Current Testarossa Values | Page 30 | FerrariChat

Current Testarossa Values

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by UAS, Nov 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Cool!

I thought I had high mileage at 65k miles lol

Shamile

Freeze. ..Miami Vice!

2. ignominus

ignominus Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    Hi All,

I am thinking of selling my '86 Testarossa monospecchio monodado. I own it since 1990 and almost never use it. It displays a genuine 22000 km. It is in its red original paint, with black interior red carpets, and in like-new condition. All cambelts new and runs like new. It is French registered.

Any idea which price I should expect for it ? I don't want to ask professional sellers and I do not trust them... I thought 85,000 euros could have been good but it clearly seems prices have gone up.

Thanks for the feedback !

3. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    If you sell it for €85,000, someone will get the bargain of a lifetime. There are very few low mileage monospecchio Testarossas around because in those days most people used their cars. It wasn't until 1989-1990 that some cars were bought new by speculators and hardly ever used.

My personal opinion is that you should expect over €200k, perhaps even €250k, based on recent adverts I've seen and assuming it has all books, tools etc. A 1986 monospecchio sold at the Artcurial auction in February this year for €200k, with 41,000km.

David

4. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    Now that is what I'm talkin' about. Congratulations for using your car as intended Will.

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Sorry for my ignorance; do I see this correct ?: one hundred thousand miles ?

Congratulations !!

6. Total Recall

Total Recall Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    #731 Total Recall, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
    Hi,

Well David has more or less said exactly what I would have said re value.

Obviously it still depends on the day at an auction - and equally timing if advertised privately - but I would imagine either way there are a lot of people waiting for a very low mileage monospecchio like yours - and yes that is very low mileage for a monospecchio for the reasons David mentioned.

You probably saw that the 70,000 Kilometer one at Silverstone in non original colour (still a nice car ofc) went for 125k euros so yes it`s got to be 200k plus really.

I`m going to sound like a hypocrit now - and I suppose it`s easy to say for someone like me with an already high mileage car - but - mileage isn`t everything - and it`s awesome to see the pic of that 512 TR with the mileage showing a few posts up!

It can`t be denied that a 60,000 mile car in good order will have a lower value than a 10,000 mile car in good order - but the fun gained more than makes up for it - and in a way you can`t go wrong.

With the rising prices, even the higher miles cars have increased in value massively - if it was worth 1/2 of a low mileage car when prices were low then it still will be when prices are high.

However if prices crash then at least you have still had loads of fun driving it rather than having kept it in storage hardly used for nothing!

Dom.

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    hello,

5 posts already but not filling out your profile
    would be nice if you would fill out that we know a little about you.
    this may help you also to get more answers

8. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    The results of this auction should give you a good idea - yours sounds quite a bit more desirable than this one to collectors (as you have much lower mileage, and original books etc).

Automobiles sur les Champs 8 - Vente N° 2769 - Lot N° 49 | Artcurial | Briest - Poulain - F. Tajan

9. alexwagner

alexwagner Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    #734 alexwagner, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
  10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I think the Silverstone auction (I was there) suffered from very high estimates/reserves (with the Ferraris). Ahead of the auction I wondered what they knew that we didn't, and then realised that they didn't. The 512M bid to 240k GBP, around 276k GBP including premium. That's high for a LHD ex Japan car in the UK. The last example also ex Japan in Coys in December went for 165k. So as I noted before, that's a 50% increase in less than six months.

LHD 512Ms, good European ones which haven't been globetrotting, regularly pop up for 250-320k euros and sell quickly. So a bid to 276k GBP - that's 386,000 euros - for a Japanese car is not any sign of cooling and rather the opposite.

(Unfortunately the estimate on the M Coupe turned out to be much too low, so I drove home empty handed.)

11. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
  12. 512man

512man Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tobbe
    In my area it seems like all F-cars sells,and the dealers advertice for secondhand because they sold out....Several 348,355 sells faster and with higher prices than last year.

13. Willdief

Willdief Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Mercer Island, WA
    Full Name:
    Will Diefenbach
    Hi Tom and Mel - yes, 100K miles... and the car is described as one the best running and driving flat 12s in the area by the local dealer. Can't wait to get out for a couple of drives this weekend! I'll be entering her in our regional FCA concours this summer, too, and expect a good score given originality and condition.
    Cheers,
    Will

14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Hat's OFF / chapeau !!
    This is what these cars were invented for imo ....NOT many will agree with us though ...

