Need help with fuel lines. | FerrariChat

Need help with fuel lines.

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Ak Jim, May 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I went to finally get my car going for the year, when I turned on the key there was a huge fuel leak in the line that runs thru the driver side rocker panel. Of course once the hose developed a leak the gas continued to drain out of the tanks. I grabbed a clamp to squeeze the fuel line to stop the gas and the hose was so brittle it just cracked there and started leaking where I put the clamp on. There was a brass fitting joining the fuel line just in front of the fuel pumps that I was able to get the old hose off and attach a new section of hose with a bolt clamped in the end (of course while doing this the gas ran down my arm and soaked my shirt). It stopped the leak but was a real mess and we had some drain pans under the car and caught about 6-7 gallons before I got the leak stopped.

Bottom line, check your gas lines! While most of mine were relatively new the line running thru the body was shot. I can't imagine what would have happened if I had been out driving the car, it could have been pretty ugly.

Now my real question, who has replaced this pressure and return hoses on a carb car. I was wondering if there are any things I should know or do to change the lines. It looks like the line comes up into the engine compartment and then hooks up to a "T" to feed both fuel rails. I'm not sure how to get started with this so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. squidmark

squidmark Karting

Sep 11, 2011
    Oxford
    Full Name:
    Howard Dent
    #2 squidmark, May 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Jim,

I did this on mine, as having stood for several years everything rubber was perished (on the car not me!) - fairly straightforward but you will need a helper; first buy your new hose (I stuck with the original type braided cloth covered) and find a suitable sized metal pipe that fits inside the old hose without making it stretch too much for obvious reasons. Then I lockwired it in place, and gently pulled the old hose out dragging the new one into place at the same time - you need someone to help, as a bit of pulling/pushing/jiggling is helpful from both ends.

Not too stressful, honest!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Jim and Howard!
    Thank you both for the heads up! I had "fuel line replacement" on the list of things I need to do, but now I will ensure that this main one is a top priority. Do either of you remember the hose diameters (inner and outer) and the approximate length?

Also, I did find a good price on the fuel crossover hoses (Part 114277 qty of 2)... $25 USD (each):

Fuel Tank Crossover Hose (34x85mm )- 114277: Ferrari 36 Part For 206 208 246 275 308 GT/4 308 GTB & GTS 308 GTB & GTS QV 308 GTBi & GTSi 328 330GTC 360 360 Challenge 365 GT 2+2 365 GTB/4 Daytona 365 GTC/4 365GT4 400 430 Challenge 512 BB 512 Bbi F40

I ordered and paid via PayPal and they sent the hoses DHL overnight for something like $13... which to Canada is really inexpensive.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Sam

4. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Thanks, did you pull the new hose from the back of the car to the front? Also in the front of the car do you get to the hose from on the top or bottom of the car?

5. squidmark

squidmark Karting

Sep 11, 2011
    Oxford
    Full Name:
    Howard Dent
    Yes, should have said - pulled them to the front and did it from underneath if I remember correctly. I had an accomplice 'feeding' the hose into the back of the sill/rocker whilst I hung on the front - that way the temporary join didn't come apart :)

Good luck, Howard.

6. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK

I'm heading off to work for about 11 days, I will give Dave Helms a call and have the new fuel lines waiting for me when I get back.

7. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I think I'm completely screwed! The old line is so stiff and brittle that when it bends it breaks. I'm thinking I'm going to have to run a line under the car.

8. squidmark

squidmark Karting

Sep 11, 2011
    Oxford
    Full Name:
    Howard Dent
    My only thought (if you want to retain the originality) would be to thread a piece of fairly soft wire inside the fuel line, then use that to pull through a new hose - haven't tried it in this scenario but it might work?

Best of luck, Howard.

9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Actually my wife suggested that. I got 1/16 braided steel cable. I put some gel super glue on the end then used a dremel tool to round the end of the cable. I was able to push it all the way thru the fuel line. Also at the back of the car there is an aluminum plate poprivited to the underside of the body that I took off, it allows access to the hose where it enters the back of the rocker panel.

10. squidmark

squidmark Karting

Sep 11, 2011
    Oxford
    Full Name:
    Howard Dent

In that case, great minds think alike...