Two People Killed in Sonex Plane Crash | FerrariChat

Two People Killed in Sonex Plane Crash

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by teak360, Jun 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Unfortunately Sonex founder and aircraft designer John Monet was killed in a factory Sonex today. There was one other fatality, I don't know who that was. The article doesn't yet state it was Monet as that info has not been officially released, but it was.

Two dead in plane crash at Oshkosh Corp.

2. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
  3. Get it right

Get it right Rookie

Jun 3, 2015
    Teak360,
    Not only were you incorrect in stating that John Monnett was killed, which you corrected, but you are also wrong about the Sonex "jet" being the airplaned involved, it was not. You should show some RESPECT and spend 30 seconds online and search the FACTS before you post misinformation about people or their products. I suggest you unplug your keyboard and refrain from sharing false and disrespectful information with rest of the world. If this posting is an example of the type of information shared on this forum, count me out!

4. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hopefully a mod removes your 1st post, and hopefully your last, soon.

5. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    1. I don't think anyone ever counted you in, as this is only your first post.

2. You need to chill out. A simple post making the correction would have sufficed - without the personal attack or use of caps and exclamation points. If this is the way you intend to continue communicating with others on this forum, then we will happily (and officially) "count you out."

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Consider yourself counted out.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass.

7. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Your words are the only ones disrespectful.
    You have chosen poorly.

8. Get it right

Get it right Rookie

Jun 3, 2015
    I apologize if I offended anyone, that was not my intent. I've actually visited with the Monnett's at various sport aviation gatherings over the years and they are a first class family that works harder than anyone in the business to produce, market and protect the products they sell. I was still in shock that this fatal accident happened and who was involved. Then I came across the tweak360 postings that was incorrect and put a bad light on the brand new Sonex Jet that just started flying the airshow circuit this year in hopes of promoting interest in buying, building and flying this new type of homebuilt aircraft. All of you can understand the importance of "protecting" your designs and products, which starts with doing damage control when misinformation is shared via the web. I have no need to post anything on this forum, but I just felt the need to help protect the Sonex name and the people behind it.

Sorry for the emotion in my first posting, and last.

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #9 Rifledriver, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015

You grossly misjudge people here. There was nothing stated or implied to put their product in a bad light. That was your reading something into the statement that was just not there. 90% of the people here are smart enough and experienced enough to know just because a plane crashes it is not an automatic indictment of the airplane.

Sorry about your friend but read the words, accept what people say is what they mean and assume less.

10. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #10 teak360, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    I have been a big fan of John Monnett ever since he created the Monnett Monerai sailplane kit way back in the 1970's. I'm also a big fan of the new jet. I heard from someone I thought reliable, and posted it. My mistake. I did research online at the time I made the posts and there was no info to the contrary. I meant no disrespect with my posts.

11. m5guy

m5guy Formula 3

Aug 17, 2008
    Ventura, CA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    This Facebook announcement was published 4 hours ago by Plane & Pilot:

"Sonex Aircraft CEO Jeremy Monnett (pictured) and Sonex assembly mechanic Mike Clark died on June 2, 2015, in an accident involving Sonex Sport Acro, N123SX, on Wittman Regional Airport. The cause of the accident remains under investigation by the FAA, NTSB and Sonex Aircraft.

On June 3, Sonex Aircraft Founder John Monnett confirmed to staff that Sonex Aircraft, LLC, will continue to operate despite the holes left by Jeremy and Mike’s absence. “It would unquestionably be Jeremy’s wish that the Sonex company and the worldwide community of Sonex and AeroConversions customers carry on,” he said.

Jeremy Monnett also served as president of the Airplane Kit Industry Association and was active in the local Oshkosh community in various civic groups. More than a thousand people attended a memorial service for him held at the EAA AirVenture Museum on Sunday, June 7, 2015.

The staff of Plane & Pilots offers its deepest sympathy to the Monnett families, the Sonex staff, and the company’s many customers and friends."