Clutch replacement time! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Clutch replacement time!

Discussion in '360/430' started by chefcore, May 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DrG.

DrG. Karting

Jan 2, 2010
    Limassol-CYPRUS
    Full Name:
    George Eleftheriou

+1

2. DrG.

DrG. Karting

Jan 2, 2010
    Limassol-CYPRUS
    Full Name:
    George Eleftheriou
    +1

3. Dan87951

Dan87951 Rookie

Nov 9, 2013
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dan S
    Coming from the guy who tried to use a F1 clutch example on a 3 pedal car... Where did I say I "know more"? Just because I reiterate my personal experience with the 360 clutch longevity you take personal offense to it? I guess me and a few of my friends have "very broken" cars then. Doing a simple google search on the internet about 360 clutch life says I'm not the only one who thinks clutch life leaves a lot of be desired. Happy Motoring!

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A simple internet search can support the idea that Elvis is still alive. Hardly a good source of reliable information. Eddie and I will rely on real life information from our experiences and experiences from other professionals we trust.

I have seen many F1 clutches go beyond 40k miles. A client was pissed when his first only only went 75k. His second was at 50k and over about 25% wear when a bad trans input seal saturated it with oil.

5. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    So how long do your internet friends think a manual clutch on a 360 lasts? Also, if you could provide links to all the data on the real-world testing of aftermarket clutches versus the Valeo, that would be very helpful.

Thanks.

6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Yeah whatever. What does Rustybits know.. I mean he only fixes them for a living. Versus someone from the peanut gallery..

I take his input anyday over some guy on the internet who compares a 360 to a Porsche and an Aston. What a 928 and a DB9? Really? Comparing 360 either for driving or reliability is a laugh. My 79' 928 had the takeoff bearing seize and a finger on the pressure plate fall off a few years back. I suppose the clutch is a crap design right? Yeah it would be if it was 10 years since I changed it. FWIW I've owned by 360 4 years (3 pedal) and clutch is fine.

Note you didn't mention if your car was F1 or 3pedal. I presume the 928 and DB9 are both 3 pedals?

Caveat emptor folks with who posts on a forum. I'll trust Rustybits thank you.

7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Eddie. You don't have to get into it. Some guy posting with a comment stating the 360 clutch is crap compared to a 928 or DB9 clutch.. I mean really? Aston or 928 as "reliable" when you forget about 90% of the actual repairs that actually get done. My 928 is a maintenance pig (so to speak). Of course everyone posts about their trouble free examples...

These guys post with opinions.. but when cars break you post fact and information that actually helps fix the problem.

I know who to listen to. :)

8. chefcore

chefcore Karting

May 8, 2014
    Virginia
    Boy, this thread got really contentious - sorry guys :/ I think I'll just trust my shop to make the calls on what to do while the car is under the knife :)

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The world would be a better place if everyone did the same.

10. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Is there a reason that you want to do this? I am curious since the drop in revs in the cars stock form presented me with quite the mind puzzle. It took a lot of practice to feel accomplished with rev matching in different situations because of the light OEM setup.

Side note: I run into folks all the time who say, " I don't know how you can enjoy that car here there is no place to open it up!" They always look like I am lying when I tell them that I get a lot of enjoyment out of perfect shifts, no matter what speed I am going. It is true though!

11. Byebye911

Byebye911 Karting

May 8, 2014
    Norway
    Full Name:
    J.G
    Brian Crall : Do you change the position sensors when you change clutch? Or can you change the sensor without removing transmision?

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yes

Yes

13. Byebye911

Byebye911 Karting

May 8, 2014
    Norway
    Full Name:
    J.G
    Okey, thanks.

14. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    If I may share some insight... I drove my first 2004 360 F1 to 22k miles when I sold it and it had 78% of clutch life left... Bought my second 360, a 2002 6 speed 3 pedal and sold it with 25K miles and it also had 75% clutch life left... Both cars were driven spiritedly and tracked a few times, but nothing abusive... So I do concur that a properly setup OEM clutch is the way to go as that is how the car was conceived, followed by using driving techniques that will help prolong the life of the clutch...

15. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    You've never been told in your whole life that clutch wear is a function of driving style... Using a stick??

16. chefcore

chefcore Karting

May 8, 2014
    Virginia
    Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the question. I agree with you 100% regarding perfect shifts being more important/fun than max speed - that's why I have only driven manuals my entire life, and I live in VA (not a friendly state for speeding!) Lately I've just become obsessed with fast shifts, and was looking to up the level of difficulty :)

17. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Apparently not, till I told him.

18. zipperkarting

zipperkarting Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2014
    Jersey & France
    Full Name:
    paul troalic
    Well perhaps no Kevlar clutch on my F1 then!
    Shame as they are priced very keenly.
    What are your views on alloy flywheels then?

19. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    As a moonlighting clutch salesman, you should know that clutch life is extremely dependent on driving style... whether F1 or 3 pedal. You have now been told!