Post us some pics if possible ! Enjoy her to the MAXX !

15. yellowtr

yellowtr Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Peter
    One thing to bear in mind with TR's, history, bills to prove work, providence is utter key to prices. Don't believe the hype on advertised prices in the slightest.

16. Total Recall

Total Recall Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    #741 Total Recall, May 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 30, 2015
    Yeah, can`t beat history - knowing what`s been done and what still has to be done.

So when do you think the your 100K mile 512 TR will need an engine rebuild Will? 300k ?

Should give you another 200k miles to play with then :)

The 4v TR engine in it`s various forms must be one of the most reliable old school exotic engines out there. I know the diff`s can be a problem - but you rarely see a TR advertised with a rebuilt engine.

308`s are generally seen as cheap to maintain and reliable - and I`m sure they would be - but the sodium valves often get them in the end (in the 2v versions). In the one I bought it got to 98k before they took out the rest of the engine - no doubt the owner thought at 90k+ valve failure was a myth!

My Maserati Merak got to 50k.

Again old V12 Lambo`s seem to be renowned for how reliable they are - but you often see them with just 20, 30, 40k on them advertised having had an engine rebuild.

No doubt a lot of it is down to abuse or being left unused, which isn`t really the engine`s fault - but I`m sure there`s plenty of TR`s abused and left stood for a long time - yet you still don`t see many with a rebuilt engine, so they must be really well built and robust.

No doubt there`s the odd case but it must be one of the few Ferrari`s out there, that (with simple rotuine maintenance) you don`t have to worry about the engine.

Another reason to keep driving them!

Dom.

17. Redliner

Redliner Rookie

May 11, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Full Name:
    Glenn

Well put Dom, and very true. When you really think about it, these TR engines are truly bulletproof themselves. I have seen VERY few examples come up for sale over the last 10-15 years with a rebuild being mentioned in the description. Wish that was the case for the diffs, but if the diff has aleady been upgraded, these are very solid robust cars that can go quite a long time as long as the general maint is kept up of course. I've been extremely impressed by the overall durability and toughness of these TR engines.

18. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Just saw very mint red/tan 512TR (kms 25.000) in a showroom for K€ 225 .... pffffff

19. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    Wow ; I am proud of you .... enjoying your TR as much as possible; I just bought my 512M in Dec. took it out from storage in May and just drove it 2 times .... need to drive/enjoy it more like you ....

20. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    The more you drive them the better they become. The engines are bulletproof. its worth taking a little bit on the value for some good one on one drive time. Few extra miles may cost you a bit but oh so worth it. Sitting in the garage collecting dust and deferring even simple things like an oil change will do no good for the car. It's nice to find the happy medium. Maintain drive and enjoy the fruitful appreciation of the car. Nothing wrong with sitting in the middle pocket. You wind up with a full experience. It's not always about the money. At least for me. The guy who brought my car just sold her a made a really good profit and I am so happy for him because during the time he owned her he drove her. He got the full experience. Get behind the wheel. Let her make your heart beat. Get the juices going.

R

21. Willdief

Willdief Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Mercer Island, WA
    Full Name:
    Will Diefenbach
    I have to agree with Mr. Chairman and Dom. The engines are very reliable. The transaxle not so much :). I had the double pleasure of a diff failure about 40k miles ago following which i upgraded to the F512M unit. But a couple of years ago the ring gear failed (not due to stress but to a metallurgical flaw, we think) resulting in another rebuild.
    Regular use makes every part of the car happier especially the driver.

As far as impact on value of the high miles I am sure that there are some very different opinions on this forum. When the time comes for me to sell the car to the next caretaker I am going to rely on having service documentation from new, continuous use and no deferred maintenance on my side (not to mention just two owners and still having everything that was delivered with the car) to support a decent price.

Until that time I will keep driving!
    Cheers,
    Will

22. snowsports1

snowsports1 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    How much do you think a Rosso UK rhd 512tr is worth with 3,500 miles? Concours winner totally immaculate?

23. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
  24. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    More if it's a late 94. If it's as clean as you say. 94 is the cream of the crop for 512TR. Late 94 has upgraded diff.

R

25. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    Yes, Yes, Yes .....