Oil | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Oil

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Mondial 1985, Jun 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mondial 1985

Mondial 1985 Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Mark Alan Day
    Well, in my opinion, oil "brand" choice has more to do with the autombile mfrs' relationship to the refinery or the entities which support the refinery. Ever notice in the racing world that manfacturers are always changing colours? It's who the best sponser is that gets a place on the car, NOT what the best product is. Most "car" people don't use Texaco, Penzoil, or Quaker State but, as an example, Quaker State 10W-4 synth is probably no worse than Mobile1 10W-40 synth. I'm glad we had this discussion. I was going to swap that Amsoil for Red-Line, but now I know I don't need to. Ferrari recommended Agip back then and recomends Shell now simply because those two companys are doing more and did more for Maranello than, say, Valvoline. I mean, it's obvious with everyone adding "addatives" like "stop-leak" and the cars are still functioning flawlessly. "Stop-leak's" got to do something to the chemistry of the oil, but the cars are still running fine.

2. braq

braq Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Hill Island
    Full Name:
    Paul XXXcX
    you are dead on, get the chemistry right and maybe increase viscosity a little if leaks are coming up due to old age, but the brand is secondary and more sponsorship related choice,

cheers

braq

3. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    motul 8100 5w-40 ...uses less engine quieter

4. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Hi Rapalyea,

Thanks for your reply regarding the oil stop leak additive. Regarding digital and analog. I've listened to a lot of expensive digital front ends . No matter how good/ quiet it is I still long for the sound of a good turntable. Maybe my ears are accustomed to the distortion and shortcomings of analogs & tubes. I find the sound of digital sterile/ aseptic for my taste.

Audio Research

5. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    John Deere 15/40 plus fifty diesel oil in mine. I was told by a couple of people that diesel oil is superb. The older engines were not designed for the use of synthetics. By the way I have seen engines run 15 thousand hours on this oil and when disassembled were amazing as far as cylinder and bearing wear