for a drive, puts a smile on my face.

I really enjoy my 1989 - 328 GTS.

Cheers
    Johnny

17. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I've said a few times that if my car goes to a certain level I can't justify ownership. I have other priorities that a certain amount of money would have to support. Luckily I purchased a Mondial :D

I have no value concerns,

for now....