Chris Evans at Top Gear!......I thank You ;-) | FerrariChat

Chris Evans at Top Gear!......I thank You ;-)

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Bell Bloke, Jun 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Ha Ha, my prediction on the 10.3.15 here on Fchat ;-)
    Feeling rather smug actually.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/479518-kato-powerslide-portrait-avatar.html#post143787334

1.Ok so who for co-presenters? Place your bets.
    I'm guessing a female presenter 30-40 years old into cars obviously. Chris likes a female foil
    on his shows.

2.Next up young male presenter 20-25 years old. This would bring in a new dynamic between the other 2
    and attract a wider audience.

3.No more Stig! Instead bring on a guest retired racing driver to give it some more star appeal, this might not be practical for the show but it would be more fun.

Anyway what are your thoughts? Regards Bell Bloke

2. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I will wait for the real Top Gear team to reappear on Netflix.

3. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    The trick is going to be bringing the "edge" to Top Gear which is done by the unique personalities and interactions of the 3 hosts.
    The US Top Gear failed miserably because it did not have that edge the UK show used to have and hopefully will have with Chris.
    Huge pressure on him and the producers now...

4. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Never heard of Chris Evans on this side of the pond, hope he is at least funny!
    Hated the American Top Gear show, complete RUBBISH!

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

That'd be a good mix. Hopefully, BBC will hire you as executive producer! I think that like in sports a very successful player/coach is replaced by someone who fails in public opinion because they are considered to pale in comparison to a perceived legend & the public is not ready to accept a replacement. Then, when the public finally realizesbthat it is the team/show concept they really love, then the replacement's replacement will succeed...T

6. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #6 hank sound, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    Chris is one of the best out there. He has a good look - good delivery - and fun personality. I also like your thoughts on the makeup of a supporting cast.

As for the US Top Gear - - it was awful. Trying to copy the real deal, made its awfulness, even more obvious. :(:(

Cheers,

Hank

7. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Chris has great taste in cars, he loves his Ferrari's!
    The 328 I was lucky enough to own (and silly enough to sell) was owned by him in the 1990's.

8. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Tell me why Top Gear BBC never showed the Clarkson altercation? Today everything is on video and what would that have done for ratings? Sorry but I feel most every tv or movie personality is making too much money. Sports and everything. But we need to be entertained. As good or bad as it may be we pay good money for this stuff. Keep it coming!

9. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Ya know, Fred - - in this "reality show" age, I would have to agree with you.

Cheers,

Hank

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Big shoes to fill. That show was not about the cars, but about the crazy things they do with cars on the side. I never found Chris Evan's review of cars to be exciting. Accurate, yes, exciting, no.

11. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hey Chaps, they found a new James Bond in the end and replaced Sean.....;-)

12. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    "Accurate" is a good starting point. The writers and producers of "whatever" new show, will take care of the "exciting" part. It's called "showbiz". Take your seat and nibble on your popcorn. :)

Cheers,

Hank

13. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Good point. And IMO they found three good replacements for Connery - Lazenby, Moore, Daniel - which is what TG needs, three good replacements...T

14. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Why are they replacing all three, why don't they just have Chris Evans replace Clarkson and keep Hammond and May?

15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    They tried to keep Hammond and May and they turned down the offers which were substantial. Anyway, I seer the BBC as hypocritical. They fire Clarkson, can the show, but continue to rerun the he!! out of the show on BBC America. I wonder if the trio is getting residuals from the reruns?

Top Gear return: James May and Richard Hammond expected to turn down multi-million BBC offer and join Jeremy Clarkson on Netflix - News - TV & Radio - The Independent

Sorry, but I think the new Top Gear on BBC will be like New Coke. It just won't taste the same and it will fail. The same might happen with the Netflicks show. Top Gear was more than just a motoring show or the chemistry of the hosts. It was unique in what they did, where they did it, and how they did it.

16. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    You know being from the USA I have to rely on youtube top gear. Has always been very entertaining and it seems to me that watching it with different guys is going to be like buying a pizza and eating the box. Very filling but not very good.

17. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    I personally am more of a fan of what Jay Leno does, I really like his cool non razzmatazz style.
    I like the way he explains the car to the viewers and clearly understand s many aspects himself.
    However a show like his would be way too interesting to have mass market appeal. His is a show for real petrol heads and Top Gear is not. Top Gear is family entertainment and silliness with cars thrown in, I at that level it's fine.
    Would I want a show like Jay Leno? yes
    Would I want a show like Top Gear? Yes why not, true it was tired and did need an octane boost, but then it has been going for years.

18. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Well Chaps and Chapettes, Chris Evans is out of Top Gear!
    Personally I thought he was doing OK, however Matt Leblanc is most excellent and Chris Harris provides the show with a tasty helping of nerdom and true motoring journalism. The racing driver girl is very weak and so is Eddie Jordan, they are the ones that need to get out of the show.
    Anyway, pity to see Chris go....

19. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    "Stepping down from Top Gear. Gave it my best shot but sometimes that's not enough.
    I feel like my standing aside is the single best thing I can now do to help the cause."
    Chris Evans to step down as Top Gear presenter - BBC News

20. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
  21. EXCELSE

EXCELSE Karting

Nov 27, 2014
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Brughia
    BBC could ask Nigel Farage.

He is good at shouting and has some time to spare.

22. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Leno's youtube show is great. His TV show (based off the youtube show) is both tarted up and boring all at the same time. But I still love the youtube show. My only complaint is that he has at least 2 Ferrari's in his collection and he's never profiled any of them on his show. He did profile a couple of other nice Ferrari's that belong to the Petersen and also Adam Corrolla's 330GT2+2, but Leno owns a 365GT 2+2 and a 308 GTB, both of which i'd like to see segments on.

As for Top Gear, I'll also wait for Clarkson, Hammond and May to reappear on Amazon Priem. New show is called "The Grand Tour". Looking forward to it.

23. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Let me put down my wine and comment for a moment. Chris Evans..."whatevens." American top gear has hit it's own. The cast members have heart and gel magnificently. Two comedians and a real-deal performance driver. I'm totally into it and I'm now declaring my independence from British Top Gear. Happy 4th!

Dave

24. ch1953

ch1953 Rookie

Jun 8, 2013
    James Hunt's son is an obvious choice?

25. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    In my opinion, as a long time viewer of the show, the worst decision by the producers was to basically cut out the old threesome and paste in the new team to the old show. We had totally bought into the dialogue as coming from Jeremy and the other two. So when the new gang simply repeated the same shtick..."Some say our tame racing driver, etc; Now its time to put a star in our reasonably priced etc... Who'd like to see the lap of our star?" (as if it is a choice), you knew they were just reading words. So we got the feeling it was imposter substitutes.

They had a chance to reconceive/freshen the show, which they did not. I do like the fact that the segments are now more car focused without the jerk jeremy doing "boys will be boys" stuff. The on the road segments are wonderfully filmed as usual and far more interesting with the focus on the cars and the travel. And there are more serious car segments which I enjoy.

I think the Stig stuff is boring, watching a guy in a helmet drive around the same track time after time with the same fake applause over the line from the crowd. And please, Eddie Jordan? He was irrelevant on F1 coverage and is even more meaningless here. And "the girl"!? There must be some qualified car knowledgeable and articulate woman who would add to the show rather than as eye candy or fake sop in opposition to the misogyny of before.

At least Jeremy seemed interested in interviewing the celebrity and it was usually someone interesting not a continuing line up of B listers coming to shill for their next product. The fake introduction of each celeb by the other one and the limit of questions to "first car" and "best car" for the audience to "vote" on really gives nothing. With two "celebrities" on the segment we get no real info and now have to watch two meaningless segments of cars driving around through mud. A waste of time.

By sticking Chris Evans into Jeremy's slot he was made to be like a hyperactive adolescent, showing off to gain attention. While I was not originally entranced with the idea of Matt Leblanc, I have to say I was wrong. I think he has brought a nice relaxed "friend" atmosphere approach to the show which should be built on by the producers. That was the part that the original guys had down pat. You saw that in the old 'news" segment (which was eliminated to add the second 'celebrity') where the three hosts sat and talked. Yes, I know it was scripted for the one liners but at least we had a sense of what car guys can enjoy doing, talk about cars. It is now just slices of segments, some about cars, with way to much time given to boring repeats of the same tired stuff show after show.

I dont think Chris Evans was the problem. He is obviously a gear head and glib. But by putting him into reading "Jeremy's" words, with a frenetic voice and a hyperactive manner, he really never had a chance.

So Ok, what would I do? First cut the cutesy shtick. Focus on cars and having fun in cars and allow the new cast (without eddie and the girl) to bring their own styles and enjoyment of having cars and being in cars and hanging out together talking about cars, to the program. I think the problem starts at the top and it is time to bring in new producers who can allow the program to go to a different level. The old producers forgot, it was not really just about cars, it was about watching three guys (that we had come to know) hanging out with cars as the reason for being there. As a viewer, I felt I was the 4th guy sitting around with them hearing about their stories and trips. Now I just watch for the car stuff and am aggravated by all the meaningless trivia that was made palatable by the camaraderie of the hosts.

Will I buy Amazon prime in order to watch Jeremy, Richard and James do the same stuff? No, its not worth that much to me. It's only a car show after all.

My 2 pence worth.